Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Selfie Expert

LTM Celebrate Oswald the Lucky Rabbit

Celebrate Oswald the Lucky Rabbit

September 2 to September 8, 2013
    Come along for a moment 86 years in the making—on September 5, 1927, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit debuted in a short film titled "Trolley Troubles." And to celebrate the anniversary, you're invited to attend a Limited Time Magic party for all things Oswald at the Disneyland Resort! Hop on over to Clarabelle's at Disneyland Park for a delicious Oswald Ice Cream Sundae in a souvenir Red Car Trolley cup. Also, be sure to stop by Oswald's or Elias & Co. on Buena Vista Street at Disney California Adventure Park where you can find Oswald-inspired merchandise that will have you smiling from ear to ear, including artwork, vintage signs, Oswald Ear hats and more!

Personally, I'm disappointed. I can't seem to time my trips with a decent LTM magic offering. I would've been really happy if they at least offered a meet and greet with Oswald!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Re: LTM Celebrate Oswald the Lucky Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I would've been really happy if they at least offered a meet and greet with Oswald!
    I totally agree! Now THAT would be limited time magic, rather than a banana split that vaguely evokes a rabbit.
    Disneyland AP & go as often as I can! DL Paris March 2002 WDW Dec. 2007 & Jan. 2013 Tokyo DL & Sea April 2009
    To Do: DCL Alaska 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland, you're next; Shanghai Disney, see you in 2016!
    GROUNDHOG DAY: WDW and DLR in the same day: 2/2/13
    My Stay in the Disneyland Dream Suite

•   
    • Minion

When I read the headline that was my immediate thought: "Meet and greet with OSWALD? When? Where???" Kind of a bummer that it's not the case. I love that they are commemorating Oswald more, though.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Former Churro Jockey

I thought it was going to be a meet & greet too. It would be interesting to see the kind of costume that Disney would come up with for a character who's even older than Mickey Mouse.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Add me to the "YAY! OSWALD AT TH... uh, ice cream stand in 'Red Car Trolley Themed Cups'?"

I appreciate that they are trying to find new and innovative ways to sell merch, but this could have had a merch substitution and more validly been sold as a celebration of the Red Cars. A meet-n-greet or a walkaround rubberhead would have been MUCH more appropriate for a character based event.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Thanks for the info! I know a few friends who love Oswald and would probably go to this.

Also, I do agree with everyone else that it's pretty lame there won't be some sort of meet and greet with Oswald. I don't find selling "special" merchandise to be "magical" at all!

• Still lost in Neverland

The Costumed Oswald, if they do it, would have to be Black & White as he never made a color cartoon. I would love them to do that. It's the last item for Oswald and it is almost a no brainer. I wonder why it's taking them so long to figure this out.

BTW there is an adorable Oswald Plush on line from the Disney Store. It is MUCH BETTER than the one on sale in DCA.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Minion

The ice cream location is confusing. It says "Disneyland Park" and while there is a Clarabelle's in Toontown, they serve frozen yogurt there not ice cream. It's the Clarabelle's on BVS that has the sundaes in the trolley cups. Unless that's the "limited time " aspect of it, that you can get trolley sundaes in Toontown??

At any rate, another pointless offering that is nothing but selling food and merchandise. In this case it's basically taking something that already exists on a daily basis and wrapping it up in a shiny Limited Time Magic gift box. Limited Time Magic=worst promotion ever.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

maybe they are gonna do a surprise meet and greet....

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Nothing magic again. A lame ice cream and selling products. LTM is one of the worse promotions. Magic is more than an ice cream and a cup. Why no meet and greet. Disney is plucking straws. Same old s**t , different day. We pay alotr of money to go through those gates. At least pretend you are trying.

Makes you think:

If Duffy can get a character in DCA, why can't Oswald?

I don't care for Oswald myself, but I felt bad for all of Oswald's fans when I read the promotion. Is that a frozen banana cut in half lengthwise and stuck in a sundae? How disappointing!

Quote Originally Posted by MWH1980 View Post
    Makes you think:

If Duffy can get a character in DCA, why can't Oswald?
    That's a good point. In fact, they actually share some similarities, despite the fact that Oswald was created by Walt, and Duffy is a modern creation. Both have a group of devoted fans who highly anticipated their triumphant return to Disney and/or the Disney Parks. However, Disney mishandled both by crucially under-executing their respective roll-outs.

Although Duffy was given a meet and greet character, he was stripped of the personality and backstory that the OLC had developed and which had helped make him so popular in Japan. Prople who weren't already fans of Duffy had a hard time understanding why they should like the character.

Upon his debut, Oswald was given a shop themed like a gas station, and maybe some shirts. I believe the plushes were rolled out a little later, and Oswald fans had to clamor for rabbit ears to be sold at DCA. As someone who isn't a fan of Oswald, and who doesn't play video games, I don't feel a connection to the character. I respect his history, but I don't know his personality, so like the non-Duffy fans, I don't know why I should like the character.

Maybe he'll eventually grow on me like Duffy did, but I think a meet and greet character would go a long way in remedying that disconnect I currently feel with Oswald. A greater investment in the character would make Oswald more popular and would help sales, thus making the character a greater success in Disney's eyes.
    Last edited by The First Star; 08-31-2013 at 12:13 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

A "Michael" asked them point blank if Oswald will be making appearances, and Disney responds: "I’m sorry, Michael, but Oswald will not make an appearance during the celebration."

Really?!?!?!?!?!?! An OSWALD celebration, WITHOUT Oswald?!?!?!?!? The idea of doing this WITHOUT Oswald??????? They ACTUALLY THINK this is a GOOD IDEA?!?!?!?! Completely unbelievable!

"you do plan to have dinosaurs on your, on your dinosaur tour"

Is Limited Time Magic really just as ignorant?

And Does "Limited Time Magic" Really Hate Disneyland guests, this much?"

And to insult matters further, this is just an attempt to to unload the excess of overpriced Trolley containers that didn't sell last year, when Buena Vista Street opened! Yeah, they created a Limited Time Magic event just for the sake of attempting to sell last years failed plastic ice cream containers. (sarcasm here) Brilliant idea!

• Selfie Expert

Haha a perfectly fitting clip, Aladdin.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    That's a good point. In fact, they actually share some similarities, despite the fact that Oswald was created by Walt, and Duffy is a modern creation. Both have a group of devoted fans who highly anticipated their triumphant return to Disney and/or the Disney Parks. However, Disney mishandled both by crucially under-executing their respective roll-outs.

Although Duffy was given a meet and greet character, he was stripped of the personality and backstory that the OLC had developed and which had helped make him so popular in Japan. Prople who weren't already fans of Duffy had a hard time understanding why they should like the character.
    Duffy kept the backstory when they brought him to the States. The thing is to Americans, Duffy is just a generic teddy bear and honestly that's how I've always seen him. The Japanese love cute things and Duffy stood out because he's a different kind of cute then the usual Japanese thing.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast