Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Mr. Toads Wild Trackless Ride 2015: Securing Popular Longevity For Generations Ah

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Terrible idea. Updating Toad would mean it would have to comply with new OSHA standards and would require 36" of clearence on both sides of the vehicle. That would completely destroy the ride.
    You're entitled to your opinion. There comes a time for change for all things. That's just a fact of nature. To leave the ride frozen in time, it would eventually fall to the wayside as Disney finds favor with another attraction - a complete replacement,

I love the ride as it stands, but this does not mean that there is no room for upgrading. The 36" clearance (each side} is not enough to stop Imagineers from using modern tech to deliver a whopper of a newly revamped ride. That said, I hope Cal-ODHA one day loses it's almost autonomous power to make and enforce building code rules.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Re: Mr. Toads Wild Trackless Ride 2015: Securing Popular Longevity For Generations Ah

A trackless ride system is only effective when there are large rooms where the ride vehicles can freely travel.

Because of the intimacy of Mr. Toad and the tight corners/show scenes, a trackless system just wouldn't work. Why change the ride system? It already works perfectly for that particular attraction.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    A trackless ride system is only effective when there are large rooms where the ride vehicles can freely travel.

Because of the intimacy of Mr. Toad and the tight corners/show scenes, a trackless system just wouldn't work. Why change the ride system? It already works perfectly for that particular attraction.
    There's no written absolute as to what kind of floor space is required in order to be successful, They could be built with b
    The entertainment value of metro busses and taxis is definitely free. If most commercial advertising wasn't appealing and entertaining, various products would be far less competitive and would have far less quality.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    There's no written absolute as to what kind of floor space is required in order to be successful
    I'm saying that the trackless ride system only works effectively when there are large rooms where multiple vehicles can move independently and freely. It gives the impression that the vehicles are not controlled and move on their own.

In the tight and narrow show scenes of Mr. Toad, a trackless ride system wouldn't look any different from the bus bar system currently used. Why spend a ton of money in redoing the ride system with absolutely zero visual payoff? It just doesn't make sense, money-wise and show-wise. The current bus bar system is perfectly effective and allows for the out-of-control nature the attraction requires. Why change something that isn't broken?

I agree with revamping the ride, there i said it. Imagineerers aren't as reckless and uncaring as Orlando. Beside didn't they go to college in engineering. Those are not easy stuff. Beside it's long due for an upgrade. I love mr.toad as a childhood favorite and my mom who is 61 which was her favorite ride as a child would very much appreciate the change. The tracks and props are just pathetic, compared to many other classic Fantastyland attractions today. I'm a disney purist myself. I would love to see a realistic Mr.Toad adventure without any tracks and with real props instead of that cardboard crap which is laughable compared to many Disneyland rides. Just remember my fellow Disney purists you always forgot the term "Disneyland would never be completed".

• Under that tree again!

One of the things I think make toad very unique is the forces felt because of the mix of swerves and speed. Otherwise it would be a very generic ride system, like Pinnochio, Snow White, Alice, Pooh, Roger Rabbit and Monster's Inc across the way all use and which are in every amusement park.

One things that has made Disney Parks great is the variety of ride systems in each of its parks. Suspended cars in Peter Pan, standard roller coaster on Big Thunder, large boats in the Rivers of America, small flume boats on POTC, realistic boats on the JC, full size DLRR, mini rail on Casey Jr, Monorail, submarine, a few spinners like Dumbo, omnimovers Doom Buggies, Canoes, once gondolas.....

It's that variety that is the spice of life.

We have lots of 3D movie things, lots of sit down and watch the shows. We don't need more of that stuff, we want something terribly new.

So when we use another ride system for one of the standard rides, that is where I would hope the trackless system goes, like Pooh Bear in Tokyo did.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    I'm saying that the trackless ride system only works effectively when there are large rooms where multiple vehicles can move independently and freely. It gives the impression that the vehicles are not controlled and move on their own.

In the tight and narrow show scenes of Mr. Toad, a trackless ride system wouldn't look any different from the bus bar system currently used. Why spend a ton of money in redoing the ride system with absolutely zero visual payoff? It just doesn't make sense, money-wise and show-wise. The current bus bar system is perfectly effective and allows for the out-of-control nature the attraction requires. Why change something that isn't broken?
    My thoughts are that there should be one or two large open rooms, and the rest of the rooms including straight and narrow passageways. along with drivers "steering their way thru the frenzied maze of a ride, the trackless system would allow for the cars to back up screaming in reverse (perhaps one or two times, plus spin around at least once.

Your reference to Disney spending unnecessary money might be the company investing in another ride, and dumping Mr. toad as it did in Orlando. Being behind the times in terms of mechanics. effects and flat cardboard props instead of more realistic full dimensional will only cause the ride to become less popular among general guests.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by ParadiseDude View Post
    I agree with revamping the ride, there i said it. Imagineerers aren't as reckless and uncaring as Orlando. Beside didn't they go to college in engineering. Those are not easy stuff. Beside it's long due for an upgrade. I love mr.toad as a childhood favorite and my mom who is 61 which was her favorite ride as a child would very much appreciate the change. The tracks and props are just pathetic, compared to many other classic Fantastyland attractions today. I'm a disney purist myself. I would love to see a realistic Mr.Toad adventure without any tracks and with real props instead of that cardboard crap which is laughable compared to many Disneyland rides. Just remember my fellow Disney purists you always forgot the term "Disneyland would never be completed".
    well said ParadiseDude! Like Disneyland, Mr. Toad's wild ride will never be complete....as long as there is imagination. A trackless ride system would advance the fun forward into a more realistic experience....and perhaps even inspire new generations of Disney enthusiasts to read the Wind In the Willows.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    One of the things I think make toad very unique is the forces felt because of the mix of swerves and speed. Otherwise it would be a very generic ride system, like Pinnochio, Snow White, Alice, Pooh, Roger Rabbit and Monster's Inc across the way all use and which are in every amusement park.

One things that has made Disney Parks great is the variety of ride systems in each of its parks. Suspended cars in Peter Pan, standard roller coaster on Big Thunder, large boats in the Rivers of America, small flume boats on POTC, realistic boats on the JC, full size DLRR, mini rail on Casey Jr, Monorail, submarine, a few spinners like Dumbo, omnimovers Doom Buggies, Canoes, once gondolas.....

It's that variety that is the spice of life.

We have lots of 3D movie things, lots of sit down and watch the shows. We don't need more of that stuff, we want something terribly new.

So when we use another ride system for one of the standard rides, that is where I would hope the trackless system goes, like Pooh Bear in Tokyo did.
    We were talking about three dimensional physical props.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-02-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Toad is pretty much perfect the way it is. Long lines are a testament to it's popularity in its current state.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Toad is pretty much perfect the way it is. Long lines are a testament to it's popularity in its current state.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Disney could nor have built a sturdier ride, that has stood the time for half of the 20th Century and well into the 21st. That said, as it approaches ancient relic status it will not survive without some major upgrades. Even I as a human bring cannot survive without regular (sometimes major) health "upgrades". Don't think Walt would have wanted Mr. Toad to never be improved upon either.

I do hope, though, that a Disney "Yesteryear" park will one day be built, and that nothing would ever be done to change or improve it. It would likely run into the red due to consistently low attendance. But that's ok, because there would be no need for investment that would create positive needed change to keep it financially alive.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ParadiseDude View Post
    First off, everything done for Orlando was done by the same Imagineers at Glendale. If a result is reckless and uncaring, then it's due to what management dictates.

Second, no, they (most Imagineers) didn't go to college in engineering. While there are some engineers in the company, they are only a small portion of the Imagineers involved in a project.

As for a Toad upgrade, they can certainly update some of the effects (like they did with the Castle Walk Thru). But there won't be any change in the ride system itself. In spite of some comments, Toad is a SMALL attraction and there is just no room to modify the actual ride layout.

Finally, Disneyland changes. Has nothing to do with "Disneyland would never be completed".
    Last edited by bfdf55; 09-02-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post

I do hope, though, that a Disney "Yesteryear" park will one day be built, and that nothing would ever be done to change or improve it. It would likely run into the red due to consistently low attendance. But that's ok, because there would be no need for investment that would create positive needed change to keep it financially alive.
    So...you want them to build a park which would be purposefully unpopular? I'm no financial expert, but that's not going to happen. Also, it's true that they need to upgrade attractions from time to time, and they already have done that with "Toad" with the 1983 New Fantasyland.
    There are so many things in the park that are in bad need of fixing, like the Peoplemover/Rocket Rods track..
    And isn't there some kind of rule in place, in California at least, that any "common carrier"(ride vehicle, bus, etc.) needs either a human at the controls, or some kind of track, flume, rail,etc. to guide it? Do you really think that CALOSHA, DOSH whatever is going to become looser about rule enforcement? And if they do, you want, not, say, a California version of "Mystic Manor" or "Ratatouille Kitchen Kalamity", or a revamped "Pooh" ride to make it like Tokyo's. No, you want them to redo a former "C" ticket tucked away in a corner of Fantasyland, based on a movie that no one remembers, and then, only based on HALF of said movie.
    And this is a ride that's in an area with limited space, as opposed to say Mansion, Pirates, or iasw, which are located on the perimeter. Toad has limited space, unless there's a tesseract back there that I don't know about, or unless you want to remove those restrooms over by "Alice" on the side of the ride facing the Mattehorn, and even that wouldn't really give you much more room.

• Master Gracey's Music Man

I am of the sentiment that audio and effects upgrades would be fine but a trackless ride system wouldnt be something I'd see being necessary for this classic. Plus if they were to revamp the entire thing that means we could lose the ride through hell.

I also concur, long live the Toad!
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    First off, everything done for Orlando was done by the same Imagineers at Glendale. If a result is reckless and uncaring, then it's due to what management dictates.

Second, no, they (most Imagineers) didn't go to college in engineering. While there are some engineers in the company, they are only a small portion of the Imagineers involved in a project.

As for a Toad upgrade, they can certainly update some of the effects (like they did with the Castle Walk Thru). But there won't be any change in the ride system itself. In spite of some comments, Toad is a SMALL attraction and there is just no room to modify the actual ride layout.

Finally, Disneyland changes. Has nothing to do with "Disneyland would never be completed".
    Clever state of the art Special effects are part of what I have indicated that I was hoping for at the poll that I created for this thread. If it turns out not to be trackless that will certainly not ruin my day. However, you cannot guarantee that Mr. Toad will not be trackless.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast