Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Re: What happened to Jack Sparrow's meet and greets?

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    I suppose if they can't have the real thing.. an impersonator will do.

"No.. leave the costume on, love.."
    Oddly enough, I can totally picture that!
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Captain Jack Sparrow is only out at the Halloween Parties.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

Quote Originally Posted by MikkiandtheMouse View Post
    I've heard Jack, Tarzan and Esmaralda all had issues with frisky guests so that's why they aren't out in the parks anymore.
    Name:  tumblr_mcy4buHdnJ1qi548do1_500.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  112.4 KB

she's showing too much shoulder

• Former Churro Jockey

The rumors I heard went further then just inappropriate talk. I had heard that there were girls actually flashing Jack Sparrow and that was the thing that made Disney pull him. If I remember correctly, it was pretty abrupt, where he was in NOS one day and gone the next. But if he's out at the Halloween parties then maybe that's not true...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

I know a few women who throw themselves - with great force and little tact - at musicians at the park. While I don't hesitate a moment to think that there are people doing the same at Jack, I am a little more hopeful it's to keep the character from becoming overdone and stale.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Minion

Maybe at the Halloween parties they are able to place more minders with Jack so that he isn't bugged. As I recall at the 5k he had a few CMs around him.

A friend of mine who was a face character has told me that several of the characters who aren't often out have had issues with guests who harassed them. She mentioned that Ariel is almost always in princess form and doesn't greet guests as a mermaid anymore partially because guests actually tried yanking her shells down. So I would have no problems believing what she told me about Jack getting harassed or propositioned.

• Queen Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelBad View Post
    Name:  tumblr_mcy4buHdnJ1qi548do1_500.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  112.4 KB

she's showing too much shoulder
    I don't think it's because of that. I have seen other female characters where they show shoulders, Tink,some Ariel's some Aurora's Tiana,Rosetta. Just to name a few it was something else Maybe beening to sexy was the key but she was out this year for the first Long Lost Friends week and also they did have her out when they did Family Fun Weekend last year. Jack would be the same. I can see with Tarzan from what I saw with him last week at the Long Lost Friends week 2.

Well as a female visitor to Disneyland (of the cougar variety , I confess to having definitely more of an interest in Jack Sparrow and Tarzan when I had seen them in the past. My husband laughs (thank goodness) when recalling the one time Tarzan came strutting through Adventureland and I literally pivoted and walked and followed the guy until I couldn't see him anymore. I lost my senses, truly. It was too much man for the average girl to witness. And Jack, well, I couldn't help but stand and watch while he signed autographs - for many, many grown women!!!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I had heard that there were girls actually flashing Jack Sparrow
    Thank you for helping me decide on my Halloween costume.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to harassment. Just because he makes an appearance around one time of the year, doesn't necessarily mean that harassment isn't the issue. Jack is a pretty popular character I would imagine, so they wouldn't want to get rid of him completely.

Also, maybe during the Halloween party (I'm assuming that's what people mean), there's more of a younger and friendly crowd, so it isn't as risky perhaps?

• Minion

Jack still meets regularly in Paris and Tokyo

• The doctor is in

I heard they removed Jack Sparrow because of the constant guest abuse to the CMs. Apparently people were grabbing, groping, pushing, touching, etc..
    Either that or it was just a promotional thing for the re-opening of Pirates of the Caribbean.

I was lucky enough to see Jack Sparrow running around New Orleans Square once back in 2006, but that was the only time I ever saw him. After that trip he was gone.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Queen Elsa

Wonder if they will bring back Angelica will be back. I only got to see her once when they had her.

• Singing Drinker

I swear that there's something weird in some people's heads about ANYONE portraying a fictional character. I've been aggressively propositioned working at RenFaires. I had a woman shove her tongue into my mask when I worked KBF's Haunt years ago - and she was one of the less aggressive I had to deal with. My SO's been sexually assaulted repeatedly working as a Puritan at RenFaire as well as usually more accidental sexual assaults as a Haunt monster (favorite is apparently women "package checking" her and then looking in horror at their own hands as if they'd betrayed their owners).

I'm perpetually mystified by this kind of behavior, but thinking back to my friends who've done character work it's common. Remembering a friend who was Alice back in the mid-'80s who was constantly propositioned and if not careful groped and pinched - I really don't get that one, Alice is *a child* in the stories. Yes, the person you're assaulting is of legal age, but you're basically sexually propositioning a portrayal of a *child*.

*sigh*

People.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I swear that there's something weird in some people's heads about ANYONE portraying a fictional character. I've been aggressively propositioned working at RenFaires. I had a woman shove her tongue into my mask when I worked KBF's Haunt years ago - and she was one of the less aggressive I had to deal with. My SO's been sexually assaulted repeatedly working as a Puritan at RenFaire as well as usually more accidental sexual assaults as a Haunt monster (favorite is apparently women "package checking" her and then looking in horror at their own hands as if they'd betrayed their owners).

I'm perpetually mystified by this kind of behavior, but thinking back to my friends who've done character work it's common. Remembering a friend who was Alice back in the mid-'80s who was constantly propositioned and if not careful groped and pinched - I really don't get that one, Alice is *a child* in the stories. Yes, the person you're assaulting is of legal age, but you're basically sexually propositioning a portrayal of a *child*.

*sigh*

People.
    I've worked the haunted house circut as well as the Ren Faire circut on the East Coast when I was in my late teens, early 20's. Though, at the Stirling Faire, as a gypsy it was my job to harrass their male puritan.

As such, I have a lot more respect for all character actors. And, in reality, I really want to have an out of character conversation with a lot of them and swap stories.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast