Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 83
  1. #46

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    211

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    To me, the depiction of the women chasing the men always counter-balanced the whole sordid tale. As pirates being big, tough and ruthless - seemed to always get themselves into a predicament. Back fired on ya didn't it mate??!!! I am probably being insensitive - I just don't see the harm. It's meant as a joke. It reminds me of that quote - Don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out!! Don't over think it, just enjoy the ride. If I had to pick a scene that bothered me a little (and I say that very lightly) it would be the auction. I always think to myself - they would never get that into a newer ride in this day and age. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

  2. #47

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    Precisely, Tamiele.

  3. #48

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    128

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    My point with the Hall of Presidents remark was to be sarcastic - obviously everyone would be horrified if such a thing were included in that attraction, despite the fact that it would be "historically accurate." I don't think the point of POTC is to be a brutally honest depiction of real pirates - it's a fun attraction for families to enjoy together, and if the chase scenes were too overt a reference to violence against women for some people, then I don't see the harm in altering them a bit. So my point is that historical accuracy is not a valid blanket defense for anything to be included in a ride.

    No one is suggesting that ALL threatening, dark material should be erased from EVERY attraction. That lack of a nuanced view is used in SO many arguments these days, and it makes the conversation much less interesting! The ride would not work if it showed pirates just helping little old ladies across the street and playing double dutch...but it also needs to achieve its goal of being family friendly and sensitive to its audience, so if some people felt removing the chase scenes helped it achieve that goal better, then it is understandable.

    On a personal note, I dislike the auction scene a lot -- it bothers me every time I ride POTC. The men chasing the women never bothered me too much personally, but I can see the point of the change. It was an easy one to make, whereas changing the auction scene would require an entirely new set piece for that part of the ride. Disney is not infallible, you guys. There are plenty of things in the old rides and movies that are appallingly ignorant and distasteful...but there is also a lot that is so much better than anything done today.
    Last edited by PBandJ; 08-30-2013 at 06:05 AM.

  4. #49

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    if some people felt removing the chase scenes helped it achieve that goal better, then it is understandable.
    Yep. I think some people would prefer the Mona Lisa with a moustache. Completely understandable.

  5. #50

    • I'm from Canada eh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    My point with the Hall of Presidents remark was to be sarcastic - obviously everyone would be horrified if such a thing were included in that attraction, despite the fact that it would be "historically accurate." I don't think the point of POTC is to be a brutally honest depiction of real pirates - it's a fun attraction for families to enjoy together, and if the chase scenes were too overt a reference to violence against women for some people, then I don't see the harm in altering them a bit. So my point is that historical accuracy is not a valid blanket defense for anything to be included in a ride.

    No one is suggesting that ALL threatening, dark material should be erased from EVERY attraction. That lack of a nuanced view is used in SO many arguments these days, and it makes the conversation much less interesting! The ride would not work if it showed pirates just helping little old ladies across the street and playing double dutch...but it also needs to achieve its goal of being family friendly and sensitive to its audience, so if some people felt removing the chase scenes helped it achieve that goal better, then it is understandable.
    VERY well said. You nailed the point exactly

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Yep. I think some people would prefer the Mona Lisa with a moustache. Completely understandable.
    Oh Steve, How I missed you.

  6. #51

    • Disneyland Dreamer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Historic Downtown Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,729

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    Don't like Walt's vision, don't ride the ride. Enough said. Altering things because people get offended.... well... the attendance numbers show that the offended people must not be voting with their wallets.

  7. #52

    • I'm from Canada eh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Don't like Walt's vision, don't ride the ride. Enough said. Altering things because people get offended.... well... the attendance numbers show that the offended people must not be voting with their wallets.


    You May have missed the point. They already altered the ride from Walt's vision.

  8. #53

    • Disneyland Dreamer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Historic Downtown Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,729

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    You May have missed the point. They already altered the ride from Walt's vision.
    I remember the pirates chasing the women from before the change. Its sad that they caved to whatever pressures internal or external, and I hope they don't change anything else (or add any more movie references), offensive or not. The Auction scene doesn't bother me a bit, nor did the chasing. Its a pirates ride, not small world.

  9. #54

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,749

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    I remember the pirates chasing the women from before the change. Its sad that they caved to whatever pressures internal or external, and I hope they don't change anything else (or add any more movie references), offensive or not. The Auction scene doesn't bother me a bit, nor did the chasing. Its a pirates ride, not small world.
    Exactly, it's the "wildest crew that ever sacked the Spanish Main," not the most "politically correct crew to sack the Spanish Main."

  10. #55

    • I'm from Canada eh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    It's not about politically Correctness though. It's about adjusting the lines of the perception of what these "Jolly group of Nar-do-wells" are going to be capable of. Disneyland Pirates are not "real pirates" and are treated as lovable caricatures of the real thing. Because of that we do not see these Pirates as they really were, but more of a harmless bunch, who's only truly bad intentions are to raid the town’s cellar, plunder some gold and steal some...hats. It’s because these pirates are shown as the “good guys” in the ride that the scenes of chasing lustfully after women had to be adjusted; good guys do not boast about chasing women and offering to share once they catch them…

  11. #56

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    It's not about politically Correctness though. It's about adjusting the lines of the perception of what these "Jolly group of Nar-do-wells" are going to be capable of. Disneyland Pirates are not "real pirates" and are treated as lovable caricatures of the real thing.
    Your argument might be valid if they actually showed rapes in progress. It does not.

    You do not, in fact, know that any rapes are about to occur--you have created that story conclusion in your mind. Now, your perceived narrative has altered the gag of the attraction--it's a joke with no punchline.

  12. #57

    • Hooterville, USA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Haney House
    Posts
    10,147

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    It's just a ride. When I was a little kid, it was just a ride.

    Some people think too much and over-analyze for their own good.


    This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

  13. #58

    • I'm from Canada eh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Your argument might be valid if they actually showed rapes in progress. It does not.

    You do not, in fact, know that any rapes are about to occur--you have created that story conclusion in your mind. Now, your perceived narrative has altered the gag of the attraction--it's a joke with no punchline.
    The origional script from the Pooped Pirate:


    "Ah, shiver me soul. It's dead wore out I be. A mite too fast these light-footed wenches be for the likes of an old schwegbellied pirate such as I. Now where be that fascinating little old treasure, eh? Heave-to mateys! Say, have you set your eyes on the bewitched maiden in your travels? Oh she be a lively lassie she were. Oh I tell you true. It's alright to hoist me colours on the likes of that she little wench! Favor, keep a weathered eye open, mateys. I be willing to share I be!" ―Pooped Pirate[src]


    Please read this and tell me it is not rapey in the slightest. You don't even need a pencil to connect the dots as to what was on his mind. And to reiterate, these are the "protagonists" in the storyline of the ride. IF he was the villain it would be a different story entirely.

  14. #59

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,749

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    The origional script from the Pooped Pirate:


    "Ah, shiver me soul. It's dead wore out I be. A mite too fast these light-footed wenches be for the likes of an old schwegbellied pirate such as I. Now where be that fascinating little old treasure, eh? Heave-to mateys! Say, have you set your eyes on the bewitched maiden in your travels? Oh she be a lively lassie she were. Oh I tell you true. It's alright to hoist me colours on the likes of that she little wench! Favor, keep a weathered eye open, mateys. I be willing to share I be!" ―Pooped Pirate[src]


    Please read this and tell me it is not rapey in the slightest. You don't even need a pencil to connect the dots as to what was on his mind. And to reiterate, these are the "protagonists" in the storyline of the ride. IF he was the villain it would be a different story entirely.
    There are no protagonists. Pirates is an experience ride not intended to have a linear storyline like Little Mermaid and Monsters Inc.

  15. #60

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Please read this and tell me it is not rapey in the slightest.
    I guess a rape is iminent the next time a buddy of mine sees a hot girl at a bar and tells me, "Man, she's hot--I'd definitely do her."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Why Did They Change The Small World Clock Color From Orange To White?
    By Gurugriff100 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 06:50 PM
  3. Why did they change the Care Bears?
    By BDBopper in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 03:09 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2007, 08:19 AM
  5. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 09:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •