Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Mr. Toads Wild Trackless Ride 2015: Securing Popular Longevity For Generations Ah

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    So...you want them to build a park which would be purposefully unpopular? I'm no financial expert, but that's not going to happen. Also, it's true that they need to upgrade attractions from time to time, and they already have done that with "Toad" with the 1983 New Fantasyland.
    There are so many things in the park that are in bad need of fixing, like the Peoplemover/Rocket Rods track..
    And isn't there some kind of rule in place, in California at least, that any "common carrier"(ride vehicle, bus, etc.) needs either a human at the controls, or some kind of track, flume, rail,etc. to guide it? Do you really think that CALOSHA, DOSH whatever is going to become looser about rule enforcement? And if they do, you want, not, say, a California version of "Mystic Manor" or "Ratatouille Kitchen Kalamity", or a revamped "Pooh" ride to make it like Tokyo's. No, you want them to redo a former "C" ticket tucked away in a corner of Fantasyland, based on a movie that no one remembers, and then, only based on HALF of said movie.
    And this is a ride that's in an area with limited space, as opposed to say Mansion, Pirates, or iasw, which are located on the perimeter. Toad has limited space, unless there's a tesseract back there that I don't know about, or unless you want to remove those restrooms over by "Alice" on the side of the ride facing the Mattehorn, and even that wouldn't really give you much more room.
    I don't want it to be built for me. I want it to be built for Disney purist theme police against change. Hopefully that would stop their endless cycle of complaints against progress in the main parks for a while.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Mr. Toads Wild Trackless Ride 2015: Securing Popular Longevity For Generations Ah

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted Mansion DJ View Post
    I am of the sentiment that audio and effects upgrades would be fine but a trackless ride system wouldnt be something I'd see being necessary for this classic. Plus if they were to revamp the entire thing that means we could lose the ride through hell.

I also concur, long live the Toad!
    Again, any modern technology based changes that Disney brings to the ride will be enthusiastically received by yours truly....trackless or not. Thank you, Haunted Mansion. for perceiving that I am striving, for my part, to help keep the ride alive and kicking for many years to come.

LONG LIVE MR. TOAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    There's no written absolute as to what kind of floor space is required in order to be successful, They could be built with b
    The entertainment value of metro busses and taxis is definitely free. If most commercial advertising wasn't appealing and entertaining, various products would be far less competitive and would have far less quality.
    Actually, there are most definitely minimum requirements for floor space for an attraction based on the type of ride system being used. The existing Toad ride is a slow vehicle following a path with tight turns, show action doors and effects. Yes, they could spend ten times as much to incorporate a free range ride system that would STILL have a slow vehicle following a path with tight turns, show action doors and effects. But why?

As for "entertainment value" of buses and taxis, if you are that easily entertained, isn't going to Disneyland a bit excessive?

Advertising doesn't need to be entertaining for it to be successful. Entertaining ads may be more enjoyable, but it's the sponsors name and message that are the most important. If the name and message aren't remembered, entertaining ads are useless.

And the quality and entertainment value of ads has absolutely NO relation to a product's quality.

Stop this "update everything" mentality. Why update? It's a totally unique ride, the twists and turns (hence slow and fast), delightful retro animation, nothing like it at Disneyland. People will appreciate this ride essentially forever, for what it is. There's enough "room" at Disneyland to leave some things sacrosanct. This is one of them.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    Actually, there are most definitely minimum requirements for floor space for an attraction based on the type of ride system being used. The existing Toad ride is a slow vehicle following a path with tight turns, show action doors and effects. Yes, they could spend ten times as much to incorporate a free range ride system that would STILL have a slow vehicle following a path with tight turns, show action doors and effects. But why?

As for "entertainment value" of buses and taxis, if you are that easily entertained, isn't going to Disneyland a bit excessive?

Advertising doesn't need to be entertaining for it to be successful. Entertaining ads may be more enjoyable, but it's the sponsors name and message that are the most important. If the name and message aren't remembered, entertaining ads are useless.

And the quality and entertainment value of ads has absolutely NO relation to a product's quality.
    It does make sense that the state would regulate the amount of minimal floor space needed depending on the type od darkride in question. I doubt that a free range ride system would require anywhere close ten times the monetary infusion as you have mentioned. Non-cheesy -cardboard interactive props, modernized effects, and a new ride system from this century would likely cost more than trying to re-install a considerable part of the mechanics from well over half a century ago (if these parts could still be found). Whatever the case, Disney is flush with cash from it's current theme park investments, and it could easily afford modern world ride technology and mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
    Stop this "update everything" mentality. Why update? It's a totally unique ride, the twists and turns (hence slow and fast), delightful retro animation, nothing like it at Disneyland. People will appreciate this ride essentially forever, for what it is. There's enough "room" at Disneyland to leave some things sacrosanct. This is one of them.
    Better to update than to "down-date." The only place that there is plenty of room for ancient museum type attritions that never offer anything new is Yesterland....and even that exists because of modern technology in a modern virtual world on-line.

It's far more financially doable to modernize the mechanics of a ride than to attempt to resurrect all the components of a bygone era from close to a century ago. I consider the consequences of inaction greater than the consequences of action.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-03-2013 at 06:04 PM.

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

I'm all for updating the Fantasyland attractions, but like others have said, a trackless Mr. Toad probably would not work logistically. But aside from that... Does it make much sense for a ride where you are supposed to be driving a runaway motorcar to move in the manner that trackless rides do? Trackless rides have smooth, fluid movements (from what I have seen, at least... I've never experienced one firsthand), which contradicts the sharp turns and brisk pace that Mr. Toad currently has.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 7.23.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 18

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    I'm all for updating the Fantasyland attractions, but like others have said, a trackless Mr. Toad probably would not work logistically. But aside from that... Does it make much sense for a ride where you are supposed to be driving a runaway motorcar to move in the manner that trackless rides do? Trackless rides have smooth, fluid movements (from what I have seen, at least... I've never experienced one firsthand), which contradicts the sharp turns and brisk pace that Mr. Toad currently has.
    There is more freedom of movement in a trackless ride. This modicum of freedom of motion certainly would lend itself to the feeling that one is in a runaway car.

I would like someone to provide an example of a trackless ride for me, preferably one at DLR or at WDW that I may have actually ridden. It isn't like Universe of Energy at Epcot, is it?

I would be open to a new Toad, but not if it's only a technology showcase and no more fun than the ride we have now.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

I think you guys want to update this ride because you've ridden it so many times, that it's become boring. I don't think Disneyland should update a ride because the super annual pass guests are bored with it, and have wrung out all satisfaction from it.
    Last edited by Goatboy; 09-03-2013 at 09:46 PM.

• Minion

It does make sense that the state would regulate the amount of minimal floor space needed depending on the type od darkride in question. I doubt that a free range ride system would require anywhere close ten times the monetary infusion as you have mentioned. Non-cheesy -cardboard interactive props, modernized effects, and a new ride system from this century would likely cost more than trying to re-install a considerable part of the mechanics from well over half a century ago (if these parts could still be found). Whatever the case, Disney is flush with cash from it's current theme park investments, and it could easily afford modern world ride technology and mechanisms.

Better to update than to "down-date." The only place that there is plenty of room for ancient museum type attritions that never offer anything new is Yesterland....and even that exists because of modern technology in a modern virtual world on-line.

It's far more financially doable to modernize the mechanics of a ride than to attempt to resurrect all the components of a bygone era from close to a century ago. I consider the consequences of inaction greater than the consequences of action.
    There are A-Ticket rides through E-Ticket rides and the technology involved in each level correspond to the cost of the technology involved. For a C-Ticket attraction to be converted to an E-Ticket ride system (yes, at ten times the cost) is not cost effective for the company.

As for your comment above (bolded), just try and tell Disney that. Trying to achieve an adequate budget for any project is hard enough. But trying to convince them that an excessive ride system for a C-Ticket attraction is warranted would be wasted energy.

• Minion

There is more freedom of movement in a trackless ride. This modicum of freedom of motion certainly would lend itself to the feeling that one is in a runaway car.
    How much more freedom would be available when the ride is basically going down a narrow road through the ride. Even the "freedom" that Autopia has is limited by a guide. And that level of "freedom" wouldn't provide any benefit for the Toad attraction with it's even narrower road.

It's not like the rider has any control over the ride itself. Even if it were a trackless ride system, it would still be following the same path every time (which you would apparently quickly get tired of).

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    How much more freedom would be available when the ride is basically going down a narrow road through the ride. Even the "freedom" that Autopia has is limited by a guide. And that level of "freedom" wouldn't provide any benefit for the Toad attraction with it's even narrower road.

It's not like the rider has any control over the ride itself. Even if it were a trackless ride system, it would still be following the same path every time (which you would apparently quickly get tired of).
    Having one or two rooms of significantly more freedom of movement is all that would be needed for an enjoyable varied experience, track wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    I would like someone to provide an example of a trackless ride for me, preferably one at DLR or at WDW that I may have actually ridden. It isn't like Universe of Energy at Epcot, is it?

I would be open to a new Toad, but not if it's only a technology showcase and no more fun than the ride we have now.
    The thing is trackless ride systems are really not that new of a technology it was in development in the late 1970s and yes not my real name Universe of Energy is a trackless ride system. And there's TRS at other parks all over the country like Kenny wood park outside of Pittsburgh the now defunked hard rock park had TRS sea world has it now I am sure there's more but the problem for me is all the trackless vehicles I have rode are rather slow and I have no idea what there max seed is but the ones I been on move much more slowly then a toad car.

• Singing Drinker

I'm not against changing Toad as a basic point of view. I just have trouble seeing how a trackless ride system would improve on things with the ride in it's current location and configuration.

If you were to redo the ride completely, give it a larger show building and redo the ride start to finish to take advantage of the new tech, sure. As it stands now though, not only is the propulsion system designed to take riders through on the path it is facing the way it is, but the *sets* are designed that way. Any time you start incorporating vehicles that twist or turn or otherwise modify the angle of view, you're also looking at having to radically plus up the areas that it does this. As a poor example, look at how the Disneyland Pooh ride comes off - even with the knowledge of exactly where the cars aren't viewing sets square on, there are still many places where "2D" figures are viewed at severely foreshortened or side-on angles, and the way they handled the "Blustery Day" section is IMO 100% car motion 0% effective deco.

For better or worse, the tech they have works well within the ride they have. Any change to the ride system like this would almost certainly have to include a ground-up rebuild of the ride in a new facility with new sets, new designs, and because that's the way things usually happen likely a change in story to go with it all to give the new Imagineering team a chance to shine. Hate to say it, but I really don't see TDA willing to sign off on the money it'd take to do it right.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Having one or two rooms of significantly more freedom of movement is all that would be needed for an enjoyable varied experience, track wise.
    Could you be more specific about what you're hoping to achieve with more freedom of movement? I've been on Pooh's Hunny Hunt in Tokyo and what impressed me the most about the trackless ride system was how each pot could spin around and weave between each other, since the pots were dispatched in groups of three. Then there was the big room with 9 pots where everyone was spinning around in circles and weaving to corners of the room for different special effects. Even though the ride was mostly linear, the appeal to me was how all the vehicles managed to cross paths without hitting each other.

How would you work this into Mr. Toad? Multiple vehicles in the same scene works for Pooh and other rides (like Pirates) because the guest is a passive viewer to the scenes. But in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, you are Mr. Toad and are the one who's causing all the trouble (Right? Correct me if I'm wrong). I guess you could get rid of that aspect of the story and add animatronic Toads throughout the ride to solve this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast