Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Mr. Toads Wild Trackless Ride 2015: Securing Popular Longevity For Generations Ahead

Most of today's youth totally relate to the story behind four out of the five Fantasyland fairytale dark rides, i.e., Alice In Wonderland, Pinocchio, Snow white and Peter Pan. Unfortunately, the Wind In the Willows based story behind Mr. Toad is far more ambiguous....even to many adults and old timers. Due to this unfortunate reality, the Magic Kingdom's Mr.Toad received the chopping block ax years ago. Fast forward to today, and our Toad is proving to be quite resilient; it might even be said that he will soon be "toading the wet sprocket".

In 2015, Disneyland's 60th anniversary will bring with it a re-imagineered Mr. Toad, sure to benefit from plenty of modern technology. I perceive a trackless ride system to be a highly likely improvement. Other new components might include new floor layouts and pathways, holographic effects, stereo quad sound effects, AA's, fiber optics, perhaps even backwards travel diversions. Who knows- the sky's the limit in terms of possibilities. Let's here it for this unique and fun-filled ride that is related to a movie, but not a simple retelling of the exact storyline the way that too many Disney dark rides have always been. After all, the perpetuation of the obvious can produce high interest in the short-run, but has a way of becoming mundane in the long-run.

Keep going for it Mr. Toad - stay on track with success!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Re: Mr. Toads Wild Trackless Ride 2015: Securing Popular Longevity For Generations Ah

No thank you. Putting in new special effects is welcome, but the ride system is perfect the way it is imo. I don't think there is even enough room to install the trackless ride system without cutting a lot from the ride.

• Minion

Re: Mr. Toads Wild Trackless Ride 2015: Securing Popular Longevity For Generations Ah

The rumor for the sprucing up of the Fantasyland dark rides wasn't confirmed, right?

In regards to making Toad a trackless ride, I'd have to say no to that suggestion. I think something like that would kill Toad's charm (as well as the other Fantasyland dark rides). Not to mention I was a Classics CM... I may be biased here. I'm all for sprucing the dark rides and adding some nice special effects, though. I wish they'd replace Alice's ride system.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Parking Lot > DCA

This is the first I've heard of Fantasyland upgrades..

• Minion

^ It is only a rumor that was brought up on this site.
    MiceChat - Disney News, Disneyland Resort, MiceAge Update - MiceAge Disneyland Update: Mickey's Boomtown
    (It talks about it towards the bottom of the article.)

Can we get a mod to move this to the rumors threads?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    No thank you. Putting in new special effects is welcome, but the ride system is perfect the way it is imo. I don't think there is even enough room to install the trackless ride system without cutting a lot from the ride.
    In line with Walt's philosophy, creativity will always march triumphantly forward at Disneyland. Glad that you're open to new special effects, but ride systems can always be improved upon, just like practically anything else. Aside from Peter Pan, each of the Fantasyland dark rides could benefit from a trackless system, as opposed to languishing in the past while becoming increasingly outdated with each passing year.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    ^ It is only a rumor that was brought up on this site.
    MiceChat - Disney News, Disneyland Resort, MiceAge Update - MiceAge Disneyland Update: Mickey's Boomtown
    (It talks about it towards the bottom of the article.)
    Almost everything is ultimately a rumor, though this is a very strong rumor that males sense. If anyone thinks that Disney plans to celebrate Disneyland's 60th anniversary with nothing to show for it other than a sleek new skinning for Tomorrowland, I respectfully submit that that they very well may be wrong.

The upgrading of the five fairytale-based Fantasyland darkrides would involve far lesser expense than many other projects. As for there being a lack of space to install a trackless ride system in Mr. Toad, the Imagineers have always been quite clever and resourceful at working out ways to increase and utilize ride space effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    The rumor for the sprucing up of the Fantasyland dark rides wasn't confirmed, right?.
    As far as I'm concerned. Al is right on the money about the Fantasyland darkrides, about the Tomprrowland Star Wars coaster (replacement for the People Mover/rocket rods. and regarding the Monsters Doors Coaster.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    In regards to making Toad a trackless ride, I'd have to say no to that suggestion. I think something like that would kill Toad's charm (as well as the other Fantasyland dark rides). Not to mention I was a Classics CM... I may be biased here. I'm all for sprucing the dark rides and adding some nice special effects, though. I wish they'd replace Alice's ride system.
    I'm just guessing and hoping that Toad will get a trackless system. This isn't to say that the many of the current old fashioned props wouldn't remain. Even modern special effects would require that they be used in such a way that maintains the antique persona and charm of the ride. Walt never wanted anything completely frozen in time.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    This is the first I've heard of Fantasyland upgrades..
    The discussion of 69th anniversary plans has been infrequent.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I don't think there would be room to add trackless because of such close quarters that attraction already has with the Mad Hatter of Fantasyland and Peter Pan...now if they could go trackless for Peter Pan that would be sight. Now going trackless for Pooh and TSMM is a good possibility because of the type attraction and how much floor room they have to add to the systems (floor as in on the ground).
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    I don't think there would be room to add trackless because of such close quarters that attraction already has with the Mad Hatter of Fantasyland and Peter Pan...now if they could go trackless for Peter Pan that would be sight. Now going trackless for Pooh and TSMM is a good possibility because of the type attraction and how much floor room they have to add to the systems (floor as in on the ground).
    The attraction space for each of the five darkrides can be created by developing space in front of them, to the side of Alice, and by adding a level below the structure.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-01-2013 at 02:04 PM.

The strength of trackless vehicles is that you can meander through scenes, change direction/speed, stop and start, but to me Mr Toad is all about-out-of-control chaotic crashing through the English country side does not require something so elaborate. I could see them keeping the vehicles on the track, but adding effects to the vehicles that could shake and rotate them on cue instead.

To me it would be better value to add a trackless system to Pinocchio or Snow White. Both of them are experiences that would benefit from a ride system that could allow you to heightens the emotion of the scenes by shifting the speed and path, and even quickly change direction or spin around to give you a good startle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Most of today's youth totally relate to the story behind four out of the five Fantasyland fairytale dark rides, i.e., Alice In Wonderland, Pinocchio, Snow white and Peter Pan. Unfortunately, the Wind In the Willows based story behind Mr. Toad is far more ambiguous....even to many adults and old timers.
    I rode that ride into my twenties before I learned the story behind it...

Perhaps Disney could resurrect Mr. Toad as a character? And re-theme Autopia to Fantasyland Mr. Toad's trackless Wild Ride?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    I rode that ride into my twenties before I learned the story behind it...

Perhaps Disney could resurrect Mr. Toad as a character? And re-theme Autopia to Fantasyland Mr. Toad's trackless Wild Ride?
    Great idea! Redeveloping Autopia's land/site would lend itself to two massive attractions, with trackless toad being one of them. Autopia has become a cheap, unimaginative, low tech slow ride compared to Radiator Springs Racers.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-01-2013 at 06:07 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Long live the Toad.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    Long live the Toad.
    I second that devotion. He's pretty fly for a Toad guy.

• Special Agent

Terrible idea. Updating Toad would mean it would have to comply with new OSHA standards and would require 36" of clearence on both sides of the vehicle. That would completely destroy the ride.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast