Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

Quote Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
    YOU DO NOT need corporate branding to provide a quality cup of coffee, or plate of food, or other consumption experience.
    I agree totally!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    As Wiggins alluded to some pages ago, the problem really isn't the coffee--it's the "brand" and the "feeling" that brand evokes. Starbucks evokes a very modern, shopping-mall-esque, dare I say non-wholesome feeling; Walmart would evoke a very similar feeling. As would a 7-11 replacing Coke Corner.

The McDonalds fries in Frontierland suffered from a similar feeling of being WAY out of place--no matter how good the fries were.

Swift, Coke, Hills Brothers or Carnation never sufferd from this problem, and the feelings they evoked were much differnt than Starbucks, Walmart or McDonalds

I agree here, too. I don't need Main Street to be a historical recreation, but it should feel welcoming and homey and SB ... feels corporate. The real world, instead of an idealized space. Again, at Disney I expect an idealized world, with things that I can't find in the outside world. I don't want KFC to replace the Plaza Inn chicken, I don't want Subway to replace a sandwich shop, that kind of thing. One of the things I want from Disney is to displace the outside, real world for a while. It will be there waiting for me when I come back, it doesn't need to intrude on my in-park time.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

All of the merchandise in the Emporium is made by other manufacturers.

Just as Disney buys products made by other manufactuers and puts the Disney name on it, so too could they have done that with the coffee.

As Wiggins alluded to some pages ago, the problem really isn't the coffee--it's the "brand" and the "feeling" that brand evokes. Starbucks evokes a very modern, shopping-mall-esque, dare I say non-wholesome feeling; Walmart would evoke a very similar feeling. As would a 7-11 replacing Coke Corner.

The McDonalds fries in Frontierland suffered from a similar feeling of being WAY out of place--no matter how good the fries were.

Swift, Coke, Hills Brothers or Carnation never sufferd from this problem, and the feelings they evoked were much differnt than Starbucks, Walmart or McDonalds
    But I don't often drink coffee, especially since generic coffee has no standards. I know what I like at Starbucks and I know what to get when I'm there. They are making it easy for consumers to go in and get what they have on a regular basis outside of the park. They need to keep the Starbucks brand because a Disney branded latte may not be as intriguing as the Starbucks latte people regularly have.

I see nothing wrong with this. I'm sure they will integrate the Starbucks brand with their own environmental design and the Starbucks at DCA even has Disney cups.

Walmart and McDonalds give off a cheap feel so I don't think it can really be compared to a premium coffee.
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

• -

I would say that Starbucks evokes a much different feeling than Walmart or McDonalds. A premium coffee brewer provides a more high-end feeling, whereas a bargain store or a fast food establishment would seem to be likened more toward the lower end of the spectrum.

As far as not being around during the turn of the century, neither was nescafe which, by the way, is a corporate brand.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Closed Account

Would people be OK with an Apple store on Main Street? If not, why not?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    As far as not being around during the turn of the century, neither was nescafe which, by the way, is a corporate brand.
    Well, Nestle has been around since 1905. But I digress.

Personally, I don't recall ever seeing the coffee brand indicated anywhere. Definitely possible I just missed it. It certainly wasn't plastered on either side of the door.

You can't really compare a consumable with a laptop though. Having an issue with Starbucks coffee is like having an issue with bottled Coke that they sell at their stands.

There is already a Starbucks at DCA and it's integrated well. How do you guys feel about that one?

• Minion

Apple sells modern electronic products while Starbucks sells a product that has been around for centuries.

• -

Well, Nestle has been around since 1905. But I digress.
    They certainly weren't making coffee back then. Their coffee product didn't come out until 1938 and that was in first introduced in Switzerland. Not even close to turn of the century America.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Apple sells modern electronic products while Starbucks sells a product that has been around for centuries.
    Again...

It's not the PRODUCT, it's the BRAND.

Sears has been around since the turn of the century. Anyone want a Sears on MS?

Consumables? High-quality? Product been around for a while? Then how about a Cheesecake Factory on MS?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    They certainly weren't making coffee back then. Their coffee product didn't come out until 1938 and that was in first introduced in Switzerland. Not even close to turn of the century America.
    Well, Starbucks dates to 1971, so by your logic it doesn't belong either.

Can you address the second, pertinent part of my post?
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 08-27-2013 at 09:42 AM.

• Minion

Again...

It's not the PRODUCT, it's the BRAND.

Sears has been around since the turn of the century. Anyone want a Sears on MS?

Consumables? High-quality? Product been around for a while? Then how about a Cheesecake Factory on MS?
    They are going to blend the brand into Main Street and make it fit. The concept art does not even remind me of a modern, typical Starbucks at all.

• Closed Account

The Starbucks brand, by its very nature, cannot be "blended" into Main Street.

• Minion

In your opinion.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Mrs. J. Depp

Like most things on these boards, I honestly can't believe there's even a debate about this. YES we're getting a Starbucks in Disneyland, YES it's being themed as best it can to the Main Street theme and the concept drawings look awesome and so do the very subtle Starbucks signs, NO this isn't the end of the world and Disneyland will still be the same park

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

I raise the question again, do you take issue with the one in California Adventure? I didn't even know it was there when I walked past it. It will blend into Main Street. They won't use the white and green logo and they will fit it into the Disneyland design rather than fit it into the Starbucks design.

A Cheesecake factory would be a bit much but there isn't much branding going on there. I think people equate Disney coffee to just a cheap coffee with a lack of variety. It's tough to train a bunch of cast members how to make a bunch of premium coffees. They are taking the best of the best and incorporating it into their culture. I wouldn't mind one bit walking up Main Street during the Christmas holiday with a cafe mocha.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast