Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Which Attractions Are Safe from Removal/Replacement and Which Are Not?

Recently I managed to get my hands on a digital copy of The Extinct Attractions Club Presents: The Enchanted Tiki Room, which is basically a fan made documentary on the history of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room (If you haven't seen it yourself, try to track it down and watch it, it's a really nice documentary.) Anyways, in the documentary, they mention how the Tiki Room was about to hit the chopping block due to unpopularity with people of the late 70's or 80's I believe due to the Polynesian trends of the 60's starting to fade away from history, although I can't recall the exact timeframe. Before the Tiki Room was about to be gone for good, a resurgence in the old ideas and ways of the 50's and 60's occurred in the late 80's to 90's, saving a classic attraction. The Tiki Room stands amongst us today, still entertaining crowds and was even able to reach its 50th birthday recently, as many of us know.

I then watched another one of their documentaries on The Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland (Which also covered Big Thunder Mountain). The Mine Train is heralded as a great classic as it provides a very relaxing ride with a vast array of visuals ranging from a plethora of animatronic animals, a giant saguaro cactus, balancin' rock canyon, and a beautiful climax of the Rainbow Caverns. However, as time rolled along, guests started to complain that they weren't getting enough out of their tickets from an aging mine train, so the ride was replaced in the late 70's with the thrill packed Big Thunder Mountain Railroad that continues to entertain guests today (Well, I mean that in a past tense sort of way seeing that the ride is still under refurbishment at the moment...)

So we have two very famous and very classic Disney attractions on our hands; Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room and the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland. Both hand crafted by the maestro himself, Walt Disney, and still fondly remembered today by many. Yet one is still around for guests of new generations to enjoy while the other one remains a quaint memory of the past, even if its remnants are scattered around the park as reminders to those who remember it. This event shows that even classic rides are still not free of getting the chopping block; the Tiki Room itself was very close to never being seen again!

With the very limited space of the Disneyland Resort, attractions will have to go some time or another in the future to make way for new innovations (Not to be confused with the attraction with the similar name), and as shown above, even some Disney classics that we all know and love are not totally safe from demolition either. A more modern example would have to be the rumor of what's going to happen to the Submarine Lagoon, Autopia, and Innoventions. True, they are just mere husks of their former glory, but they are still there (Finding Nemo still operates the original subs but modified, Innoventions is still the same building that housed The Carousel of Progress and America Sings, and Autopia still retains the original vibe of driving cars down a pre-determined railed path.)

Either way, attractions are going to have to give way to new attractions in the future, it's unavoidable really. Which begs the question...which attractions are sheltered from the chopping block and drawing table, and which attractions are here to stay for generations to come. Now what's my personal take on the subject since I'm the one that is starting this topic? Well...I do think a lot of people will automatically say something like "Pirates of the Caribbean", "Haunted Mansion", "Space Mountain", "Jungle Cruise", etc. And for the most part, I do agree. I don't ever see these attractions leaving us, although we can't forget about the other contenders as well. The dark ride attractions in Fantasyland, especially the original ones in place, I don't think will be leaving as well. And one I know will be in place for the longest of times will be the Disneyland Railroad, which is more of transportation than an attraction, but I am still including it.

Those were a few examples to get this thread rolling. So now I would like to hear, chat, and discuss with you the various attractions that reside in Disneyland currently, and the probability of them being replaced with something else in the future, whether it be near or distant. I dunno, it seemed like a fun idea in my mind.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Minion

Re: Which Attractions Are Safe from Removal/Replacement and Which Are Not?

Pirates, Space, Big Thunder, Mansion, Splash, Matterhorn, Small World, Indy, Jungle, FL dark rides, and the train seem to be the safest imo.

•   
    • Minion

These can never leave imo.

The Haunted Mansion
    Pirates of the Carribean
    Indy
    Disneyland railroad
    Space Mountain
    It's a small world
    Peter Pan
    Snow White
    Mr Toad
    Alice
    Mad Tea Party
    King Arthur's carousel
    Big Thunder Mountain RR
    Mark twain/Columbia
    Splash Mountain
    Tiki room
    Jungle Cruise
    Dumbo
    Casey Jr
    Monorail
    Roger Rabbit

I left off the Matterhorn from here. I am not sure if it will always be there. I used to love it the new sleds ruined it for me. I could see someone re-imagining it by tearing it down and re-doing it in the future to make it more modern. I would not like to see this happen but I could see it happen

I left out pretty much most of TL. Except for Space Mountain and the monorail I could see the rest go including Star Tours( maybe it gets moved to the third park and re-imagined) unless of course star wars and in DL happens then it will stay.

• Disneyland History Lover

I think due to the nature of its history, Disneyland's classic and world-famous attractions are probably quite safe from disappearing; especially when compared to other Disney parks. Of course, anything could happen, but think of the uproar if Disney announced that Tiki Room or Haunted Mansion were being replaced for good. It's probably not going to happen.

The situation with Adventure Thru Inner Space and Mine Train, among others, is that they didn't let them last more than about twenty years. The longer a great attraction remains, the more likely it will have a bigger and more loyal fanbase since there are more people to have fond memories of it.

Oh, and since it's pretty much tied with Haunted Mansion for my favorite attraction, I'm very happy that we still have Tiki Room and hope it's still around for a long time to come.

I really hope the Matterhorn isn't taken down at any point in its history. Not because of a personal love/hate for anything about the ride, but more of a historical aspect. It was the first coaster to use tubular steel track, and it's amazing to think many roller coaster buffs can still ride the same ride that started pretty much a roller coaster revolution.

• MaliBOOMer

I think Radiator Springs Racers is pretty safe for the time being.

Otherwise I do see the Matterhorn being with us in one form or another for a long time.
    Indiana Jones will probably get a major refurb eventually that could change it up, but I do think it will be around for a long time. Haunted Mansion and pirates. Also all the "mountains" the RR and Monorail.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Selfie Expert

I dread the day when I'm posting on MC about the Disneyland of "My Day" and how only bits and pieces of it remain.

I'd agree with most of the attractions already mentioned, and keep my fingers crossed!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I dread the day when I'm posting on MC about the Disneyland of "My Day" and how only bits and pieces of it remain.

I'd agree with most of the attractions already mentioned, and keep my fingers crossed!
    I dread that day too actually. Disneyland has only been, what...60 years in operation, and how many attractions have we already seen come and go? But, I still can't shake off that feeling that tomorrow may bring something even better than what was there before!

Half of me wants to grab a time machine and travel to the future to see what rides remain in the coming years, but the other half of me wants to keep everything a surprise until the time in life is right for things to reveal themselves.

• -

As long as they can somehow work Depp into a ride, it can be considered safe from removal.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Selfie Expert

I just try to document all I can with photos, they serve as souvenirs and reminders, to show my kids. I hope most of my favorite are around for them to enjoy, but I embrace the future as they'll have their own generation of Disney parks. I will definitely miss "my" Disneyland, but am excited to see what the future brings.

(At least, I'll do my best to not get crotchedy about it... but no promises! )

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Disneyland 19 year APH

We have seen in Tokyo the idea thrown around about completely removing their Rivers sections in favor of RSR and so would I think that our rivers in the distant future would be removed for a much bigger attraction. Also we could see Tarzan removed for something else, hopefully not a gift shop (lol who knows what I am referring to.)

Also Gadgets, Chip & Dale, Goofy's, and Donald's in Toontown are almost nonexistent as it is and we could see something soon.

What safe:
    Probably most of Fantasyland (the castle courtyard) Also NOS but I could see most of the rest of the park changing in the next 20 years.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Many attractions are safe from wholesale removal but there's still the little (or big) alterations that are constantly documented here. How much does a ride have to change to *functionally* become different enough that it disappears from your radar? Tiki Room's show is edited slightly, Pirates got Depp, HM had its attic changed (and WDW's HM got that new queue and HHGs), Space Mountain had a soundtrack added, Indy gets a new voice, Small World gets Disney characters -- but the original ride experiences are still "there* for the most part.

On the other hand, for many the "Treehouse" belonged to the Robinsons and when Tarzan took possession it disappeared, and the Matterhorn's new vehicles have proved to be controversial, to say the least. Fantasyland is considered "safe," but the original, freaky, "Snow White and Her Adventures" is long gone and there's talk of alterations for all the FL rides for the 60th anniversary.

• Minion

The Fantasyland dark rides haven't all stuck around in Orlando.

• The doctor is in

In my opinion no ride is 100% safe. However, I don't think these will go anywhere:

Haunted Mansion
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Disneyland Railroad
    It's a Small World
    Splash Mountain
    Matterhorn Bobsleds
    Space Mountain
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    Snow White's Scary Adventures
    Pinocchio's Daring Journey
    Alice in Wonderland
    Indiana Jones
    Star Tours
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Now, that doesn't mean none of these won't ever get an experience changing refurbishment. Some already have like Star Tours (the 3D new adventures), Matterhorn Bobsleds (the terrible new sleds), Pirates of the Caribbean (the movie refurb in 2006), and quite possibly Thunder Mountain which we have yet to see.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Personally I dont see any ride that is safe except for the disneyland railroad. In general, times change and with that come the change of general preference. While the imagineers have developed rides that seem like timeless favorites (pirates, HM, jungle cruise, etc.). The more I see what the new generation enjoys, the more I think that nothing at disneyland is safe.
    if ye be brave or fool enough to face a pirate's curse, proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast