Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Mara's old voice returns!!

I'm playing back the old voice and the above video side by side, and I don't hear the slightest difference beyond the omissions of the "foolish mortals" and "infidels" dialogue. It doesn't sound sped up or pitched up to my ears at all.

It does sound different to me. I wonder if it's an altered original or a brand new voice over by the same voice artist.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    The initial moment of opening the eyes is not really dramatic or eye catching (no pun intended) enough to fill that space.
    Ha!

• The doctor is in

Marvelous news.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Okay, I've got the original voice and the voice from the above video ripped and loaded in Audacity right now. The two sound identical outside of obvious minor quality issues with the video version that are just the nature of the recording. Sibilance, inflection, etc. are identical. It's the same performance. Specifically, of the three original variants, it sounds like either the one that came after "Infidels!" or after "Foolish mortals!" (I'm not sure those were even a separate performance.) It does not sound like the variant after saying "No!", which sounds a bit softer. I can also confirm that the speed is identical. For example, "You looked into my eyes" lasts very close to 2.8 seconds.

I'm normally used to doing this sort of thing to compare concert recordings and verify dates and locations, but it works here, too.

If you play this video and the original recording back to back they do not sound like the same person unfortunately. The original had a much deeper, booming voice.
    Of course they don't sound exactly the same. There's a tremendous difference in sound quality when listening to a track that was recorded in a sound studio and played back on your computer speakers/headphones versus listening to a cell phone recording of that sound track along with a bunch of other loud noises at 240p. Everything about the "original" voice, and this one is the same; the timing, the annunciation, even the pronunciation of the word "path" - and you can recognize all of those even in the 240p quality video.

So its either the original tracks (with a few possible extended pauses here and there), or it is an extremely good, spot on impersonation of the original. Either way, its 889273598275 times better than the voice we had last weekend.

On another note, I'm really loving how a lot more things seem to be working properly on Indy lately. I don't remember the last time Sallah's ending lines matched up with what room you went into at the beginning, and its nice to see the little things like that working again. After all, it is all the subtle little variations that are part of what made Indy so great to begin with.
    Last edited by Wow; 08-28-2013 at 05:24 PM.

I can't imagine that you know any of these things for a fact and you shouldn't state them as such. This is all conjecture.
    Hmmm... Is it? (See all posts above)
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

It also sounded like the chamber announcer's voice was returned as well, which I like.

My Dad has talked about wanting to see the 'World of Color' water show, and if we go to the Disneyland Resort this Christmas, I'm sure we'll stop into Indy (it's one of his favorite rides!). Be nice to see the newer effects, and hear the booming voice of Mara.

Personally, I never really placed a 'gender' with Mara. The booming voice seemed to suit Mara, seeing as 'it' was a 'giant entity' that towered over us.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    Okay, I've got the original voice and the voice from the above video ripped and loaded in Audacity right now. The two sound identical outside of obvious minor quality issues with the video version that are just the nature of the recording. Sibilance, inflection, etc. are identical. It's the same performance. Specifically, of the three original variants, it sounds like either the one that came after "Infidels!" or after "Foolish mortals!" (I'm not sure those were even a separate performance.) It does not sound like the variant after saying "No!", which sounds a bit softer. I can also confirm that the speed is identical. For example, "You looked into my eyes" lasts very close to 2.8 seconds.

I'm normally used to doing this sort of thing to compare concert recordings and verify dates and locations, but it works here, too.
    Awesome thanks for the analysis. After many rides, I can say it is indeed the original voice.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• Disneyland 19 year APH

This is what we call a "Win"
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

This is the best news I've heard all week. It does sound like James Earl Jones but like they had him come back to re-record it. The higher pitch is probably what over ten years does since the first recording session.

Thank goodness for Internet petitions!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Now if we could only get Jack out of the Pirates ride.....

To be fair we were not asking for much just changing the voice back, if you want o hear about real change look up what happened to the new Xbox one system....the whole system was like remade because of the internet
    Yeah, I never got to see what it looked like without Jack in real life
    they always change his head like every month

I was actually starting to grow on the new voice, but now I can go either way. Nice to hear that it backs.

• Minion

With how creepy the projections look, IJA should definatly be featured for Halloweentime (although I think it should have been a long time ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Mara'sVoice View Post
    It does sound like James Earl Jones but like they had him come back to re-record it. The higher pitch is probably what over ten years does since the first recording session.
    See my post above. It's the original recording, and it's not sped up or pitched up. Differences you're hearing in the YouTube video above are artifacts of the particular microphone used and surrounding noises. A frequency analysis of the above YouTube video shows a greater emphasis on higher frequencies and a drop-off below 200 Hz, so the lower registers are deemphasized somewhat compared to how it would sound in person.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast