Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• I'm from Canada eh!

Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I guess a rape is iminent the next time a buddy of mine sees a hot girl at a bar and tells me, "Man, she's hot--I'd definitely do her."
    I don't know about you, but if I heard that while seeing him clutching a article of her clothing as well as seeing her hide in a barrel to get away from him I'd be a little worried. That being said I'm sure her mouth said no, but her eyes screamed yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    It's not about politically Correctness though. It's about adjusting the lines of the perception of what these "Jolly group of Nar-do-wells" are going to be capable of. Disneyland Pirates are not "real pirates" and are treated as lovable caricatures of the real thing. Because of that we do not see these Pirates as they really were, but more of a harmless bunch, who's only truly bad intentions are to raid the town’s cellar, plunder some gold and steal some...hats. It’s because these pirates are shown as the “good guys” in the ride that the scenes of chasing lustfully after women had to be adjusted; good guys do not boast about chasing women and offering to share once they catch them…
    Kids play pirate regardless of POTC. Pirates STEAL, MURDER, RAPE, PILLAGE, PLUNDER, etc. Even Capt. Jack Sparrow isn't a good guy, he's just slightly less bad.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    And FYI, aashee, rape IS violence. Not really sex.
    No kidding. And I'm glad Disney had the common sense to not show rape in a family attraction.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Yep. I think some people would prefer the Mona Lisa with a moustache. Completely understandable.
    Marcel Duchamp would agree.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Ducksketeer

It was so ridiculous that the ride was changed in any way at all.... they are "pirates" for heaven's sake. But these pirates were never depicted other than over the top and 'cartoonish' in their behavior anyway, so I fail to see who was ever upset by this?. Fighting, pillaging and singing and drinking while the town burned was only meant to be in fun, and not some horrible real life commentary on violence and other crimes against women.

• "I don't like the color"

I never had a problem with the original scenes. For all we know the women who get caught might have clobbered the pirate with a rolling pin or frying pan.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    The origional script from the Pooped Pirate:

"Ah, shiver me soul. It's dead wore out I be. A mite too fast these light-footed wenches be for the likes of an old schwegbellied pirate such as I. Now where be that fascinating little old treasure, eh? Heave-to mateys! Say, have you set your eyes on the bewitched maiden in your travels? Oh she be a lively lassie she were. Oh I tell you true. It's alright to hoist me colours on the likes of that she little wench! Favor, keep a weathered eye open, mateys. I be willing to share I be!" ―Pooped Pirate[src]

It might have been the suggestion or the desire of this pirate but the storyline fully enforces the idea that these guys don't succeed in anything they take on. They are too drunk and simple-minded to make it happen. That is how I interpret the general intent of the story. And dare I mention the movies - they seem to indicate that many of these women were quite interested in the pirates - and Captain Jack got his face smacked in a number of situations.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Well, they did manage to sake the whole city and burn it down...so there is that. Also the women that "liked" the Pirates lived in Tortuga and probably earned their income from the steady stream of Sailors. The women of port royal however would not have fared so well.

But It is clear that I am either looking far too much in to it, or I have been reading too many huffington post articles on Rape Culture, so I will just leave it at that.

• New Mommy

I'm curious:

Why is depicting death, in some instances by a violent action (a sword stuck in the skeleton), acceptable? But the chase scenes, which are much more loosely implied, are unacceptable?

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!

KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I'm curious:

Why is depicting death, in some instances by a violent action (a sword stuck in the skeleton), acceptable? But the chase scenes, which are much more loosely implied, are unacceptable?
    Perhaps because the dead in the attraction are the pirates themselves? It's sort of implying they came to a bad end through their own (nefarious) actions...

• New Mommy

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Perhaps because the dead in the attraction are the pirates themselves? It's sort of implying they came to a bad end through their own (nefarious) actions...
    Interesting perspective!

I don't really have a strong opinion either way, just like to see people's input on it.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Interesting perspective!

I don't really have a strong opinion either way, just like to see people's input on it.
    me too - a lot of the perspectives in this thread have been really interesting, even if I don't always agree with them.

I don't like depictions of rape or anything that makes sexual harassment seem okay or funny - but in this case I don't have a strong opinion either. IMHO what's done is done, and regardless of how anyone might feel about it, the ride is changed and will probably stay changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    I never had a problem with the original scenes. For all we know the women who get caught might have clobbered the pirate with a rolling pin or frying pan.
    You're forgetting. There are groups out there who try and justify their existence by finding things to be offended about and ruining it for the rest of us.

I live on a hill and I will never forget this hippy type lady who petitioned to get a speed bump put on the hill. It ended up right in front of my house and the lady moved 2 weeks after it was installed. On top of that, it seems more dangerous to those who are speeding...

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but growing up, the concept of the pirates raping the women never even occurred to me. The people this offended probably don't even care about Disneyland anyways. They just think they are doing the world a favor when nobody asked in the first place.
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    me too - a lot of the perspectives in this thread have been really interesting, even if I don't always agree with them.

I don't like depictions of rape or anything that makes sexual harassment seem okay or funny - but in this case I don't have a strong opinion either. IMHO what's done is done, and regardless of how anyone might feel about it, the ride is changed and will probably stay changed.
    The funny thing is, I brought it up because I was wondering if people were offended by the food too. Like did a coalition of overweight people petition to get rid of the food gag? Will the gold diggers be next?
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

• New Mommy

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeekery View Post
    The funny thing is, I brought it up because I was wondering if people were offended by the food too. Like did a coalition of overweight people petition to get rid of the food gag? Will the gold diggers be next?
    Coalition for Gold Digging Rights!

I guess the moral of the story is there will always be someone who's offended.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast