Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• ShovelyBubblyGobblyGook

Re: Disneyland vs. Disneyworld.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Exactly. I don't mean to judge, but there's gotta be more reasons to move to CA besides just Disneyland.
    Perhaps, but I definitely would never be able to LEAVE California because of Disneyland. I've entertained the thought of living abroad but in the end I know I wouldn't be able to because I could, personally, never leave SoCal cos it's got everything I love. Most especially DL :3

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

This is the one thing I just don't get about Walt. He built Disneyland in an area that he knew one day was going to be populated - SRI told him that population growth in the Los Angeles area would be flowing in the direction toward Anaheim. Isn't this one of the reasons he built there? So he could not have expected Disneyland to remain situated in an idyllic rural setting forever. Then why did he become frustrated with all the development surrounding the park? He should have expected it. If anything this supports my thoughts that he wasn't interested in theme parks when he was buying up land for WDW. He was strictly interested in urban design and controlling his environments.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Well, I'm heading to Disney World for the first time in 3 years in a few weeks determined to give it another go. The first trip was a bit of a let down, but much of that was due to the weather (SNOW!!!). In any case I am deterimied to not look at the similarities between the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland, but more look and enjoy what makes the Magic Kingdon unique and special. Also, I missed half of Epcot last time... Ugh.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    This is the one thing I just don't get about Walt. He built Disneyland in an area that he knew one day was going to be populated - SRI told him that population growth in the Los Angeles area would be flowing in the direction toward Anaheim. Isn't this one of the reasons he built there? So he could not have expected Disneyland to remain situated in an idyllic rural setting forever. Then why did he become frustrated with all the development surrounding the park? He should have expected it. If anything this supports my thoughts that he wasn't interested in theme parks when he was buying up land for WDW. He was strictly interested in urban design and controlling his environments.
    You don't have to think it, because it's a fact; Walt Disney wasn't interested in theme parks after Disneyland. He didn't like repeating himself, and he said he was through with theme parks. His project in Florida, E.P.C.O.T, was supposed to be an actual city, as I bet most of us know. The only reason he agreed to have Magic Kingdom built is because he needed money to actually build his city, this "Disneyland East" became the solution. It was always E.P.C.O.T to Mr. Disney. Unfortunately, this never happened, as his city is now a theme park.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Quote Originally Posted by ZomBats View Post
    Perhaps, but I definitely would never be able to LEAVE California because of Disneyland. I've entertained the thought of living abroad but in the end I know I wouldn't be able to because I could, personally, never leave SoCal cos it's got everything I love. Most especially DL :3
    I'm guessing you're fairly young if Disneyland is what is keeping you in So Cal. With age, marriage, children, etc, I'm guessing your perspective will change...though I could be wrong.

I love DL, been going for 40+ years but I can honestly say there is no way DL even comes into the conversation about what is keeping me in So. Cal. The weather, a 30 minute drive to the beach, a 45 minute drive to our cabin, so many amazing things to do beyond Disneyland...those are the things that keep me here.

I find it interesting (and a little strange) when i hear about bloggers/podcasters giving up their jobs just so they can move closer to WDW and go to the theme parks there every day. It feels a bit obsessive but hey, they're adults and it's what makes them happy.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    As I've said, I love me both, and I see no competition, but I really do feel that WDW gives a better feel of being secluded away from reality than DL does. I really do like that feeling of not even seeing non-Disney buildings for my whole vacation.
    Completely agree with this. Being locals, Disneyland never felt like a true escape, like I was in the Disney bubble. Going to WDW was a completely different experience. If you stay completely on property, as we did, you can't help but be completely immersed. Despite alot of the negativity being directed toward WDW, I loved every minute of both of our stays and though we were very tired, both vacations were easily toward the top of our family vacations.

All that being said, Disneyland will always be the most special park to me. The originality, the quaintness, years of great memories...so many factors that make it my favorite.

And for anyone bashing Pirates at DL...ya'll cray cray I don't think there is a better themed ride in any park anywhere. It's perfect in every way IMO.

Here is my take on the whole Disneyland vs. Disney World thing. I grew up going to Disney World with my family. Actually took my wife there for the first time in 2009. In 2012 we went to Disneyland. Now, we made a 9 day trip of it in Southern California but there is no doubt Disneyland was the crown jewel of that trip. However, I told myself repeatedly that if things just aren't the same as Disney World not to be disapointed. I walked in there with a bias towards Disney World, I really did.

However, I love Disneyland as much as Disney World. You know when you have two kids and you love them equally but differently? Kind of like that.

Disneyland was smaller, more cozy and even more nostalgic. It was where it all began. DCA was a wonderful park despite the things I had heard. Sure there are only two parks as opposed to 4 and 2 water parks at WDW but going to WDW is a different trip, a different experience.

In the end my wife and I both agreed that when you just isolate a single park, that Disneyland trumps Magic Kingdom. In almost every way it seemed better. Magic Kingdom has things like Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree and Carousel of Progress as well as the whole anticipation of getting there by either ferry or monorail. But Disneyland is just a better all around park.

As for the resorts, comparing them is almost like saying what is better steak or lobster? Disneyland has everything right there within walking distance. WDW is more isolated which is fun too but like I said these resorts are different, but in a good way. WDW has more to do, but you can't underestimate the quality that Disneyland crams in there.

Put it this way, we have a son who will be 3 in April. My wife is expecting our 2nd one in February. I figure if we get the chance September would be a good time to visit one of the parks. The youngest will be 7 months old and to be honest I just want to experience the parks again and have our son see it for the first time. I know one thing, there will be more things for him to do at Disneyland from a single park standpoint, but there are a lot of pros and cons to this. I am from near Toronto and from a geographical standpoint it makes more sense to fly down to Florida, but I am torn.

Which makes me think, isn't that what a true Disney fan really should be? Shouldn't we celebrate the fact that two different parks on different sides of the coast give so much joy to everyone. One resort has something that the other one doesn't. And I can't stand the people who refuse to visit the "other" one because it isn't their "home" park. Hey, their loss, not mine because I know just how wonderful each one is in its own way.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    going to WDW is a different trip, a different experience.

...One resort has something that the other one doesn't. And I can't stand the people who refuse to visit the "other" one because it isn't their "home" park. Hey, their loss, not mine because I know just how wonderful each one is in its own way.
    EXACTLY! Very well said Big Phil I've always felt you need to look at vacations to each resort as a different experiences. As I've mentioned in other posts, I feel like Disneyland is by far the best individual park, but a trip to WDW is about a longer vacation with a wider range of options of things to do/see. I feel people on here get too caught up in which resort is better instead of just saying, "hey it's all fun because it's all Disney." YES I think there's a bunch of stuff at WDW that can (and SHOULD) be improved, but I still have fun going there. I like to hope that they'll continue expanding and improving things everywhere in the world of Disney parks (and hopefully at a faster pace). But in the end, it's still Disney and I LOVE DISNEY.

• Sock Puppet

I usually am pretty unbiased because I visit and love both resorts. For example, when I got off of WDW,s Splash, I said man that's better than DL. When I get off of Space at DL, since the recurb, I say man that's so much better than WDW. I don't try to dissect every thing on the ride. Just what was the best experience.2summers ago my wife and I had the experience of visiting both parks within 2 months. When we got off WDW Pirates, it was the biggest attraction satisfaction difference of any clones. By far. We both thought what, that's it.
    I don't need to count scenes or animatronics or even look at my stopwatch for which one is longer. You just know which one gave you a better experience when you get off.
    The DL version of Pirates is just miles better than WDW's version in terms of satisfaction and feeling complete. It really is a jarring difference when you ride them so close to each other.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Replying to a variety of posts here:

Walt ran out of money in Anaheim. He had to ask his friend Jack to build Disneyland Hotel and that deal prevented Walt from building competition against it. I bet if he had the money, he would have bought the surrounding space in an instant. Of course after Disneyland was built, that land price went sky high making it pretty difficult.

City of Anaheim vs Florida isn't really a comparison. When I'm at Disneyland Resort, I'm at Disney designed property the entire time (with the exception of Paradise Pier hotel and to a certain extent the original Disneyland Hotel). With Walt Disney World, I have to travel (often by bus) through the swampy greens of Florida to get from hotel to park, park to hotel, hotel to downtown disney, etc etc. At Disneyland, I'm on foot or monorail.

What I love about Vegas is that sure there's cabs but I can do it all on foot if I preferred. More of WDW needs to be built adjacent to something else and I would enjoy it so much more. It's a preference. Those busses are the antithesis of magical. In some odd sense, Universal Orlando is more magical having everything tied together with Citywalk.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    EXACTLY! Very well said Big Phil I've always felt you need to look at vacations to each resort as a different experiences. As I've mentioned in other posts, I feel like Disneyland is by far the best individual park, but a trip to WDW is about a longer vacation with a wider range of options of things to do/see. I feel people on here get too caught up in which resort is better instead of just saying, "hey it's all fun because it's all Disney." YES I think there's a bunch of stuff at WDW that can (and SHOULD) be improved, but I still have fun going there. I like to hope that they'll continue expanding and improving things everywhere in the world of Disney parks (and hopefully at a faster pace). But in the end, it's still Disney and I LOVE DISNEY.
    That's right. You know, I've left both parks at the end of the night after the fireworks. Both fireworks shows are amazing and give you that Disney feeling to close the night out. You can't be in WDW and not feel the magic of Disney either, it certainly is there and 42 of the place being there I think it is time for people to admit there is a lot of nostalgia at that park as well. Not the history of Disneyland, but still. When I leave Magic Kingdom, it is a slow drawn out process of watching the park get further and further away from me while we ride the ferry. There is a magical feel to that, sort of a mystique in a way, almost as if you are literally being transported back to reality. Bottom line is, I cherish things at each park in their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    I usually am pretty unbiased because I visit and love both resorts. For example, when I got off of WDW,s Splash, I said man that's better than DL. When I get off of Space at DL, since the recurb, I say man that's so much better than WDW. I don't try to dissect every thing on the ride. Just what was the best experience.2summers ago my wife and I had the experience of visiting both parks within 2 months. When we got off WDW Pirates, it was the biggest attraction satisfaction difference of any clones. By far. We both thought what, that's it.
    I don't need to count scenes or animatronics or even look at my stopwatch for which one is longer. You just know which one gave you a better experience when you get off.
    The DL version of Pirates is just miles better than WDW's version in terms of satisfaction and feeling complete. It really is a jarring difference when you ride them so close to each other.
    Yes, Pirates is the biggest difference. I truly loved the Disneyland Pirates better. No question. The queue in WDW is better, but that's where it ends. I was a little skeptical of the Disneyland version starting in the Blue Bayou but it ties in well. Splash Mountain is significantly better in WDW to the point where it was clearly noticeable. However, if everything was the same we wouldn't visit both parks.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    That's right. You know, I've left both parks at the end of the night after the fireworks. Both fireworks shows are amazing and give you that Disney feeling to close the night out. You can't be in WDW and not feel the magic of Disney either, it certainly is there and 42 of the place being there I think it is time for people to admit there is a lot of nostalgia at that park as well. Not the history of Disneyland, but still. When I leave Magic Kingdom, it is a slow drawn out process of watching the park get further and further away from me while we ride the ferry. There is a magical feel to that, sort of a mystique in a way, almost as if you are literally being transported back to reality. Bottom line is, I cherish things at each park in their own way.
    I agree. When you leave Magic Kingdom by either Monorail or ferry, there is a bit of nostalgia in it. Same goes when you approach the park by either means (I really like taking the monorail in and seeing the castle and Space Mountain as you approach. Granted, I feel MK is a 7 whereas Disneyland is a 10, but yes it does have it's own nostalgic aspects.

• Disneyland Dreamer

I'm going to visit WDW again this year I suspect. I've visited it when I was 3, 6, and 12 I think. I've done DLR when I was 10, 32, 33, and 35. I think my perspective is biased because WDW was done so long ago, and never as an adult, so I'm going to rock the MK on a business trip. Maybe hit up a different park on each bus trip (however I don't see a need to do EPCOT again... once in my life was enough).

From my perspective, DLR blows WDW out of the water.... and the weather is a million times better in socal vs. FL.

• Sock Puppet

I love the DLR and its my favorite, but there are absolutely some superiorities at WDW.
    The biggest being that there are no type of experiences at DLR that you can't have at WDW. However, there are some huge experiences at WDW that DLR has no equal experience.
    The 2 that most come to mind are The Kilimanjaro Safarri at AK, and The World Showcase at EPCOT. DLR has nothing even remotely similar to those awesome experiences. There are other examples as well.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Here's a blog post from an East Coaster about Disneyland vs Walt Disney World. In case you're all interested:

*Passport to Dreams Old & New: My California Adventure

"Ride for ride, meal for meal, and park for park, Disneyland's two parks offer as much to as Walt Disney World's four, and in many cases Disneyland simply does it better."

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast