Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Still lost in Neverland

Re: LTM Celebrate Oswald the Lucky Rabbit

Way back sometime around 1995 I was walking through Downtown Disney here in Anaheim and went into the Disney Store. Near the back was a big display of Plush and one whole end of that Display was devoted to "Mickey's Teddy Bear, Duffy". Each Plush came with a small book that told his entire back story with art and words. I picked one up and it was so soft and cuddly I bought one. He did not come with any costumes or extra. Just a special Teddy Bear and a little book. I still have it and never even thought about getting a newer one as they are not as well made as the original. He is not "New" to the Disneyland Resort just a more triumphant return. I have him placed sitting on one of my larger Mickey's lap.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    A "Michael" asked them point blank if Oswald will be making appearances, and Disney responds: "I’m sorry, Michael, but Oswald will not make an appearance during the celebration."

Really?!?!?!?!?!?! An OSWALD celebration, WITHOUT Oswald?!?!?!?!? The idea of doing this WITHOUT Oswald??????? They ACTUALLY THINK this is a GOOD IDEA?!?!?!?! Completely unbelievable!
    I...wow. I don't even know what to say, now that they've confirmed that Oswald won't be making an appearance. IMHO that also confirms that this is the stupidest LTM promotion yet.

The sad thing is that if they'd done this right, they COULD have made it into a wonderful "let's welcome Oswald's walkaround character!" event. Think of it...they could have had a ceremony where Mickey officially welcomed Oswald and walked him into the park. They could have had him hang out at his gas station. They could have done something special at the Main Street Cinema or the Opera House and showed some of the Oswald cartoons. If they'd done that I think it would have been just as popular - if not more so - than Long Lost Friends. They would have had fans lining up to meet Oswald.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Minion

They've had time to create an Oswald fuzzy... This would have been the perfect time to debut him. What a wasted opportunity.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Am I the only one who gets the impression that Oswald is liked more because he is "unknown" rather than any affinity for the shorts. I know there were the Epic Mickey games, but that seemed to try and build on this versus people knowing the character or trying to build a following.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Am I the only one who gets the impression that Oswald is liked more because he is "unknown" rather than any affinity for the shorts. I know there were the Epic Mickey games, but that seemed to try and build on this versus people knowing the character or trying to build a following.
    Nope, you're not the only one. I get that same impression. Same goes for the Hatbox Ghost.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

•   
    • Minion

Well, he's cute (a plus), the shorts are pretty widely available on YouTube so people can see them now, and he's got a cheekier personality than current Mickey (and there's a lot of appeal in the edgy characters). Plus, he was in Epic Mickey, as you said.

So while I think there might be interest in Oswald because he's been an unknown and off-limits entity for so long, I also think there's a genuine fondness for the character for some. I know that I was originally interested in Oswald because of the whole tragic tale of his loss (Walt Disney's loss of the rights to the character) and the pictures I'd seen in books, but once I saw the shorts I actually liked him.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Kelly, you tricked me! I saw the title to this thread and my heart leaped and I started planning an impromptu trip to CA to meet Oswald. Now I'm bummed.

We had the Oswald sundae back in April and it was yummy. I'm not seeing the LTM here.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Kelly, you tricked me! I saw the title to this thread and my heart leaped and I started planning an impromptu trip to CA to meet Oswald. Now I'm bummed.

We had the Oswald sundae back in April and it was yummy. I'm not seeing the LTM here.
    Sorry! I considered putting a thumbs down or something in the title to prepare people lol

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    Way back sometime around 1995 I was walking through Downtown Disney here in Anaheim and went into the Disney Store. Near the back was a big display of Plush and one whole end of that Display was devoted to "Mickey's Teddy Bear, Duffy". Each Plush came with a small book that told his entire back story with art and words. I picked one up and it was so soft and cuddly I bought one. He did not come with any costumes or extra. Just a special Teddy Bear and a little book. I still have it and never even thought about getting a newer one as they are not as well made as the original. He is not "New" to the Disneyland Resort just a more triumphant return. I have him placed sitting on one of my larger Mickey's lap.
    Downtown Disney in Anaheim didn't open until January 2001, just prior to the opening of DCA. However the DL hotel area did have a collection of smaller shops and stores, a bar, restaurant, beginning where the DTD Monorail Station is currently, and extending all the way back to where the remaining porition of the DL Hotel exists today.

I also remember when Mickey's Teddy Bear first appeared at the DL resort, and in a wide variety of pastel colors. They soon were found at the Discount Character Warehouse up on Orangethorpe, where I picked up two or three, myself. However I have no love for this psuedo disney meet and greet character. And don't they know, it's the DUCK in the Disney Family that wears the Sailor outfit!

Oswald, however, IS an Actual WALT DISNEY CHARACTER, and DEFINITELY deserves his own meet and greet character. The same honor should have NEVER gone to Duffy.

Place the blame where it belongs, The Limited Time Magic Team. They were the ones to create this false hype.

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Duffy kept the backstory when they brought him to the States. The thing is to Americans, Duffy is just a generic teddy bear and honestly that's how I've always seen him. The Japanese love cute things and Duffy stood out because he's a different kind of cute then the usual Japanese thing.
    There has already been some great discussion on how Duffy's backstory was stripped. Yes, the Japanese culture helped contribute to his popularity in Japan, but that doesn't take away from the fact that his debut here was botched. Here's a quote from that discussion, in which the two backstories are ccompared:

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki
    Duffy’s magical message-in-a-bottle is gone. His ability to travel through dreams vanishes. His mysterious power to come to life on his own seems implied more heavily to Minnie than in the original, rather than love’s unexplainable (and brilliantly unstated! – you either get it or you don’t!^^) power to transform. With the release of Shellie May and My Friend Duffy, Minnie’s role has felt stronger in Tokyo, too, and demand, though still booming, has fallen with overexposure and wider availability. Takara/Disney’s cannibalizing “Cuddly Bear” and “Minnie Couture” projects don’t help much, and effectively take away from the specialness of both Duffy and Shellie May. Disney UniBEARsity, despite all my hopes, is a sad, sick joke…but it will probably make a lot of money here. All of these work in Japan because of Japan’s affinity for “cute for cute’s sake,” but Duffy was never about Minnie’s “strange new power to make living dolls.” What made it work, initially, is that the Disney characters themselves were surprised and fascinated (like the public), but fans understood – what animated Duffy was love itself, deeply expressed from the heart. Duffy was also presented as a plucky and playful adventurer himself, who goes where he pleases on his own voyages. Now, Duffy is very clearly presented as Mickey’s tagalong, which besides being boring, leads very quickly to the thought “not mine.” The original author of the Tokyo story had a brilliant solution – make it clear that every Duffy, including yours, is Duffy and every Duffy is unique while at the same time, still Duffy. Instead, we are now just all supposed to want to carry around Mickey’s bear. That’s (part) of what didn’t work for the Disney Bear, and it’s not working here. Finally, instead of showing us ways Duffy creates connections with people through a charming story, they just switch to “marketing mode” and tell us what to do. Nobody likes that.
    Here's the rest of that thread:
    How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

If you take the time to read it, I'm sure it will bring to mind the similarly poor handling of Oswald's park debut/presence.

Just substitute Duffy with Oswald:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins
    Although I'm not a Duffy fan, I have to say I feel badly for those who are. Seeing a character that you love mishandled by a corporation that has no connection to its heart, hurts.
    Last edited by The First Star; 09-01-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I...wow. I don't even know what to say, now that they've confirmed that Oswald won't be making an appearance. IMHO that also confirms that this is the stupidest LTM promotion yet.

The sad thing is that if they'd done this right, they COULD have made it into a wonderful "let's welcome Oswald's walkaround character!" event. Think of it...they could have had a ceremony where Mickey officially welcomed Oswald and walked him into the park. They could have had him hang out at his gas station. They could have done something special at the Main Street Cinema or the Opera House and showed some of the Oswald cartoons. If they'd done that I think it would have been just as popular - if not more so - than Long Lost Friends. They would have had fans lining up to meet Oswald.
    Totally agree.

Hi, This is my first post! I'm a classic animation buff, and always knew of Oswald. I was delighted when Disney Treasures released the dvd set in 2009. When I saw the Oswalds, I was hooked. My appreciation stems from his being an early Disney character with a great personality, and I'm thrilled that Disney has him back.
    I will renew my annual pass this week; I feel lucky enough to be able to get one, and even though Oswald won't be there in person, I'll be curious to see what Disney has on September 5.
    The way I look at it, I might just die on the spot of happiness if I saw Oswald for a meet and greet at a ceremony where Mickey walks him in the park, etc. Those are great ideas!
    Looking forward to talking with everyone here!
    Amy

• Selfie Expert

Welcome to MiceChat, Amy!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that this Oswald celebration is better than what they've described so far!

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Place the blame where it belongs, The Limited Time Magic Team. They were the ones to create this false hype.
    Aw, I love Kelly and my chiding of her is completely good natured. If I ran into her in the park I'd insist on doing a silly food picture with her. I do agree about the LTM team though. I'd like to say to them: "You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

• Selfie Expert

Aw, I love Kelly and my chiding of her is completely good natured. If I ran into her in the park I'd insist on doing a silly food picture with her. I do agree about the LTM team though. I'd like to say to them: "You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"
    Hehe no worries, Tinkbelle! I knew you weren't actually mad at me!

And yes, a silly food picture would be required!

Inconceivable!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast