Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

I have been an AP for a while so maybe I just stopped paying attention to detail on some of the things I expect to be there. I remember there was a feminist group that led to the change of the men chasing women on Pirates of the Caribbean so they put food in their hands. When I went last week I noticed they changed it to a small box of treasure or jewelry. Was this because of overweight people feeling offended or something? When did they make that change?
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

• Minion

Re: When did they change the men chasing women on PotC?

It was made during the 2006/7 refurb when Jack Sparrow was added to the attraction. The "Pooped Pirate" not talks about his treasure map and key, and the pirates chase the women holding different treasure chests, jewelry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    It was made during the 2006/7 refurb when Jack Sparrow was added to the attraction. The "Pooped Pirate" not talks about his treasure map and key, and the pirates chase the women holding different treasure chests, jewelry, etc.
    That long ago?! I got at least once a month and I always ride that attraction. If you asked me last week I would have still said the food.

Thanks for the info! I guess I'm too busy always trying to look for something new
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

that's funny that they changed that. I just noticed that this past weekend when I went with my son. I remembered that feminist group thing too. I find it more funny that they still have women for "sale" to be men's brides.

• Minion

Isn't having the pirates chase women with treasures/jewelry even more demeaning? Sort of implies that the women are for sale. Seems to me the original version of just pirates chasing women made the pirates look bad, not the women.

• Senior Minion

I never noticed that either, how funny. I'm a very pro-feminist man but I never really understood the issue that people had with the original scene, they're pirates for goodness sake. It's funny because honestly I think several of the lyrics in the song could easily be found offensive but nobody ever complains about that. I assume most people don't really pay close attention. But they flat out say that, "They...ravage and don't give a hoot."
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Closed Account

!

• Closed Account

They need to change the original intent of the chase scene back. It's been almost 20yrs!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    They need to change the original intent of the chase scene back. It's been almost 20yrs!
    I think the pirates in the chase scene were complaining about being tamed down to the guests that floated by, so Disney promised them perpetual free food in exchange for their silence.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

I still like the original pooped pirate and the girl in the barrel. A nice guy and 'willing to share, he be.'
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The way it is today has all the pirates being chased by the woman. It's as if the pirates are stealing their jewels. It's been this way since it opened with the Jack Sparrow changes in 2006. Before that, it was food that the pirates were holding as the woman chased them. That one came in 1997.
    Having all the pirates being chased by women really bugs me because that final one where the woman is chasing the pirate was really a funny gag back in the old days, since she was chasing HIM as opposed to the pirate chasing her!

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Actually, the last one before Old Bill has a woman chasing a pirate.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• Disneyland 20 year APH

It seams to me that not the whole guy on the barrel does not change but the people chasing in the background are always changing some times in some there are 3 than 2 and it keeps changing almost weekly it seams like.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Leininger View Post
    Having all the pirates being chased by women really bugs me because that final one where the woman is chasing the pirate was really a funny gag back in the old days, since she was chasing HIM as opposed to the pirate chasing her!
    Exactly! So lame they changed everything because one over-sensitive feminist group was offended by the original version. They're pirates! They weren't PC!! And as DrFeelBad points out, what about the famous scene where the women are being sold for brides? Somehow that one got past the feminist group, lol.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeekery View Post
    ...I remember there was a feminist group that led to the change of the men chasing women on Pirates of the Caribbean so they put food in their hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    So lame they changed everything because one over-sensitive feminist group was offended...
    As a point of historical fact, the changes to Pirates began during Eisner's management regime, at a time when it became hip, trendy and politically de rigueur for all levels of Disney management to impress their superiors by hunting down political incorrectness in the Company's products (Walt-era products especially). It was not done to appease any "feminist group."

As Disneyland spokesman Tom Brocato told the AP in 1996, "We're sensitive to issues that might be politically incorrect."

After the changes were announced with the headline "Disney replaces lust with gluttony," spokespersons for women's issues said they were pleased -- and immediately were blamed by fans for having caused the changes in the first place.

Disney's internally driven PC-hunt didn't stop with Pirates of the Caribbean. It went on to delete the cigarettes from Pecos Bill, kill any prospects of Song of the South seeing video release, put Disney TV Animation programs and Disney Consumer Products merchandise under a kiddie-safe microscope and, in concert with the hyper-PC Disney Legal, bubble-wrap Tom Sawyer Island, among many others.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast