Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Still lost in Neverland

Re: Ride voices not the same as the movies-why?

I know that Eisner was trying very hard to get Harrison Ford to OK his face mold for the A/A figures and voice for Indy. They flew him one day by helicopter and Eisner took him on the ride. Something happened on that ride through that pissed Harrison Ford off and he left in a very bad humor and refused to allow his likeness or voice to be used.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I know that Eisner was trying very hard to get Harrison Ford to OK his face mold for the A/A figures and voice for Indy. They flew him one day by helicopter and Eisner took him on the ride. Something happened on that ride through that pissed Harrison Ford off and he left in a very bad humor and refused to allow his likeness or voice to be used.
    Not sure where I read this account, but as I remember it, Harrison Ford had agreed in principle to do the voice for the Indiana Jones ride and actually recorded the lines, but he said flat out that he didn't want his voice being used for the promotion for the opening of the ride at the Super Bowl a few months before the ride was supposed to open.

There was some snafu involving a lower-level engineer who didn't get the memo and ended up using Ford's voice recordings for the Super Bowl promotion. Not surprisingly, Ford found out that his voice had been used, and told Disney that there was no way that his voice could be used on the ride. Once that had happened, Disney had no choice but to find another actor to record the lines.

I had a chance to talk to one of the creative executives from Imagineering after an official Disney presentation, and I asked if this account were accurate. He said he couldn't comment, which I took as confirmation that it was pretty close to the truth (or maybe something more embarrassing for Disney had actually happened).

• The Pumpkin King

Harrison Ford is getting old. I just hope they can get his voice in the ride before he gets too old and sounds like an old man.

Maybe Harrison Ford refused to have anything to do with the ride because he was completely disgusted with Disney's Indiana Jones Super Bowl halftime show.

I also think it largely comes down to if the person will take the amount of money you throw at them.

though I can't help but feel Tom giving his brother Jim some of his work is a kind, familial gesture. Jim was also Tom's running double for parts of 'Forrest Gump.'

i also think it depends on whose asking the celebs. Like in Cars Land. I'm sure much of those negotiations was done with Lasseter at the helm, as I haven't heard a single out-of-place voice from any of the characters.

i know there was one special where Beaumont talked about them coming to her to redo her lines for the Alice ride. She claimed she didn't sound like her younger self, but they said they would fix it later.

Another reason you would use a different voice actor is that sometimes the original voice actor isnt available. This can really come in to play when you have to make last minute changes or updates. People who are not mega stars may be some more time to come in at the last minute and record.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I've never heard this rumor, but it seems way too extravagant to be true. SpacemanSpiff has the more popular (and probably correct) rumor below..

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    Not sure where I read this account, but as I remember it, Harrison Ford had agreed in principle to do the voice for the Indiana Jones ride and actually recorded the lines, but he said flat out that he didn't want his voice being used for the promotion for the opening of the ride at the Super Bowl a few months before the ride was supposed to open.

There was some snafu involving a lower-level engineer who didn't get the memo and ended up using Ford's voice recordings for the Super Bowl promotion. Not surprisingly, Ford found out that his voice had been used, and told Disney that there was no way that his voice could be used on the ride. Once that had happened, Disney had no choice but to find another actor to record the lines.

I had a chance to talk to one of the creative executives from Imagineering after an official Disney presentation, and I asked if this account were accurate. He said he couldn't comment, which I took as confirmation that it was pretty close to the truth (or maybe something more embarrassing for Disney had actually happened).
    Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    Harrison Ford is getting old. I just hope they can get his voice in the ride before he gets too old and sounds like an old man.
    Don't count on it.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    Kathryn Beaumont supplied the voices of Alice and Wendy on the dark rides. She also spoke Wendy's one line for Fantasmic. The original voice actor of Brer Bear also did the voice for Splash Mountain, except for the snoring, which was supplied by Rufus. Jodi Benson voiced Ariel for the Little Mermaid. Anthony Daniels supplied all of C3PO's lines, past and present, for Star Tours. Depp also voiced his Jack Sparrow AA in Pirates. Larry the Cable Guy did all of Mater's lines and songs for Carsland.

Sometimes, the actor has already passed away, and so they have to find a suitable match. In the case of Finding Nemo, the boy who voiced Nemo had aged. he could still do the voice, but his voice no longer reflected the innocence he had when he was younger. Nemo had to be recast with a boy who was still young and nave enough to have that innocence in his performance.
    They also were able to get Carrie Fisher (Leia), James Earl Jones (Vader) and Frank Oz (Yoda) for Star Tours. I'm pretty sure Chris Sarandon did Jack Skellington's part in Haunted Mansion Holiday, too, since he's voiced Jack on all the Disney video games. They've been able to get quite a few originals to come back.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    The most distracting fake character voice is, of course, Homer Simpson as the Genie. He really sounds nothing like Robin Williams, but he sounds exactly like Homer!
    That was done because Robin Williams & Disney had a fallout for awhile (don't know the exact reasons behind it), so they hired Dan Castellaneta to do the Genie's voice. He was also hired to do the Genie's voicework for "Aladdin and the King of Thieves" and even had a lot of the work done, but Disney & Robin Williams settled whatever issues they had and Castellaneta was let go and they re-did all of the Genie's voicework with Robin.

• A Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    Maybe Harrison Ford refused to have anything to do with the ride because he was completely disgusted with Disney's Indiana Jones Super Bowl halftime show.
    Is there a video online of this halftime show? And while we're at it, is there one from the ABC special featuring the opening of the ride?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwingdolt View Post
    Is there a video online of this halftime show? And while we're at it, is there one from the ABC special featuring the opening of the ride?
    Ask and ye shall receive..

And just for fun..

• Minion

Lawyers!

That's usually the reason projects hit a snag with Imagineering projects. The same happened with JK Rowling and Harry Potter.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive..

That was one SORRY half time show.

Knott's Scary Farm Hanging's are a lot more entertaining. Ant THEY don't use pre-recorded audio.

(They could have at least given "Indy" a jacket that fits.)

• Banned User

Disney may well find themselves back negotiating with Harrison Ford again. WDI developed new "face cloning" technology, and they're going to use it for Avatarland, Zoe Saldana and Sam Worthington will have to cut some sort of a deal, which I would think includes doing the lines while the computer records. Course, it won't be a straight up face clone to pre-fab human silicone face, but rather it will go to an Avatar blue person face.

Face cloning would work good for Star Wars land, and they're probably going to have to do something more than Star Tours' screens to different any new ride from that. They might well ask Ford if they can clone him for some Han Solo lines . . . might as well add Indy to the deal if he's interested.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    That was done because Robin Williams & Disney had a fallout for awhile (don't know the exact reasons behind it), so they hired Dan Castellaneta to do the Genie's voice. He was also hired to do the Genie's voicework for "Aladdin and the King of Thieves" and even had a lot of the work done, but Disney & Robin Williams settled whatever issues they had and Castellaneta was let go and they re-did all of the Genie's voicework with Robin.
    Found this on askville:

"Robin Williams provided the voice for the Genie, at union scale rate (the lowest legal pay rate a studio can give an actor), on the provisos that his voice was not used for merchandising (i.e. toys and such) and that the Genie character not take up more than 25% of the space of a poster, ad, billboard, or trailer. When these wishes were not granted, he withdrew his support for Disney and the film. As a result, his name was not included in "The Art of Aladdin" book (it makes constant references to "the voice of the Genie"), and he was not available for the direct-to-video sequel The Return of Jafar (1994) (V) or the "Aladdin" (1994) TV show (Dan Castellaneta filled in as the voice of the Genie for these productions). In an attempt to get back on good terms with Robin Williams, Walt Disney Co. CEO 'Michael Eisner' apologized to Robin Williams with a peace offering of an original Pablo Picasso painting. Still angered and betrayed by Disney, Robin Williams would not accept the gift. It was not until Jeffrey Katzenberg was fired and a new producer hired did Robin Williams return to Disney. Through this new producer, a public apology was given (by the producer). Promises were made to right wrongs, and Robin Williams was so touched that he came back as the Genie for the second direct-to-video sequel, Aladdin and the King of Thieves (1995) (V). Disney was so thrilled that they threw out the previously completed recording sessions with Dan Castellaneta."

So the short version would seem to be that they pimped his voice without his permission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast