View Poll Results: Upcoming Movie Monorail Skins At DLR That Would Rock Your Ride!

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thor: The Dark World

4 17.39%
  • Muppets Most Wanted

4 17.39%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

2 8.70%
  • Tomorrowland

16 69.57%
  • Planes: Fire and Rescue

3 13.04%
  • Captain America: the Winter Soldier

4 17.39%
  • Maleficent and/or Cinderella

7 30.43%
  • Guardians of the Galazy and/or The Good Dinosaur

2 8.70%
  • Finding Dory

8 34.78%
  • Ant-Man

2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    No. The monorails are supposed to be part of the experience of someplace else not a reminder of current brands and franchises.
    The monorails have become more of a regular mode of transportation at WDW Resort. This very much stands as a testament to Walt in that what he had helped start as a mode of transportation for the future has now become more accepted as norm. Disney has even sold some of it's older monorails to Las Vegas for public use.

Besides; Disney related movie skins (such as the previously mentioned Tron theme at WDW) are rockin' awesome, and does absolutely nothing to interfere with Disneyland theming, especially since the monorail travels outside of Disneyland proper. It's quite natural when Disneyland monorails periodically take on Disney movie themes. There's pretty much no difference in that and new movies potters having in the past been on display to those coming into the park.

If you wouldn't care for Disney themed skins on Disney monorails, I respect that. Hope you feel the same about my preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    The Monorails are ATTRACTIONS. They shouldn't just be considered corporate marketing tools. It's really irritating when I see the Monorails converted into huge billboards for the latest Disney film. It brings them down to the level of the local bus lines that shill out their busses for the same purpose.

You should have included a "None of the above" in your choices.
    Whoever said the Disney movie skins are just considered a company marketing tool, and not an entertaining part of the attraction? As for buses, I find the ones with advertising far more interesting than those without. The monorails travel to different places in the Resort that have advertising, so why shouldn't the trains be commercial....especially when it's Disney themed?

He said AD free. Not and free. And the WDW Monorails most certainly don't look shiny and sleek with those movie skins.
    Simply this: The monorails should be free not to be AD free.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I voted Tomorrowland, only because there was no choice for NONE. If they insist on advertising their upcoming movies, let them limit it to the esplanade and ticket booths. I know it's a business, but people go to Disneyland for an experience, not a marketing bombardment. Face it, you can't go to Disneyland without spending money, anyway. They'll make their profits on us, even without wrapping the monorails.
    Contraire.... People go to Disneyland for entertainment (many for straight up commercial entertainment). Wouldn't surprise me that various park guests would be compelled enough by the synergy between movie skinned monorails and Disney films that appear with other films at the Downtown Disney movie theater.

Your use of the word "bombardment" causes me to envision people running for cover in order to seek refuge from onslaught of Disney movie and themepark attraction ads.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    Where's the answer that says skins should never be applied to a Mark VII monorail? They look far too good to become rolling billboards for park visitors who already know whether they will take the time to see movie X or not.
    The trains would look better existing part of the time in their shimmery natural glory, and part of the time displaying different Disney themes....some movies of which end up as the basis for actual new Disneyland rides and other attractions. They help to keep the resort fresh and exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Thankfully the expensive paint on the Mark VII monorails is likely a deterent. At Walt Disney World a wrapped monorail gets a new paint job paid for by the Studio after doing time being wrapped.
    I'd like to see the process of the WDW monorails themed transitioning when they are wrapped, and watch the process of repainting them afterward. I think the DLR Mark II monorails would inspire change (including wraps), and certainly not deter it,
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-01-2013 at 08:48 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Foolish Mortal

Negative on all.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Whoever said the Disney movie skins are just considered a company marketing tool, and not an entertaining part of the attraction? As for buses, I find the ones with advertising far more interesting than those without. The monorails travel to different places in the Resort that have advertising, so why shouldn't the trains be commercial....especially when it's Disney themed?
    Simply this: The monorails should be free not to be AD free.
    If Disney movie skins are entertainment, then do you consider every metropolitan bus line that sports a Disney (or any other company's advertising) skin as entertainment? Then shouldn't THEY be free too?

While I consider the Monorails entertainment, I DON'T consider advertising entertainment!

In the REAL WORLD, you can argue that mass transit vehicles are JUST objects that allows them to be reduced to marketing tools. But, even there, CLASSY public operations DON'T "decorate" their mass transit with advertising.

And, up until recently, I always considered Disney a classy operation.

• Down Pluto!

None of the above. The forgotten option.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

•   
    • Minion

The way DL did the cars one I was ok with since they gave them a back story and had a special recording for each one. Other than that I don't want to see billboard type skins on the DL ones.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    The way DL did the cars one I was ok with since they gave them a back story and had a special recording for each one. Other than that I don't want to see billboard type skins on the DL ones.
    I agree. The way the did it with Cars was more subtle... I thought the eyes on the monorail was cute. But any more than that and I'd feel I was in some major metro area with the ads in my face, and Disney pushes their stuff enough.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Selfie Expert

As for outright movie poster/advertisement wraps, I'd vote no. I wouldn't like that.

If they could truly "theme" them, like they did with Cars, I wouldn't mind that. I don't know that they could achieve that with many of the films, though.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

For the sake of conversation: if the Cars-themed monorail cars were okay, would it be okay if Kermit and the gang were at the helm of the monorails for the new Muppets movie? If they took on a new color scheme for the Tomorrowland movie or featured scorch marks for Maleficent? Something that isn't just a billboard, but something that sparks conversation and has a story or purpose besides advertising?

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    For the sake of conversation: if the Cars-themed monorail cars were okay, would it be okay if Kermit and the gang were at the helm of the monorails for the new Muppets movie? If they took on a new color scheme for the Tomorrowland movie or featured scorch marks for Maleficent? Something that isn't just a billboard, but something that sparks conversation and has a story or purpose besides advertising?
    Personally, I like these ideas. Not blatant advertisement, and may alter the experience in a postive way. (Love the scorch marks idea, by the way!)

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Iron-Clad Allie

If Disney movie skins are entertainment, then do you consider every metropolitan bus line that sports a Disney (or any other company's advertising) skin as entertainment? Then shouldn't THEY be free too?

While I consider the Monorails entertainment, I DON'T consider advertising entertainment!

In the REAL WORLD, you can argue that mass transit vehicles are JUST objects that allows them to be reduced to marketing tools. But, even there, CLASSY public operations DON'T "decorate" their mass transit with advertising.

And, up until recently, I always considered Disney a classy operation.
    If you're talking about public transportation, of course there's often no private sector advertising - because taxes, fees and government funding pays for most public transportation.

The entertainment value of metro busses and taxis is definitely free. If most commercial advertising wasn't appealing and entertaining, various products would be far less competitive and would have far less quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    None of the above. The forgotten option.
    "The forgotten option."

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    By "ones" you mean monorails? I look forward to seeing the RSR ads, as I haven't been there yet.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-02-2013 at 07:01 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    If your talking about public transportation, of course there's often no private sector advertising - because taxes, fees and government funding pays for most public transportation.
    Oh, some public transportation do have advertising. Everything from ad panels to complete skins. Government is ALWAYS looking for more revenue.

And I said C L A S S Y!​ You might try addressing THAT.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I am voting no on this one as well. I thought the Cars Land ads were alright, because they were able to achieve creating an ad for the new land, but avoiding a straight up billboard like they've done in the past. I give them kudos for that.

Oh, some public transportation do have advertising. Everything from ad panels to complete skins. Government is ALWAYS looking for more revenue.

In some places now, public transit isn't run directly by the government, and only receives some of its funding from the government, and the agencies/organizations responsible for transit have to find creative ways to bridge the gap from what is provided via taxes and fares and what it actually costs to operate the system, hence the need for advertising.

Its unfortunate the government no longer see's transit as a needed resource in many places, and keep reducing the amount of tax money they get, so its either cut service or find alternative ways to raise revenue.

• No Disassemble!

Tomorrowland.

That way guests have a looping reminder of the land that they're supposedly in.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I agree. The way the did it with Cars was more subtle... I thought the eyes on the monorail was cute. But any more than that and I'd feel I was in some major metro area with the ads in my face, and Disney pushes their stuff enough.
    I do not want exact movie poster wraps, nor word ads, skins that include creative pictures from any currently popular new movie would be entertaining and exciting. The Cars skin rocked!

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    As for outright movie poster/advertisement wraps, I'd vote no. I wouldn't like that.

If they could truly "theme" them, like they did with Cars, I wouldn't mind that. I don't know that they could achieve that with many of the films, though.
    Right on! While exact movie posters are great for public or private city transportation such as buses or taxis. the creative use of pictures of any given movie would make the guest experience at DLR more magical.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    All these ideas are very cool. Pics of Kermit and other Muppets would be just as alluring and fun as was Cars. Scorch marks would be hot stuff for advertising Maleficent....although in the wrap I would also include exciting pics of maleficent and other popular characters from that film. Still not sure what the Tomorrowland movie will be about, but a new color scheme for that flick would definitely be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Personally, I like these ideas. Not blatant advertisement, and may alter the experience in a postive way. (Love the scorch marks idea, by the way!)
    Well put! Blatant advertisement posters (or even wording) would be unnecessary, and in many cases an eyesore.

Yep. Public transportation does at times underwrite its expenses with private sector ads. C L A S S Y!​ for Disney monorail wraps does not include movie posters....only pics, colors and imagery. There, I said it - as I completely agree on this point.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I am voting no on this one as well. I thought the Cars Land ads were alright, because they were able to achieve creating an ad for the new land, but avoiding a straight up billboard like they've done in the past. I give them kudos for that.
    I never said that I want full fledged movie poster adds....just creative imagery.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    In some places now, public transit isn't run directly by the government, and only receives some of its funding from the government, and the agencies/organizations responsible for transit have to find creative ways to bridge the gap from what is provided via taxes and fares and what it actually costs to operate the system, hence the need for advertising.

Its unfortunate the government no longer see's transit as a needed resource in many places, and keep reducing the amount of tax money they get, so its either cut service or find alternative ways to raise revenue.
    Alternative ways to raise revenue should be always pursued, regardless of economic conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Tomorrowland.

That way guests have a looping reminder of the land that they're supposedly in.
    Anyway you look at it, a Tomorrowland skin woulf be awesome!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast