Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Re: New Disneyland Main Street Starbucks Concept Art

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    OK, good to know where you stand. I disagree and would rather be able to purchase a coffee without a half hour to hour wait and to hopefully navigate the store without a person using a stroller inadvertently blocking any ability to move in the aisles.
    So you don't believe Main Street is vital to the success and feeling that Disneyland provides? They should just gut whatever they want, even at the expense of this rare jem? People need to realize that Starbucks is not more important than the health and showmanship of the park. If there is an hour wait for something, it needs to be relocated to somewhere else on this 160 acre property.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 08-27-2013 at 11:44 AM.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    That wooden-railed queue area doesn't look too period-correct to me.
    They didn’t have wood at the turn of the century? They surely weren’t working with monofilaments or carbon-fiber alloys back then.

The queue area is one of those modern problems that must be overcome. The wooden railings are a way of back-dating a modern problem to fit into that period. In other words, if a typical small town store of that time period had to deal with the volume of people that Disneyland deals with, this would have been the solution. This is much better than the alternative retractable seatbelt style line dividers that Disney uses in the other Main Street locations. I would love to see them changed to something like this.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    So you don't believe Main Street is vital to the success and feeling that Disneyland provides? They should just gut whatever they want, even at the expense of this rare jem? People need to realize that Starbucks is not more important than the health and showmanship of the park. If there is an hour wait for something, it needs to be relocated to somewhere else on this 160 acre property.
    I don't buy your argument that the inclusion of a named, popular brand - as has been repeatedly noted, it joins NesCafe, Coke, Carnation and many others who've all had sponsorship of Main Street locations over the years - is going to destroy the vitality of Main Street.

I can't see how a themed, minimally branded outlet for a popular chain equates to abandoning Main Street. *shrug* There is literally zero common ground for us on this one, you care more than I do, please continue this discussion without me.

I'd also like to add that at no point did I remotely even mention anything regarding Main Street in the manner which you state, please do not put straw men in my mouth.
    Last edited by BogLurch; 08-27-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• -

That is irrelevant, the interior layout is very modern in design with its wide open spaces and long queue lines. The small and quaint feeling (mom and pop store) was very much apart of the decoration and purpose of Main Street. The thematic elements fall flat and get lost when it doesn't have a believable environment.
    Irrelevant? The show elements are very much a part of what made that place have the period specific feel and were elements relied on by the opposition as things that were definitely going to be removed. As far as a quaint, small feeling, the store may still have that. It is really hard to judge scale from an artist rendering as they always look open and spacious. The truth is, there is just not that much room in the store to create a giant ballroom feeling. Will there be more space than before? Most likely. Can you throw a baseball and never hit the far wall? Unlikely. Remember the artist sketch was drawn without two of the walls which gives the drawing a much more open feeling than one can ever have while standing in the actual room.

If capacity is a problem for a certain known product, they shouldn't be installing such a thing in the first place in this location.
    Capacity should no longer be a problem for this location, thankfully.

As far as placing this somewhere else, this is a perfect location. A cup of coffee is something people will look for upon entering Disneyland first thing in the morning and just before exiting to make their drive home in the evening. That is why the one in CA Adventure was placed in the location it where it now sits as well.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Closed Account

Yes, that is the whole point of Main Street my friend, it is an attraction in itself and a major part of Disneyland's heritage. If capacity is a problem for a certain known product, they shouldn't be installing such a thing in the first place in this location. There are a million other areas around the park where this could have been installed successfully without degrading Main Street into a fancy mall.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    You are correct in that it's not necessary, however unless Disney grows their own coffee, they will be buying from a brand. I guarantee that brand will offer them much cheaper prices if Disney agrees to advertise that they're using that brand, which in turn increases profits. *shrugs* It's business, which to the dismay of many is what Disney is.

Also, advertising a well known, popular brand (maybe not so popular on here, but undeniably popular in general) will increase sales. Another good business move.
    Disney has for decades had sponsorship for everything from food to attractions. But they didn't convert every one into a retail location for the sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeekery View Post
    I think people equate Disney coffee to just a cheap coffee with a lack of variety. It's tough to train a bunch of cast members how to make a bunch of premium coffees. They are taking the best of the best and incorporating it into their culture. I wouldn't mind one bit walking up Main Street during the Christmas holiday with a cafe mocha.
    Just hide a bunch of Keurig machines behind the existing counter and produce whatever exotic coffee you want. If the issue was with Disney's old BAD coffee, then just replace it. You don't have to install an entire retail location for a brand.

Agreed. I'm remembering the VERY prominent sponsorship on rides (logos added to ride signage, sponsors shilling in line videos etc.) as well as the ubiquitous Kodak logos only recently removed. The Starbucks branding and new signs on the exterior (from the photos so far) are near invisible by comparison.
    I'll never forget the AT&T stuff all over Indiana Jones.
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    Just hide a bunch of Keurig machines behind the existing counter and produce whatever exotic coffee you want. If the issue was with Disney's old BAD coffee, then just replace it. You don't have to install an entire retail location for a brand.
    My point is though, that people know what to expect when buying a Starbucks coffee. They will sell way more Starbucks coffee than any private labeled coffee any day of the week.

Plus, a corp like Disney would rather pay for the rights to Starbucks than Keurig which is still 'just add water' coffee.

OK, good to know where you stand. I disagree and would rather be able to purchase a coffee without a half hour to hour wait and to hopefully navigate the store without a person using a stroller inadvertently blocking any ability to move in the aisles.
    If all the coffee sold in every location in the park was all Starbucks, then there would be no reason to create a specific Starbucks retail location with expansive queuing, since the coffee fix could be gotten anywhere.

• Closed Account

Exactly. Some of the best coffee I know of is served in fine restaurants. Have no idea what the brand is. Disney absolutely could have had good coffee if they had wanted to, without restoring to building a Starbucks. Guess in the long run selling the sponsorship and taking a cut of the profits is more lucrative.

Cha-ching!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Exactly. Some of the best coffee I know of is served in fine restaurants. Have no idea what the brand is. Disney absolutely could have had good coffee if they had wanted to, without restoring to building a Starbucks. Guess in the long run selling the sponsorship and taking a cut of the profits is more lucrative.

Cha-ching!!
    Maybe I just think about this differently since I'm in marketing, but if 10 people walked by a generic Disney coffee shop, how many would stop and get coffee compared to 10 people walking past a Starbucks in Disneyland?

Nobody does market research like Disney so I'm sure they may ruffle some feathers of the traditionalists but they are a customer service company. They know what's best for their brand and their bottom line.

• Closed Account

they are a customer service company.
    Well, they used to be an entertainment company.

• -

But they didn't convert every one into a retail location for the sponsor.
    No, only some of them. Just as here, it is only one sponsor that is getting a retail location, not all of them. Whether or not they get Chevron to sponsor Autopia again, they are not going to be putting gas pumps in Tomorrowland.

• Closed Account

I'll never forget the AT&T stuff all over Indiana Jones.
    That was an odd sponsorship.

Simply put, sponsorhips can be done seamlessly and well within theme (See, e.g., Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad; Pendletons, Coke Corner) or they can be done clumsily, non-creatively and in ways that can and do negatively impact theme (See, e.g., McDonalds Connestoga Wagon; Starbucks). Some sponsorships are sort of in-between--like the Dole Whip stand near Tiki Room.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast