View Poll Results: Upcoming Movie Monorail Skins At DLR That Would Rock Your Ride!

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thor: The Dark World

    4 17.39%
  • Muppets Most Wanted

    4 17.39%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

    2 8.70%
  • Tomorrowland

    16 69.57%
  • Planes: Fire and Rescue

    3 13.04%
  • Captain America: the Winter Soldier

    4 17.39%
  • Maleficent and/or Cinderella

    7 30.43%
  • Guardians of the Galazy and/or The Good Dinosaur

    2 8.70%
  • Finding Dory

    8 34.78%
  • Ant-Man

    2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 73
  1. #46

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    376

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    Why are you making so many threads at once?
    He/she is not the first and likely not the last to go on a new topics binge. Quite honestly, it's one of the reasons I don't visit the board here much anymore. Too many completely off the wall worthless (IMO) topics.

    As for the original question, no. Works fine for WDW as it truly is much more of a mode of transportation there. Here it's as much an attraction, if not more, than a mode of transportation.

  2. #47

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    376

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Don't get any classier of a Disneyland experience than when a monorail skin is themed to Tomorrowland, Tomorrowland.
    Really, classy? Bizarre standards of classiness if you ask me. How does a monorail skin themed to a land i.e. tomorrowland work as it rolls through Fantasyland or by BVS? Meh.

  3. #48

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,336

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    He/she is not the first and likely not the last to go on a new topics binge. Quite honestly, it's one of the reasons I don't visit the board here much anymore. Too many completely off the wall worthless (IMO) topics.

    As for the original question, no. Works fine for WDW as it truly is much more of a mode of transportation there. Here it's as much an attraction, if not more, than a mode of transportation.
    How does the Monorail itself pass the "consistency of theme" test passing thru different themed settings in the resort? Tell m, is the theme about Tomorowland's future? As it passes behind the Mad T Party and what is heavily rumored to be the Monstopolis, is it themed to Alice In Wonderland or Monsters, Inc.? Or is it themed to Downtown Disney. or the rainforest (as its DD station is right next to the Rainforest Café. What Disney Imagineers create and Disney purists want seem to never match up.

    At WDW, many of those in Orlsndo do primarily consider the monorail a mode of transportation. but, no one can rule out its entertainment value as well, And it does travel thru different settings, including the heavily themed EPCOT theme park. Yet, I never have heard anybody there criticizing it's movie wraps for not fitting a theme.

    I'm just one of many Disney enthusiasts that appreciate and love bring entertained. even though the theming never is perfect. Disney creates theming that is more perfect than any other entity on Earth, but I don't think they think it is ever possible (not even desirable) to achieve complete perfection.

    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Really, classy? Bizarre standards of classiness if you ask me. How does a monorail skin themed to a land i.e. tomorrowland work as it rolls through Fantasyland or by BVS? Meh.
    Please refer to the above.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  4. #49

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,535

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm just one of many Disney enthusiasts that appreciate and love bring entertained. even though the theming never is perfect. Disney creates theming that is more perfect than any other entity on Earth, but I don't think they think it is ever possible (not even desirable) to achieve complete perfection.
    Yes, Disney fans appreciate being entertained. However, MOST would NOT consider advertising as entertainment (outside of the annual Superbowl commercials).

    Yes, Disney creates designs and theming that has rarely been matched. But for them to screw it up with any skins that destroy the original design is counter to their intent. It's totally a MARKETING strategy that usually goes counter to what Disney has historically been based on and often ruins potentially good ideas.

  5. #50

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,911
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Everything about the Disneyland Resort is far more immersive than any six Flags park and it's thrown about unadorned piles of metal it calls rides. Themed monorail wraps would add to that immersive, entertaining experience for what I would consider the vast majority of guests. If you do not like the wraps (and I am not talking about movie posters), this is your own prerogative.
    Painting a superhero on a roller coaster changes it how?
    Painting a superhero on a monorail changes it how?
    A monorail wrap is exactly what Six Flags does. You can claim there is something "magical" about Disney doing it, but that is fluff. There is no immersion in a wrap. It is a picture, a reminder, not an experience one can enter.

  6. #51

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,336

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Yes, Disney fans appreciate being entertained. However, MOST would NOT consider advertising as entertainment (outside of the annual Superbowl commercials).

    Yes, Disney creates designs and theming that has rarely been matched. But for them to screw it up with any skins that destroy the original design is counter to their intent. It's totally a MARKETING strategy that usually goes counter to what Disney has historically been based on and often ruins potentially good ideas.
    Skins do not destroy the original exterior look of a monorail any more than a costume destroys the original exterior look of a person. The reason that Disney has added several different themed skins to monorails at WDW (plus one at SLR) is because people have already been entertained by them. It would be ridiculous to assume that folks simply refer to monorail wraps in order to read the advertisements like they would in a newspaper.

    Disney will continue to do the wraps and anything else that it desires to entertain people with regardless of anything at the park that anybody else wishes to remain unchanged at all times.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  7. #52

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,911
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Skins do not destroy the original exterior look of a monorail any more than a costume destroys the original exterior look of a person. The reason that Disney has added several different themed skins to monorails at WDW (plus one at SLR) is because people have already been entertained by them. It would be ridiculous to assume that folks simply refer to monorail wraps in order to read the advertisements like they would in a newspaper.

    Disney will continue to do the wraps and anything else that it desires to entertain people with regardless of anything at the park that anybody else wishes to remain unchanged at all times.
    A successful costume most certainly changes the look of a person. Could you recognize the Mickey you met out of her costume?

    The reason Walt Disney World is wrapping monorails has absolutely nothing to do with entertainment. The studio is PAYiNG to have wraps placed on the monorails as well as paying for a new coat of paint when the wrap is removed. The wraps at Walt Disney World are all about efficiency taking priority over show. They're an easy way to make money, nothing more.

  8. #53

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,336

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Painting a superhero on a roller coaster changes it how?
    Painting a superhero on a monorail changes it how?
    A monorail wrap is exactly what Six Flags does. You can claim there is something "magical" about Disney doing it, but that is fluff. There is no immersion in a wrap. It is a picture, a reminder, not an experience one can enter.
    Out of all the parks that Six Flags owns, there is not a single monorail to be found at one of them. So, how can a monorail wrap be exactly what Six Flags does? That company cannot even afford a state of the art monorail, and it doesn't produce movies because it doesn't know how to create synergized entertainment anywhere close to the same level as Disney. It hides it's cheap off the end cap shelf parks as far away from Disney, Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Las Vegas, and anyplace or anywhere else that offers quality family entertainment on any order.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-02-2013 at 11:33 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  9. #54

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,911
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Out of all the parks that Six Flags owns, there is not a single monorail to be found at one of them. So, how can a monorail wrap be exactly what Six Flags does? That company cannot even afford a state of the art monorail, and it doesn't produce movies because it doesn't know how to create synergized entertainment anywhere close to the same level as Disney. It hides it's cheap off the end cap shelf parks as far away from Disney, Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Las Vegas, and anyplace or anywhere else that offers quality family entertainment on any order.
    Because wrapping a monorail does not somehow make it different or special. Six Flags essentially wraps roller coasters. Cities wrap buses. It is all the same, an object is being covered imagery. It does not matter where the imagery originates or the quality of the product being wrapped. It is an issue of technique. It's like saying wrapped buses in San Francisco are immersive and superior to wrapped buses in Topeka because San Francisco is a nicer city.

  10. #55

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    45

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    You didn't provide an option for "No movie skins at all, leave the Monorails as they are."

    I dislike the movie skins on the monorails.

  11. #56

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    45

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Skins do not destroy the original exterior look of a monorail any more than a costume destroys the original exterior look of a person. The reason that Disney has added several different themed skins to monorails at WDW (plus one at SLR) is because people have already been entertained by them. It would be ridiculous to assume that folks simply refer to monorail wraps in order to read the advertisements like they would in a newspaper.

    Disney will continue to do the wraps and anything else that it desires to entertain people with regardless of anything at the park that anybody else wishes to remain unchanged at all times.
    The monorail already has its own costume, and wrapping it in movie skins is the same as putting early 70s disco clothing on the characters on Main Street or Beuna Vista Street.

    And the only reason Disney has used the skins at all is to make money: it is not about entertainment.

  12. #57

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,535

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Skins do not destroy the original exterior look of a monorail any more than a costume destroys the original exterior look of a person. The reason that Disney has added several different themed skins to monorails at WDW (plus one at SLR) is because people have already been entertained by them. It would be ridiculous to assume that folks simply refer to monorail wraps in order to read the advertisements like they would in a newspaper.

    Disney will continue to do the wraps and anything else that it desires to entertain people with regardless of anything at the park that anybody else wishes to remain unchanged at all times.
    Disney adds the wraps for one purpose only - AS AN ADVERTISEMENT! For MARKETING PURPOSES. If not, they would not go to the expense of covering up an expensive paint job.

  13. #58

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,535

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Out of all the parks that Six Flags owns, there is not a single monorail to be found at one of them. So, how can a monorail wrap be exactly what Six Flags does? That company cannot even afford a state of the art monorail, and it doesn't produce movies because it doesn't know how to create synergized entertainment anywhere close to the same level as Disney. It hides it's cheap off the end cap shelf parks as far away from Disney, Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Las Vegas, and anyplace or anywhere else that offers quality family entertainment on any order.
    So, you think that all the advertising wraps that Las Vegas plasters over THEIR monorails during CES, or any other convention they have there, is for entertainment purposes?

    Don't get all hung up on "exactly". The method of applying the wrap to Six Flags' vehicles most likely IS exactly the same way they are applied to Disney Monorails.

    And don't think that synergy is as cleaver as you think. Synergy is the lazy man's (real world's term for marketing efficiency) way of making money from one property off of another.

  14. #59

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,336

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    A successful costume most certainly changes the look of a person. Could you recognize the Mickey you met out of her costume?

    The reason Walt Disney World is wrapping monorails has absolutely nothing to do with entertainment. The studio is PAYiNG to have wraps placed on the monorails as well as paying for a new coat of paint when the wrap is removed. The wraps at Walt Disney World are all about efficiency taking priority over show. They're an easy way to make money, nothing more.
    The wraps at WDW are about efficiency and show, just like everything else - right down to the cast members themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Because wrapping a monorail does not somehow make it different or special. Six Flags essentially wraps roller coasters. Cities wrap buses. It is all the same, an object is being covered imagery. It does not matter where the imagery originates or the quality of the product being wrapped. It is an issue of technique. It's like saying wrapped buses in San Francisco are immersive and superior to wrapped buses in Topeka because San Francisco is a nicer city.
    Six Flags paints its coasters, and in no way can that be construed to be a wrap.

    Quote Originally Posted by badger hollow View Post
    You didn't provide an option for "No movie skins at all, leave the Monorails as they are."

    I dislike the movie skins on the monorails.
    There never has been required uniformity for thread polls. You're free to express your viewpoints, and I'm glad that you do as there wouldn't be much conversational discourse without them.

    Quote Originally Posted by badger hollow View Post
    The monorail already has its own costume, and wrapping it in movie skins is the same as putting early 70s disco clothing on the characters on Main Street or Buena Vista Street..
    Skin wraps are entertaining in the same sense as overlays at Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain and Small World.

    Quote Originally Posted by badger hollow View Post
    And the only reason Disney has used the skins at all is to make money: it is not about entertainment.
    Disney ultimately makes money from everything it foes at the parks. It makes money entertaining guests with themed monorail wraps. There's certainly nothing wrong with being a successful company as well as a successful job creator, and a company that has launched the careers of talents ranging from Tony Baxter to Steve Martin.

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Disney adds the wraps for one purpose only - AS AN ADVERTISEMENT! For MARKETING PURPOSES. If not, they would not go to the expense of covering up an expensive paint job.
    NO, IT IS NOT. Seems like Disney is turning enough profit these days to keep the entire resort freshly painted. That's a far cry from what it used to be under Pressler, Rasulo and Eisner....and that's a wrap!

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    So, you think that all the advertising wraps that Las Vegas plasters over THEIR monorails during CES, or any other convention they have there, is for entertainment purposes?.
    Yep. Viva Las Vegas!

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Don't get all hung up on "exactly". The method of applying the wrap to Six Flags' vehicles most likely IS exactly the same way they are applied to Disney Monorails..
    Exactly what vehicles at Six Flags are you referring to as having wrapped skins?


    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    And don't think that synergy is as cleaver as you think. Synergy is the lazy man's (real world's term for marketing efficiency) way of making money from one property off of another.
    Synergy is a tool - a creative tool not unlike a physical set of pliers. Synergy itself is no more clever than the aforementioned set of pliers. It's how you use the tool that is constructive and clever. There's nothing lazy about using tools in a productive fashion. It would be silly to hire a plumber that is equipped only with his hands, and no experience on to of that.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  15. #60

    • Parking Lot > DCA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    3,857

    Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Disney adds the wraps for one purpose only - AS AN ADVERTISEMENT! For MARKETING PURPOSES. If not, they would not go to the expense of covering up an expensive paint job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    NO, IT IS NOT. Seems like Disney is turning enough profit these days to keep the entire resort freshly painted. That's a far cry from what it used to be under Pressler, Rasulo and Eisner....and that's a wrap!
    Ride Warrior, are you saying the wraps on the Monorails aren't advertisements?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] What Classic Disney Movie should get a ride at Disneyland?
    By DisneyDreams714 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 03:00 PM
  2. 11/19/07 - Inferno added to Disney Movie rewards
    By shadowypirate in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-09-2007, 06:01 PM
  3. Favorite Disney Movie Quotes
    By DivaPrincess in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 08:30 AM
  4. DIsney Movie Patches?
    By Alchimedes in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 12:52 AM
  5. What was your first Disney movie???
    By Oswald in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 01:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •