Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• I'm from Canada eh!

Re: Opera House: Miley VS. Annette

Like it or not, Hanna Montana had a fairly profound effect on many young girls and once grown up these girls with have the same feeling of nostalgia for her as the older generation has for Annette. Not saying that it is right, nor am I saying that Hanna Montana deserves the honor, just saying that in 20 years there will by a segment of the population who fondly remember the character.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Which, of course, is the sole reason Miley is up there in the first place. (No one actually believes she's a musical talent of the caliber of Michael Jackson and Elvis... do they?)
    I certainly don't, but I am sure some kids out there favor her more so than Elvis or Michael Jackson. But I would ask if the comparison can be made between Annette and Elvis?

The other thing of course is that, all that merchandise only exists because it is filling a demand in the marketplace. That just proves that Miley/Hannah is still relevant. Is that fifth freedom mural still up at the Opera House?

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Folks, we've removed the posts about actual political figures, and the completely off-topic, but mildly amusing actual and make-believe judges.

We remind you that MiceChat does not allow political or religious discussion on our main boards. Such posts are only allowed in the Gold Debate Lounge. Off-topic posts here and there are going to mostly be allowed, but we were reaching half a page of "humorous" banter. That's clearly a bit too much of a detour in the discussion.
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 08-29-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Is Miley still affiliated with the Disney Co in any way anymore?

Thought she was cut loose after Hannah Montana ended.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Still lost in Neverland

Last night the Disney Channel ran the Hannah Montana Movie. So they can't be all that upset about her.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Is Miley still affiliated with the Disney Co in any way anymore?

Thought she was cut loose after Hannah Montana ended.
    Back a couple pages ago I took a look - she left Hollywood Records for RCA recently, and I do not believe she's working on anything else Disney-related. Could be wrong, I don't track her, but that's what I could find off Wiki/IMDB.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Hakuna Matata!

Quote Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
    i wholeheartedly agree that annette should be there, instead of that......thing.
    i agree!!

• Heavy Breather

Why not a picture of this fine musician??

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

So, is Annette the only person who had early fame with Disney. But did not 'self-destruct' when she was instructed to grow up?

• Shredder

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    If Fess Parker qualifies for a window, Anette more than deserves to have one.
    Well of course Fess deserves a window, there are almost hours of clips and old footage of him at the parks doing promotion for it, with him featured in parades and played a humongous part for the the opening day of Disneyland. If I'm not mistaken, they rolled him out on the horse again for the big relaunch of the park in '59. There are even clips of him chopping the logs and doing woodwork for the fort at the front of Frontierland months before the park actually opens (a promotional bit for sure but it is on film nonetheless). He was the face of the first real American cultural-phenomenon of the western frontier complete with coonskin caps which mainly why Frontierland occupied 1/3 of Disneyland on opening day. But when you really thing about it, outside of the Disneyland After Dark and Golden Horseshoe Wonderful World of Disney specials, what did Anette really DO for the parks? She did wonders for the Studios with many of their music pieces for their films and and was instrumental in launching the Sherman Brothers' career which is why I agree with the choice to have a sound stage named after her AND being honored with a Disney Legends award but a window, like I've said, is kind of pushing it.

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Vashsky666 View Post
    ...But when you really thing about it, outside of the Disneyland After Dark and Golden Horseshoe Wonderful World of Disney specials, what did Anette really DO for the parks?...
    You may have missed this response to the same question in an earlier thread:

Annette*(like Fess) was at Disneyland performing in full costume on opening day (-- sadly, the lawyers cut the Mouseketeer material - a big talent round-up musical number in front of the Mickey Mouse Club Theatre in Fantasyland - from the opening day special on the Walt Disney Treasures DVD set due to royalties issues with the MMC cast -- it can be found on laserdisc Disneyland Anthology). The Mickey Mouse Club premiered the same week that Disneyland opened -- and she was linked with the park ever after.

For years, any major event at Disneyland included Annette in the festivities -- she regularly performed at the Mickey Mouse Club Circus -- she is dancing under the Matterhorn for Disneyland 59 -- two popular Wonderful World of Color performances from Disneyland in the 60's, both issued as theatrical featurettes abroad (Disneyland After Dark, The Golden Horseshoe Revue) -- she performed at Disneyland Hotel -- she appeared from the park in a long lost live summer series Meet Me at Disneyland in the early 60's -- and in Kodak commercials filmed at Disneyland (a sponsor of WDWWoC). Even her early recordings were on the Disneyland Records label.

Attractions, too, were related to Annette. Not only Mickey Mouse Club Circus, but Mouseketeer 3-D Jamboree at Mickey Mouse Club Theatre in Fantasyland featured 3-D footage of Annette (on a swing no less!) hosting Walt's 3-D cartoons (Melody and Working for Peanuts). Sets and props from Annette's*big movie Babes in Toyland took up residence in Main Street's Opera House for several years prior to Lincoln's arrival, while the Toyland Soldiers have gone on become an iconic Holiday tradition at Disney Parks worldwide.

Before her battle with MS and well into the 90s, she was there for every special parade and celebration, generously sharing her warmth with the public (and Mickey, of course) -- Tomorrowland 67, Disneyland 25, Disneyland 30, New Fantasyland, simultaneous anniversaries, reunions and special promotional days at the park celebrating the Mickey Mouse Club -- the opening of every major attraction and land. (I believe that includes most of the major Florida park openings of those decades too).

At each of these she could be seen on the live TV news and talk shows tirelessly, enthusiastically, and authentically promoting the park -- and she would proudly say, "I've been here for every opening since day one!"

No doubt had illness not taken her away from the park, you would have seen her at every event in recent decades as well. I'll bet she longed to be there again and again...

Yes, lovely Annette was and is eternally coupled with the Disneyland legacy from day one and she deserves a way to be there always in memory, along with Walt, Fess, and Mickey. In a way, she will always be the ultimate "Disneyland Ambassador."

...That's what.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 08-31-2013 at 02:15 PM.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Again, just want to throw this out there - specifically to you merlinjones.

We've established that Annette has been honored with not only the Disney Legends award, but Soundstage 1 at the studio has been named after her as well. To be completely honest with you, her even getting a window seems like a little much to me. That's not saying she's not deserving of it by any means but the soundstage is so much more fitting. She did work for the studio. Sure, she did a lot in the parks - but that was because of the studio work she'd done.

I just don't get the push to shove her in the exit hall of GMwML, other than the fact it's a chance for us to talk about how much we disapprove of how Miley acts on TV. This thread is proof of that. I could understand a push to get her a window, that's a much higher honor but I still think that is overdoing it a bit.

If you can enlighten me on why it's so important that Annette replaces Miley Cyrus (or anyone for that matter) in that exit hall, I'm listening.

• Minion

Okay...

The wonderful soundstage and Legends court honors are relatively ''private'' tributes to Annette for her film work at the Studio, which is off-limits to the general public (D23 tours are not public), and therefore these places can't be visited by her admirers -- Disneyland, however, is a very public honor that can be viewed and enjoyed by all in historical perpetuity (particularly a window, which won't go away like this Opera House display likely, ultimately will) -- and she worked hard to promote the park from day one (see above posts). She is certainly Fess's equal there -- and he deservedly received a Disneyland window honor (-- she moved souvenir hats too let's not forget, one that still sells to this very day).

Maybe your negative argument would work better if the Disney Legends Plaza were to be duplicated in Anaheim (replace the esplanade anyone?) making all those Disney tributes public.

Also in terms of the Opera House specifically -- at least Annette has a direct connection with that facility, it having housed the "Babes in Toyland" sets display for years prior to Lincoln's arrival.

In the meantime, leaving Miley up suggests Mickey, Minnie and Disneyland's tacit approval of her behavior as that of a ''great American'' for all kids to see.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 08-31-2013 at 03:03 PM.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    The wonderful soundstage and Legends court honors are a relatively ''private'' tribute to Annette at the Studio, closed off to the general public -- Disneyland is a very public honor that can be viewed and enjoyed by all in historical perpetuity (particularly a window, which won't go away like this Opera House display likely, ultimately will).
    Who says the honor needs to be publicly displayed though? The soundstage at the studio being named after her is a big deal, and it makes sense. That's not to say a window wouldn't, but I feel like something doesn't need to be publicly put out there just for the sake of it.

In the meantime, leaving Miley up suggests Mickey, Minnie and Disneyland's tacit approval. *
    The photo of Miley/Hannah is old. It's not a photo of her from the VMA's. It doesn't really suggest that Disneyland approves of anything. That would be similar to saying that Disneyland approves of some of the not-so-great things that Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley have done in their lives just because their photo is up on that wall as well. It's a fallacy.

Also in terms of the Opera House specifically -- at least Annette has a direct connection with that facility, it having housed the "Babes in Toyland" sets display for years prior to Lincoln's arrival.
    But who is going to know that and make that correlation? It's not going to be the everyday guest that walks that through that hallway.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast