Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Heavy Breather

Re: Which Attractions Are Safe from Removal/Replacement and Which Are Not?

Most of Fantasyland is safe, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, and Matterhorn are safe from full removal. Though they may receive updates from time to time.

Many of the Tomorrowland attractions except Space are up in the air(though I would hate to see Star Tours go).

• Banned User

Personally i don't think anything in disneyland should be "safe". Anything and everything should be on the chopping block to make way for the new. Disneyland isn't a museum, although many think of it that way, especially by the more seasoned fans.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, I will say that I personally notice more and more just how old and hokey many of the animatronics are even in ride that I love like Pirates. Compared to the amazing animatronics at RSR or the Orlando version of Mummy, most of the animatronics at DL look old and dated. Eventually it will get to the point where younger guests just can't suspend their disbelief and enjoy themselves, and older guests just enjoy it for it's nostalgia. I don't know if that's going to be 20 years or 50 years from now, but I'd much rather see Disney be proactive on this and start upgrading all of the technology in the park to 21st century quality rather then reactive and be scrambling to update a whole park the way they had to do with DCA.

And just how long are we talking about here? For our lifetimes? Tastes change, technology changes, and the park has to evolve or die just like anything else. What happens when virtual reality becomes indistinguishable from real reality and then people can virtually visit Disneyland with no lines ever? Then Disney can bring back every ride they've ever had in the virtual world and design as many new ones as they want with no regard to how much it would cost to actually build them. What happens to the real Disneyland then?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I dread the day when I'm posting on MC about the Disneyland of "My Day" and how only bits and pieces of it remain.
    Too late for this young man

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    As long as they can somehow work Depp into a ride, it can be considered safe from removal.
    Quoted for truth.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Nothing should be too sacred to make way for something better.

• Minion

I think only the Railroad and Matterhorn are sure to stay--the railroad because if anything else, its a practical mode of transportation, and the Matterhorn because of its historical aspect and the fact that dismantling its huge infrastructure would be an extremely large feat that would probably end up outweighing the effects of a new attraction. The monorail is also probably pretty solid unless old age catches up to it and for some reason stops working.

Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion are also probably pretty solid, just because they now have historical value and are huge investments...what I can see, however, is Disney possibly leaving the infrastructure of the two attractions yet dynamically changing the ride stories, scenery, effects, etc. to the point where they nearly do become new attractions.

The Fantasyland dark rides are tricky...to someone who had no prior knowledge of Disney history, these would seem like the first attractions to go in place of something else. However, they haven't already been replaced, they are classics, and not much could fit in the spaces they currently occupy. That being said, sooner or later the generations will come and go to the point where nobody has much nostalgia for the oldies anymore, and these rides will seem a lot more expendable. Disneyland is still relatively new.

I know a lot of people said Space, Thunder, and Splash...I'm not so sure. Like it or not, these rides were built as fads. Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain came in a time when the roller coaster wars were beginning, and everyone needed a coaster in their park to be considered relevant. Splash Mountain came at the peak of the log flume rides, and the whole story and concept was built around the fact that Disney felt they needed a log flume to keep up with the trend. That fad is already fading, though Splash Mountain still gets reasonable waits and it seems immune to this trend at the moment. Still, something bigger and better will come along and Disneyland will just have to have it, and then, just like Bear Country, Mine Train, and the Flying Saucers, these rides could get the boot.

I think it goes without saying that the more recent dark rides like Pooh, Roger Rabbit, and Buzz Lightyear are extremely expendable as they haven't quite reached 'timeless' status yet and likely won't just because they already somewhat fail the test of time. The subs and Autopia have already been rumored to get the axe somewhat soon so I wouldn't count on those to stay either. And Innoventions...

Nostalgic shows, like Mr Lincoln and the Tiki Room, I don't believe are safe. As generations keep coming, they keep asking for more motion and movement...soon the ADD generation will be our generation, and imagine what their kids will be like. If anything, in the wayyyy distant future I could see Mr Lincoln becoming Great Moments with Ronald Reagan or something like that.

Indy is tough...Indy is my all-time favorite attraction anywhere, but I feel like its already in decline. It's very unreliable, except in the fact that it's sure to have downtime pretty much every day. Rides that are cutting edge like that don't typically last (Flying Saucers, Rocket Rods, etc) because 1. they simply can't handle operation anymore since they're so advanced and 2. because what once made them so innovative goes away with time. Spiderman and Transformers have already diminished Indy's value, in a way, in that they involve motion vehicles on a track. The same goes for Star Tours; even run-of-the-mill amusement parks now have some incarnation of a simulator (though admittedly far less impressive versions of them); Star Tours, in fact, is already outdated compared to similar rides such as Soarin or The Simpsons. I love Indy and Star Tours to death, but Indy's reliability is scary, as is the prospect of Indy/Star Tours losing some of their wow factor.

Surprisingly, I think the carousel, tea cups, and Dumbo/Astro Orbiter (though less Astro Orbiter than the other three) are pretty safe. For one, they are rides that appeal to everyone...people who are scared of heights, scared of speeds, scared of the dark, un-attracted to certain themes/movie properties. They can be enjoyed by everyone. Furthermore, they take up next to no space--what would realistically replace them besides essentially the same sort of ride? It wouldn't make sense.

Everything else is probably ripe for replacement in the future. Disneyland is constantly evolving, as are the people that visit. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but someday, I can see nearly everything being replaced, or at least extensively renovated.

• Minion

Nothing is safe when profit is the only goal.

I have my own list like anyone else, but reading this has made me wonder: do younger kids recognize that Roger Rabbit is from a movie? When I visited the parks as a kid, I wanted to go on many of the Fantasyland rides due to loving the movies, and I'm a big fan of Roger Rabbit, but my sister is 16 and has never seen it. (Sad, she's totally missing out.) I don't necessarily think all rides need to be based on movies or vice-versa, I'm just curious. (I would have loved an Aladdin dark ride, too.)

• Iron-Clad Allie

Attractions Not Safe From Removal/Replacement

Goofy's Flight School
    Captain EO and Magic Eye Theater
    Innoventions
    Leftover Skyway Loading/Unloading Terminals
    Hidden Remains of Adventure Thru Innerspace

Attractions Safe From Removal/Replacement

Remainder of the Balance of Attractions
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    This is what I was thinking. The way the tide has turned at Disneyland, I don't think anything is truly safe. The further we get from Walt's influence, the more open to change the powers that be will become.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    This is what I was thinking. The way the tide has turned at Disneyland, I don't think anything is truly safe. The further we get from Walt's influence, the more open to change the powers that be will become.
    Exactly. There is literally no Disneyland attraction or land that is safe from a management hierarchy that neither understands nor respects the entertainment values that made Disneyland world-famous in the first place. A management that esteems paint-by-numbers clones of popular movies over originality and artistry, and that sees Disneyland as a marketing platform for franchise brands.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

As sad as it makes me, I can't say anything is safe in the very long term. I was just sitting in the River Belle Terrace with a friend who is a 20 year veteran of DL Guest Services who now works in television. We were talking about Epcot Center, and I was complaining about how they have allowed the Imagination Pavilion to sort of rot. My point was that as far as the message Walt Disney always carried, I would think the Imagination Pavilion would be the park's centerpiece, because Walt was always about not limiting your imagination and everything being possible. My friend told me that while he agrees with me, the public no longer sees Walt that way, and for the most part the people making the big decisions see Walt as just a name, and not as a living, breathing person who's vision brought all this to life.

Here is how this relates to this discussion- Bearing that in mind, I see that noting is truly safe, aside from the ticket windows through which the money comes in. I do not mind change, but with DL I'd like to see change made when it makes sense, and not just for the sake of change. I want to remember sitting on a bench in front of the castle with my grandmother as a child, or riding Small World with her, and I'd like my grandkids to be able to have those same memories of doing those things with me. However, I see a future where Small World is removed to make way for a ride based on whatever franchise is hot at the box office. And that makes me sad.

•   
    • Minion

Nothing is constant except change...in and outside of Disneyland.

Having said that, I think some of the "vintage" attractions such as Snow White stand a much better chance of surviving in Disneyland than they do in WDW (I know they already took their Snow White down in Orlando). There seems to be a slightly greater respect for history in Anaheim, and money and time are spent to keep refurbishing the older dark rides, which seems to suggest that Disney has an interest in keeping them around. I could see Disneyland preserving Fantasyland as the "historic core" of the park even if everything else is overhauled.

I also think that for the past 10 years or so, Disneyland has been operating more along the lines of changing attractions and trying to enhance them instead of ripping them out, tearing down the entire show building and starting from scratch: Superstar Limo/Monsters Inc; Orange/Silly Symphony Swings; Swiss Family/Tarzan Treehouse; etc.

Does that mean anything at all is safe? No, but I can see Disney trying to make a 2.0 version of an attraction before scrapping it.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Exactly, it all comes do to Return On Investment. Nostalgia only wins when it is the more profitable to keep the said attraction. That's why Disney fires up the bulldozers and makes sure they are working whenever a new movie comes out and we get rumors of new lands and attractions. If a new movie becomes the next big thing then down comes the past attraction to make way for new revenue. So to answer the OPs question. Nothing is completely safe there are just attractions that are safer based on the current trends.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I think only the Railroad and Matterhorn are sure to stay--the railroad because if anything else, its a practical mode of transportation,
    Oh, the "railroad" may stay, but the trains being pulled by authentic steam locomotives is another matter entirely...and their removal has actually been considered...

A swift move to get them burning biodiesel staved off a push in that direction.

Of course, improperly-operated or maintained steam locomoties can be quite dangerous. One mishap--even a small one--could see their demise at DL.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast