Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Dont make me unfriend you

Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Neither as a child, nor as an adult, did that thought ever once cross my mind.
    Then why were the pirates chasing the women? And why was it funny when the big lady was chasing the skinny guy?
    Jeff made me famous!
    From the Mouth of the Mouse.

• Closed Account

It's called "irony."

I chased girls as a kid. Really didn't think about raping them, though.

When I was 5, there was a little boy who chased the girls across the playground. I'm pretty sure he had no intentions of raping anyone, it's just what he did.

• Evil is Sexy

I honestly never thought about the "what happens when they catch them" part, because they were never going to catch them in the first place. They just go around.. and around.. and around.. and around.. and.. now I'm dizzy.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• I'm from Canada eh!

ARRR... never mind.

I've knew of the inappropriateness, but guess what? They're pirates. It's what pirates had done and while their actions are not appropriate and not right, it was accurate of what they done in the past. That's why I never took offense to what I seen.

• Minion

Tokyo Disneyland still has the men chasing the women. Look at 7:08

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It's too bad anyone that would think Disney showing pirates from centuries ago doing what they normally do, were endorsing rape. I didn't think Walt wanted people to burn cities and drown mayors. I didn't assume the company was supporting burning down people's houses and stealing their merchandise.

Perhaps this is just a snippet of how America has been for years....violence is ok, but sex is forbidden.

If historical accuracy makes a winking reference to rape okay, then how about throwing some jokes about George Washington's and Thomas Jefferson's slave ownership into the Hall of Presidents?

Of course no one believes that Walt & Co. intended anything offensive. And just because you personally don't pick up on a subtle inference doesn't mean no one else will, or that it is invalid. Comparing the thought of a ruthless pirate chasing a woman to a 5-year-old chasing girls on the playground makes no sense.

The bottom line is that the change was made, and I for one think the attraction is elaborate and amazing enough to withstand a few changes.

And FYI, aashee, rape IS violence. Not really sex.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    If historical accuracy makes a winking reference to rape okay, then how about throwing some jokes about George Washington's and Thomas Jefferson's slave ownership into the Hall of Presidents?
    Except that the purpose of the Hall of Presidents is not to expose individual US Presidents' flaws, but to rather elicit the struggles that were eventually overcome like the Civil War, and to provide a sense a hope for the future as long as future presidents stay true to the ideals of the Constitution. It is the American Journey rather than pointing fingers at past presidents.

Excerpt from Walt Disney World website.
    "During the presentation, revel in America’s enduring origins, the formation of our Constitution and the hard-fought struggles along the way—such as the American Revolution and the Civil War. Listen to the stirring words of John F. Kennedy echo throughout the theater and watch Abraham Lincoln—in attendance on stage—deliver his Gettysburg address.

Then, witness a very special display as the curtain rises to reveal each and every United States President, together for the very first time—followed by stirring speeches about the American Dream delivered by Presidents George Washington and Barack Obama."

With Pirates of the Caribbean, the purpose is to showcase "the wildest crew that ever sacked the Spanish Main" once you exit the ghostly caverns, and by wild, it means violent, ruthless, sexually stimulated, and not P.C.

Indiana Jones is based on a movie series where the hero is a womanizer and a murderer.

Thor and Iron Man are violent modern PG-13 films that are being exhibited at Disneyland.

Pirates of the Caribbean movie that was inspired by the ride and is now cross-promoted in the ride is rated PG-13 and features pirates chasing after women, sexual innuendo and violence galore.

Pirates of the Caribbean attraction still features pirates auctioning off women, getting drunk, shooting at each other etc.

Haunted Mansion is filled with black humor like a dead character that hanged himself and a bride that murders her husbands.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride features reckless driving causing destruction and possibly death, culminating in the death of the riders and going to HELL.

Considering these examples, why can't there be pirates chasing after women on a humorously crude turntable?

Not to be too dark/serious, but...

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    And FYI, aashee, rape IS violence. Not really sex.
    [ social commentary ] Tell that to the defense attorneys who sexualize rape victims during trials; for instance, she was wearing this, she let him buy her drinks, she had X amount of boyfriends in the recent past, she likes sex, she wanted it, etc. Similarly, I suspect that some members of society may view rape as a purely sexual encounter. [\ social commentary ]

So I think aashee still made a valid point.

Anyway, I miss the old gag and wish they would change it back, rape implications and all.

•   
    • Minion

Oy, I have such an issue with the term PC...most of the time what people call "PC" just equals "treating everyone with the dignity and respect they should have had all along." Anyway...

IMHO, I think the change is fine. The ride has plenty of comic relief along with the darker aspects or what pirates do - the drunk guy with the pigs, the one with the hats, etc. just come across as silly - and the "chase scene" with the food just becomes part of that. Plus, that's probably historically accurate too - you probably *would* have seen pirates raiding kitchens, and you also might have seen women trying to fend them off with brooms or any weapons they had on hand.

There's already one reference to rape in the ride as it is (the auction scene...what does anyone think they're going to do with the brides they purchase) so they have left the whole "plunder and pillage" theme in place, if it really matters that much. I don't think it's a big deal to take out the second one and I don't think it detracts from the ride. You still have characters running around the turntable. And for the most part, I think guests who are new to the ride probably spend that scene focusing on Jack on the barrel, the pig guy or the flames, anyway.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

As others point out, other rides and films Disney has done, have had those little references to these themes. Are we supposed to get rid of every little, tiny reference to violence and sex? No one has said their actions are okay, just that it's accurate.

The point of Hall of Presidents is pointing out what the Presidents have done for the country, which includes showing what good they done, not bad. The point of the Pirates is to showcase the Pirate's outrageous behavior, which includes showing what bad they done, not good.

If we wanted to get rid of every violent and sexual thing in Pirates, there would be no Pirates of the Caribbean. As Francis Xavier "X" Atencio puts it, it would be "Boy Scouts of the Caribbean".

I personally can go with, or without the changes, however if we get rid of everything that is sexually suggestive, violent, or dark. There would be no Pirates.
    Last edited by DisCollector; 08-30-2013 at 04:11 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast