View Poll Results: What impress Walt most at Disney since he died?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Disneyland Resort

25 46.30%
  • Walt Disney World

5 9.26%
  • Tokyo Disneyland

29 53.70%
  • Disneyland Paris

4 7.41%
  • Disney Stores

1 1.85%
  • Disney Cruise Line

5 9.26%
  • Pixar Animation

13 24.07%
  • The Animation Renaissance under Katzenberg, Roy. . .

20 37.04%
  • Thomas Staggs' incoming MagicBand option

0 0%
  • The acquisition of non-Disney characters (Marvel, Star Wars, Muppets, Miley, etc.)

5 9.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• former CM

What would Walt like most today? Dland, WDW, Tokyo Dland, the cruise line, etc.

If Walt returned (oh stop sighing and read on! ) today, what in the Disney company would he be most impressed with? You may consider any creations since 1966.

You may vote for more than one thing, and please feel free to explain your choice(s) with a post, and list the categories I failed to mention.

So embarrassing that my question on the poll itself begins with "What impress. . ." Please feel free to insert "would," ye might Micechat authorities.

How many non-religious dead people are thought about the way we Disney fans imagine about Walt, and his return?

At the risk of stepping into it John Lennon style, it was interesting that on an episode of Family Guy that poked fun at both Jesus and Walt, Seth MacFarlane said that he received far more complaints for joking about Walt. In fairness to God, the Jesus joke seemed just silly, while the Walt joke seemed to be truly awful and unfair to me.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-24-2013 at 12:34 PM.

• Minion

Re: What would Walt like most today? Disneyland, WDW, Tokyo Dland, Disney Cruise Lin

Tokyo Disney Sea and the Disney Renaissance in the 90's.

Re: What would Walt like most today? Disneyland, WDW, Tokyo Dland, Disney Cruise Lin

I'm sure he'd hate DCA, both in concept and in execution. The great animated movies of the '90s would definitely be his thing.

• Banned User

I think he would have loved the 90s Animation and Pixar films.

I think he would have been been generally pleased with Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom.

I think he would have loved EPCOT Center (as it was on opening day), but would have been severely disappointed with what it's become (Epcot, new Future World).

I think he would look at AK and DHS and wonder why, with all the resources Disney has at its disposal, they don't make the obvious and necessary improvements. It would mystify him. Similarly, he'd be dumbfounded why Disney makes no effort with its Tomorrowlands.

I think he would be all in favor of the Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar acquisitions and would have already moved to integrate them further into the parks (Meet & Greets with Indiana Jones, R2D2, etc - Star Wars land in DHS).

The three things I think that he would be insistent upon would be:

1. Reducing prices back to a level where it's affordable to the average family, and instead profiitting on volume.
    2. Returning maintenance standards back to what they once were (Broken Yeti, etc), and
    3. Acknowledging and fixing a mistake once the company has recognized it (Peoplemover, Astrojets moved to ground level, Under New Management, etc)

as far as parks go, i'd say tokyo disneysea.

i disagree with above, i don't think he'd hate DCA. of course he'd have his issues with it, but i think he'd be quite impressed with buena vista street, grizzly peak, & cars land, and rides like tower of terror, soarin over california & radiator springs racers. also, i think he'd love the grand californian hotel.

as far as animation goes, i think pixar would intrigue him more than the 90s renaissance, if purely for the new technology it utilizes.

• Under that tree again!

Probably not currently but 10 years ago DCL, of course now every other ship in the industry has copied the DCL business plan, family friendly.

Surely the movies, and Pixar.

TDS as it is big and impressive.

WDW would likely be a disappointment as that is not what Walt wanted. He may like the use of animals in DAK.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

I think Walt would have loved the Main Street Electrical Parade.

My understanding is that he didn't object to the rides at the beachfront amusement parks of his day; he disliked the atmosphere and how there was nothing BUT the rides at those places and everything else was basically sleaze. DCA's Paradise Pier is a cleaned-up version of the beachfront amusement parks but with little imagination. "Boys, we can do better."
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Minion

Since he was always pushing his animators further I think 3D animation (like Pixar) would have been fascinating to him. He was always trying to achieve greater reality in movement and graphic design with the animated films and some consider AAs to be his "next step" beyond filmed animation.

•   

I think he would love all the disney parks around the world n the technology that disney have made n the parks.

• former CM

As I write this, the Disneyland Resort has 15 votes,
    Tokyo Disneyland has 17 votes,
    and Walt Disney World has 3 votes.

I wonder how different the results would have been had I posted this thread into the WDW section of Micechat. Since Tokyo is ahead of Anaheim, the Disneyland Resort's 500% lead over WDW can't all be attributed to distance, or Tokyo would be behind Anaheim too.

As long as the Magic Kingdom keeps pulling in 17 million visits a year, and as long as Staggs/Iger run things with Steve Jobs' wife staying a passive stockholder, I don't expect anything to dramatically improve at WDW. I wish Universal's Steve Burke were coming back to Disney as CEO, but Iger is also (like Eisner before him) Chariman of Disney's Board and probably likes having CEO Iger earning at least 30 million a year.

Glad to see the love for the Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Lion King, and Aladdin era of animation!

• Iron-Clad Allie

I believe Walt would have been quite enthralled over his friendship with Japanese patrons of Disneyland turning their joy into an actual theme park resort in the beautiful Land of the Rising Sun.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

I wonder how different the results would have been had I posted this thread into the WDW section of Micechat. Since Tokyo is ahead of Anaheim, the Disneyland Resort's 500% lead over WDW can't all be attributed to distance, or Tokyo would be behind Anaheim too.
    I suspect their would be prejudice for WDW. Like I said WDW may be disappointing, it's successful but not remotely like Walt's vision.

DLR is questionable. It's expanded and modernized. Is it operated better or worse? Is DCA an improvement or should DL have swallowed the parking lot? Should the resort have bought the surrounding land to control it?
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    t's successful but not remotely like Walt's vision.
    Walt's idea of a functioning city of the future in Florida was dropped after his death so I can't imagine he'd be too happy about that.

I can't see he'd be very happy with much of what has happened to his company in the past 50 years.

Like others have said IMO I think he'd be interested in the advances in animation and the advances made by both Disney in the 90s and then Pixar. I also think he'd like some of the big animatronic heavy rides like Pirates, Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion.

Other than that I don't think he'd be too happy. Walt Disney World is certainly not what he wanted with no Progress City and an overall loss of master planning from the Eisner era onwards. Likewise no Mineral King ski resort. The other castle parks would likely disappoint as they repeat what went on before and didn't do something new (western river or the original Fantasyland dark rides planned for Florida were ditched for copies of things at Disneyland).

DCA with its Ferris wheel and carny pier atmosphere is the opposite of everything Walt wanted Disneyland to be (remember he never wanted a Ferris wheel). Likewise other than the Water Parks and Disney sea the other gates are forgettable compared to Disneyland and probably need a Disneyland next door as their weenie.

I think he'd think it sad that his company has grown by acquisition and not by being innovative but mostly I think he'd not like the fact that its become just another faceless entity run by accountants and money men

I personally think he would have loved the Animation Renaissanceand the whole concept of Pixar. He would love the technology advances and be fascinated with how fast AA move nowadays.

However, I think he would be disappointed in how the prices have skyrocketed, not his original plans of EPCOT being followed through, and
    maintenance in general. Also, I can imagine he'd be upset with the state the Carousel of Progress is in with not only with maintenance, but it being in desperate need of an update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast