Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Question Names - do you use them?

Another fairly contentious thread on the forum got me to thinking.

Everything - EVERYTHING - at Disneyland has a "Disney Official Name".

Whether or not we as a general public use it is another matter entirely.

Sometimes we invent new names entirely for our personal groups (there's a little grass knoll at Magic Mountain I refer to as "Break-Up Hill" from three consecutive really horrid trips in high school). Sometimes we use abbreviations despite Disney's best efforts otherwise (DCA). Personally a lot of times I just forget or don't care what a given shop or merch location is and just say "pasta fusilli in Tomorrowland" (Redd Rockets) or "Candy shop in Critter Country" (whatever the name is of the shop at the Pooh exit... ew, I hate typing that).

So what are your names or abbreviations? Anything out of the norm? Good stories? Do you hate people who do that and call everything by it's Official Name?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Re: Names - do you use them?

Mickey's fun wheel is known to my family as "Mickey's fun wheel of DEATH!"

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    "Candy shop in Critter Country" (whatever the name is of the shop at the Pooh exit... ew, I hate typing that).
    Even worse, it's called Pooh's Corner.

My friends and I pretty much call everything by it's normal or shortened name (ie: Indiana Jones might just be Indy, etc). However, one time my friend called the King Arthur Carousel "Horse Rounds" which then led into "Horse Tornado" - both of which have kind of stuck. We never ride it, but it always gets a laugh when we bring it up.

• Minion

Pirates, Space, Thunder Mountain, Little Mermaid, Matterhorn, Tiki Room, Star Tours, Indiana Jones - I usually leave out one to three words in the official titles when referencing them while talking to someone in real life.

In other cases I say Cars for RSR and the train for the Disneyland Railroad.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Pirates, Space, Thunder Mountain, Little Mermaid, Matterhorn, Tiki Room, Star Tours, Indiana Jones - I usually leave out one to three words in the official titles when referencing them while talking to someone in real life.

All that ^

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post

*nod* Pretty much the same for me with rides. I find with my friends that most of the "creative" nicknames as well as the general "oh crap, what's that called, yeah that place with the whatever in Adventureland" are the food and merch locations.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• formerly very helpful

Pretty much that, too.

After one trip on the swinging gondolas, I now call Mickey's Fun Wheel, Mickey's Death Wheel.

The Finding Nemo Submarine is simply The Subs.

Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes is simply The Canoes.

It's a Small World is just Small World.

The only time I ever really get irritated when people change the names is when they do something really, really dumb, like calling Space Mountain "Magic Mountain."

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I basically call every attraction with one word or two: Space, Tours, Buzz, Auto, EO, Subs, Matterhorn, Small World, Roger, Gadget, Storybook, Casey Jr. Carrousel, Mr. Toad's, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, Indy, Jungle, Pirates, Mansion, Pooh, Canoes, Trains, Tower, Monsters, Racers, Maters, Luigi's, Screamin', Ariel, Grizzly, and Soarin' They are so much easier to remember and say. Saves time to say something.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Pretty much that, too.

After one trip on the swinging gondolas, I now call Mickey's Fun Wheel, Mickey's Death Wheel.

The Finding Nemo Submarine is simply The Subs.

Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes is simply The Canoes.

It's a Small World is just Small World.

The only time I ever really get irritated when people change the names is when they do something really, really dumb, like calling Space Mountain "Magic Mountain."
    That also

People really call space mountain, "Maigic Mountain"? LMAO

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    That also

People really call space mountain, "Maigic Mountain"? LMAO
    Used to live in Garden Grove a short distance from the park. I was stopped a few times on the street to provide directions to "Magic Mountain". If I was feeling like being a jerk, I would.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Interesting thread here boglurch, I wonder where you got the idea...

I tend to call things by their official name unless it is too long. For example, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - I will call Big Thunder, Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye - Indy. The Market House - Starbucks
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Interesting thread here boglurch, I wonder where you got the idea...

I tend to call things by their official name unless it is too long. For example, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - I will call Big Thunder, Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye - Indy. The Market House - Starbucks
    I've been hashing this over with outside-of-board friends who go to the parks frequently as well (it's why I decided to dedicate a thread to it). Generally speaking it seems most of the time people frequently abbreviate or rename rides, occasionally rename restaurants if they like them and don't care if they don't, and for the most part couldn't tell you the names of the shops/snack vendors even if you painted it on a snake and had it bite them. Try it with your non-Dizfan friends, pretty sure you'll get the same results. If you ask them where they'd go for, say, pizza in the park, you're likely to either get "that place in Tomorrowland" or "Isn't there that place in Fantasyland, you know, by Pinocchio?" (actual replies to that question).

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I've been hashing this over with outside-of-board friends who go to the parks frequently as well (it's why I decided to dedicate a thread to it). Generally speaking it seems most of the time people frequently abbreviate or rename rides, occasionally rename restaurants if they like them and don't care if they don't, and for the most part couldn't tell you the names of the shops/snack vendors even if you painted it on a snake and had it bite them. Try it with your non-Dizfan friends, pretty sure you'll get the same results. If you ask them where they'd go for, say, pizza in the park, you're likely to either get "that place in Tomorrowland" or "Isn't there that place in Fantasyland, you know, by Pinocchio?" (actual replies to that question).
    Yecchhh! That place by Pinocchio! When I think pizza, I think Naples...
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Queen Elsa

I call Holly Jolly Bakery Mary Poppins restuant. Little Green Men store Buzz Lightyear The restaunt next to Pinocchio's ride I call it Pinocchio's restaunt. Not to sure what else I call by the characters name.

• The doctor is in

I rarely use the full names for rides when I'm there. It's usually Pirates, Matterhorn, Space, Thunder Mountain, Splash, etc..

For DCA I usually do Toy Story, Little Mermaid, Racers, Monsters Inc, etc..
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast