Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

The original scene showed pirates with weapons chasing women - the phrase "rape and pillage" comes to mind. I'm pretty sure the issue people had with it was they didn't want a Disney ride to be trivializing rape.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    I'm pretty sure the issue people had with it was they didn't want a Disney ride to be trivializing rape.
    From 1967 to 1996, with all the people supposedly complaining about the Pirates ride, one would think that citations of the complaints would abound.

They don't.

Ask people who worked at Disneyland or Burbank from 1967 to 1996 how many sacks of mail the Company got about pirates chasing women in POTC.

They didn't.

This wasn't a case of the Company reacting to customer complaints, it was a case of the corporate culture of the New Company acting out on that of the old, at a time when it was a badge of membership in the management club to do so.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Wiggins is right. The mid 90s was the beginning of the "Expel Walt/WED" era. It was worse at MK where we lost The Walt Disney Story, ALL MS stores, Tikis, Diamond Horseshoe, original Snow White and Toad, 20K, Dreamflight, Alien Encounter (OK it didn't close till '04).

I digress at any rate. Marc Davis hated the chase scene (along w/ HMs attic) cause he felt they were the weakest show scenes of said attractions.

I guess somebody will always be offended by something. I remember as a kid laughing at the men chasing the women then the punchline being the large woman chasing the man. It was a great gag.
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeekery View Post
    I guess somebody will always be offended by something. I remember as a kid laughing at the men chasing the women then the punchline being the large woman chasing the man. It was a great gag.
    100% agreed. Now, there's no gag at all.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Times have changed. Back in the 1950's/60's we see comedy skits with a boss chasing his secretary around the office. Now, that same skit would scream "sexual harassment".

This video was "cute" back in the day. Now many people look at it and feel creeped out..

There may not have been complaints before the 1990's, because people that type of stuff was everywhere.

It's not a bad thing. Some things that were normal in the 50's and 60's are now clearly seen as racist or sexist.
    Jeff made me famous!
    From the Mouth of the Mouse.

• I'm from Canada eh!

It seams to me that the Pirates chasing women were changed because the implication of what the Pirate would do once he caught her. Welcome to the year 2013 people, a family theme park should probably not depict attempted rape.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Welcome to the year 2013 people, a family theme park should probably not depict attempted rape.
    Neither as a child, nor as an adult, did that thought ever once cross my mind.

I agree. They are pirates. It was always amusing to me. I was sad when I went back and they were not chasing the women anymore. It was a funny bit to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Same here. I grew up in the 90s and never thought of it that way nor would I today as a 30 year old. People are just over sensitized and the groups that see this depicting rape are the ones that make everyone else depict this as rape.

I'm sure in 5 years the fire in the buildings will be converted to rainbows and the pirates will be replaced by unicorns.
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by disneygeekery View Post
    i'm sure in 5 years the fire in the buildings will be converted to rainbows and the pirates will be replaced by unicorns.
    lol!!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The turntable chase gag on it's own maybe could have stayed and won't pick a side on the 'ruining an original' by removing such, but what 'tipped' it I think was the former 'pooped pirate' figure and his dialogue, which clearly was joking at sexual connotations as he held the lacey kind of scarf or wrap he had plundered from the woman hiding from him in the barrels: 'It's sore I be to hoist me colors on the likes of that shy little wench, she be a lively lassie she were...' and etc. And taking that as potential talk of sexual conquest or rape (in a very broad, delivered amiably way, not with any malice - which almost makes it worse if you see it as being about rape) is not just imagining things that weren't there. It was a different era and that was almost certainly the intent of the dialogue to hint at. People could rightly read it that way more easily than solely if it was the sight gag by itself - so I think it had more to do with that being combined with the chase turntables, since they changed both. And I can't fault them for altering that dialogue out of fear/anticipation of people being offended.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    The turntable chase gag on it's own maybe could have stayed and won't pick a side on the 'ruining an original' by removing such, but what 'tipped' it I think was the former 'pooped pirate' figure and his dialogue, which clearly was joking at sexual connotations as he held the lacey kind of scarf or wrap he had plundered from the woman hiding from him in the barrels: 'It's sore I be to hoist me colors on the likes of that shy little wench, she be a lively lassie she were...' and etc. And taking that as potential talk of sexual conquest or rape (in a very broad, delivered amiably way, not with any malice - which almost makes it worse if you see it as being about rape) is not just imagining things that weren't there. It was a different era and that was almost certainly the intent of the dialogue to hint at.
    Exactly, I would puke if they actually showed you know what. The fact that they hint at it is harmless imo.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    You perhaps thought that he just wanted to sit down with the young lady and have a tea party?

Same here. I grew up in the 90s and never thought of it that way nor would I today as a 30 year old. People are just over sensitized and the groups that see this depicting rape are the ones that make everyone else depict this as rape.
    I'm not just seeing this as rape. It says it in the song
    "We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot."

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    You perhaps thought that he just wanted to sit down with the young lady and have a tea party?
    He might have. They are Disney pirates, after all.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast