Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

•   
    • Minion

Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I guess the moral of the story is there will always be someone who's offended.
    True enough...but IMHO there are often valid reasons to be offended. If someone sees something denigrating their identity (whether that's race/religion/weight or something else) being angry and upset about it is justifiable. It might be a joke to someone else but the joke isn't funny when it's directed at you, and all.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I'm curious:

Why is depicting death, in some instances by a violent action (a sword stuck in the skeleton), acceptable? But the chase scenes, which are much more loosely implied, are unacceptable?
    Great point! But I think the answer lies in the idea that the skeletons with the swords in them probably were not part of a recognized group which had a prior claim of "victim status".

Again, I find it hard to imagine who was actually offended by the original pirate scenes. It sounds as if Disney management was attempting to do a preemptive "PC" adjustment to the ride anticipating that someone may at some point be offended. If that is the case, it is a sad commentary on how little consideration was given to the entire context of the "amusement" pirate ride.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by USS Seawolf View Post
    ...It sounds as if Disney management was attempting to do a preemptive "PC" adjustment to the ride anticipating that someone may at some point be offended.
    Which is exactly what happened.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeekery View Post
    You're forgetting. There are groups out there who try and justify their existence by finding things to be offended about and ruining it for the rest of us.

I live on a hill and I will never forget this hippy type lady who petitioned to get a speed bump put on the hill. It ended up right in front of my house and the lady moved 2 weeks after it was installed. On top of that, it seems more dangerous to those who are speeding...

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but growing up, the concept of the pirates raping the women never even occurred to me. The people this offended probably don't even care about Disneyland anyways. They just think they are doing the world a favor when nobody asked in the first place.
    Oh, I haven't forgotten. One of my pet peeves are these "watchdog" groups who tell me what is right or wrong for me
    without me making up my own mind or taking responsibility for my own actions.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Minion

I honestly don't really care either way. I don't think the change was really necessary, but what's there now doesn't really affect my experience in any way. Now, the inclusion if movie elements is a different story.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    One of my pet peeves are these "watchdog" groups who tell me what is right or wrong for me without me making up my own mind or taking responsibility for my own actions.
    Spot on!!

People have a choice in being offended in my opinion. If someone really wanted/needed to, they could fabricate some perceived offense from just about anything. For me an offense must be personally directed at me. And even then I still have a choice in the matter as to whether or not I choose to allow myself to be offended.

I suppose I could whip myself up into being offended over the show and possible stereotypes by Billy Hill and the Hillbillies because my grandfather was from Appalachia. Or someone else might find some ethnic offense in The Enchanted Tiki Room show. But that would just be silly---- same as being offended by pirates taking liberties with members of the opposite sex in a clearly funny and cartoonish manner.

• Capt without a ship...

Has anyone noticed that in the last scene, the chubby lady chasing the pirate has her rolling pin at about level with his butt - almost looking like she's gonna turn the tables on him - I distinctly remember her having the rolling pin much higher as if to clobber him with it.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeekery View Post
    You're forgetting. There are groups out there who try and justify their existence by finding things to be offended about and ruining it for the rest of us.
    Except that's not what happened with Pirates of the Caribbean. It was a case of Disney ruining it for the rest of us.

There were no "groups" -- watchdog, feminist or otherwise -- that were responsible for the changes to POTC.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456