Any Opening Day at Disneyland attendees here??

I had asked this in the random question thread but took the advice of another poster to start it's own thread. While watching Disneyland, USA - a motion picture made for theatre back when Disneyland was first opened. What an amazing movie to watch, I highly recommend it. Anyways, I started to wonder how many posters here on Micechat might have been there on opening day or even during that first year when it was Disneyland version 1.0. It looks so different with the biggest differences being Frontierland, in my opinion. Please share your memories here with us. Thank you.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Any Opening Day at Disneyland attendees here??

I was not but if Lost Boy is reading this he can tell you some good stories. He was there the day after the grand opening (July 18 iirc).

My parents were married in 1951 and my oldest brother was born in 1953. They were living in Los Angeles at the time. I asked her if she was excited and if they went right when it opened. To my disappointment she replied that she really didn't pay attention to it - that she was foo busy raising my infant brother and maintaining a new marriage at that time. I think for her it was a rather mundane occasion considering her circumstances. Because DL turned out to be such an icon that we have a tendency to overblow things that to most people living at the time was actually just an ordinary occurrence.

So I too would be interested to know what it was like at that time. I'm sure there are others out there who weren't in the same situation as my mom who was actually excited about it and experienced it.

• Blew By You

Don't know if this counts, but mom and dad confirm that they took me to Disneyland in January 1956, when I was about a month old. They said they took me on the Mission to the Moon where I fell asleep.

• Minion

I love that Disneyland, USA film! So neat to see the area as it looked before and during the construction of Disneyland. My father was born and raised in that area in the 30s and 40s when Anaheim was so much more provincial. He has fond memories of growing up there. That was back when all the towns were so much smaller and the high schools in the county were in the same league. A lot of the kids at Anaheim, Huntington Beach, Newport Harbor, Fullerton and Santa Ana Highs knew each other. A different time for sure.

Then came Disneyland.

My grandparents were pretty involved in local civic organizations and were invited to the opening of the park...as a number of civic leaders were. I just remember my grandmother talking about some of the celebrities in attendance, and she said it was especially neat seeing Walt wandering around, looking like a kid in a candy store. This was his dream, and it was becoming a reality. Despite what the naysayers said. She said he was all smiles and was a really nice and genuine person.

• ...and the Flowers Croon

My mom went opening year or the year after as an 8- or 9-year-old (I can't remember which). She says that she and all the kids in her neighborhood (SF Bay Area) were HUGE Mickey Mouse Club fans, watched it every weekday without fail, and she was just beside herself every time Walt would come on the show and present plans for Disneyland.

My mom kept telling my grandpa that he HAD to come home from work early enough to see this fabulous Disneyland place. Finally, he did, and to my Poppa's credit, he took one look at the TV and said, "Let's do it!"

Thus began my family's lifelong relationship with Walt's park. Poppa loved it as much as we do. On what turned out to be my grandfather's final trip to DL in 1995, we got the reserved Fantasmic seating (which back then was on the balcony of what is now the Dream Suite, outside the old DL Gallery), and he sat there like royalty, waving at the crowds below.