Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

• Science Factual

Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

I'm with FrolloFan here.

Plus the Blue Sky Cellar concept emphasizes that they're keeping the old timey 'skit' phones in the new Market House as well.

To me, this was one of, if not the best features.

Love that phone. Try it sometime if you haven't.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeekery View Post
    I raise the question again, do you take issue with the one in California Adventure?
    Not at all. DCA doesn't come close to DL in terms of taking someone to "elsewhen."

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Well, Starbucks dates to 1971, so by your logic it doesn't belong either.
    I never maintained that Starbucks was period specific. I put up the information about Nescafe to counter the argument that the other examples of branding that were being used were period specific. It was an illustration that the thing that Starbucks is replacing does not belong on Main Street either.

While I have always been a proponent of the argument that one out of theme attraction does not justify the addition of another, that is not the case here. An out of theme element is not being added in addition to others, it is replacing another one that was there before, thus keeping the status quo. If they must go with a non-period specific brand, I would rather they go with one that actually tastes good and not the sweatsock-brewed nescafe.

Can you address the second, pertinent part of my post?
    If it is the question of the signage that you are referring to, I don’t recall. I wouldn’t have noticed the Starbucks signs at the door either if someone hadn’t pointed them out. The only sign that stands out is the Market House name itself. One actually has to practically be walking into the place before noticing the Starbucks name. As pointed out by others it is much more subtle than the sponsorship of the past where the name of the sponsor would be prominently displayed on the sign for the establishment.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    An out of theme element is not being added in addition to others, it is replacing another one that was there before, thus keeping the status quo.
    They aren't keeping the status quo though, they have gutted the entire store and the historic architecture that goes along with it. I can live with the fact they are putting Starbucks, even though I don't approve, but I cannot forgive their blatant disrespect and quick handed decision to gut one of the buildings that has been there since the very beginning. If the building didn't have the ample capacity in its current setting, they should have found a more suitable home.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 08-27-2013 at 11:14 AM.

• Singing Drinker

I never maintained that Starbucks was period specific. I put up the information about Nescafe to counter the argument that the other examples of branding that were being used were period specific. It was an illustration that the thing that Starbucks is replacing does not belong on Main Street either.

While I have always been a proponent of the argument that one out of theme attraction does not justify the addition of another, that is not the case here. An out of theme element is not being added in addition to others, it is replacing another one that was there before, thus keeping the status quo. If they must go with a non-period specific brand, I would rather they go with one that actually tastes good and not the sweatsock-brewed nescafe.

If it is the question of the signage that you are referring to, I don’t recall. I wouldn’t have noticed the Starbucks signs at the door either if someone hadn’t pointed them out. The only sign that stands out is the Market House name itself. One actually has to practically be walking into the place before noticing the Starbucks name. As pointed out by others it is much more subtle than the sponsorship of the past where the name of the sponsor would be prominently displayed on the sign for the establishment.
    Agreed. I'm remembering the VERY prominent sponsorship on rides (logos added to ride signage, sponsors shilling in line videos etc.) as well as the ubiquitous Kodak logos only recently removed. The Starbucks branding and new signs on the exterior (from the photos so far) are near invisible by comparison.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    They aren't keeping the status quo though, they have gutted the entire store and the historic architecture that goes along with it. I can live with the fact they are putting Starbucks, even though I don't approve, but I cannot forgive their blatant disrespect and quick handed decision to gut one of the buildings that has been there since the very beginning. If the building didn't have the ample capacity in its current setting, they should have found a more suitable home.
    Remodeled, yes. Removed the period feel, it doesn’t appear so. It doesn’t at all look like a modern Starbucks inside. From the displays at Blue Sky, they have been trying to make it as close to period as possible, even down to fabric selection. In addition, the former “show” elements of the party lines and the non-original stove will return as well.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Closed Account

That wooden-railed queue area doesn't look too period-correct to me.

• Minion

Exactly, the references to Starbucks are subtle. It took me a minute to discern the Starbucks sign out front in the picture provided. I am satisfied that they blended it in with the signs on Main Street rather than simply putting in a modern Starbuck's sign.

• Closed Account

How soon before people start calling it "Starbucks" instead of "Market House?"

• Minion

Who cares what people call it. Market House, Starbucks, Coffee House, or whatever they call it, it is their way of identifying the place. I hear people calling the Haunted Mansion "Jack's house" during the holiday season, but I don't really care anymore because that is how they personally identify it.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Remodeled, yes. Removed the period feel, it doesn’t appear so. It doesn’t at all look like a modern Starbucks inside. From the displays at Blue Sky, they have been trying to make it as close to period as possible, even down to fabric selection. In addition, the former “show” elements of the party lines and the non-original stove will return as well.
    That is irrelevant, the interior layout is very modern in design with its wide open spaces and long queue lines. The small and quaint feeling (mom and pop store) was very much apart of the decoration and purpose of Main Street. The thematic elements fall flat and get lost when it doesn't have a believable environment.

• Singing Drinker

How long until people start saying "Disney's California Adventure" rather than DCA?

And why is that a problem? Why is what the fanbase going to call something a factor that should be considered beyond "are they going to shorten it or change it to something embarrassing or obscene"?
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Singing Drinker

That is irrelevant, the interior layout is very modern in design with its wide open spaces and long queue lines. The small and quaint feeling (mom and pop store) was very much apart of the decoration and purpose.
    So just to clarify - they should sacrifice the ability to handle the anticipated customer load in an environment themed appropriately and opt instead to radically reduce traffic flow and business in favor of cramped space because it feels more period appropriate?
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    So just to clarify - they should sacrifice the ability to handle the anticipated customer load in an environment themed appropriately and opt instead to radically reduce traffic flow and business in favor of cramped space because it feels more period appropriate?
    Yes, that is the whole point of Main Street my friend, it is an attraction in itself and a major part of Disneyland's heritage. If capacity is a problem for a certain known product, they shouldn't be installing such a thing in the first place in this location. There are a million other areas around the park where this could have been installed successfully without degrading Main Street into a fancy mall.

• Singing Drinker

Yes, that is the whole point of Main Street my friend, it is an attraction in itself and a major part of Disneyland's heritage. If capacity is a problem for a certain known product, they shouldn't be installing such a thing in the first place in this location. There are a million other areas around the park where this could have been installed successfully without degrading Main Street into a fancy mall.
    OK, good to know where you stand. I disagree and would rather be able to purchase a coffee without a half hour to hour wait and to hopefully navigate the store without a person using a stroller inadvertently blocking any ability to move in the aisles.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast