View Poll Results: Upcoming Movie Monorail Skins At DLR That Would Rock Your Ride!

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thor: The Dark World

4 17.39%
  • Muppets Most Wanted

4 17.39%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

2 8.70%
  • Tomorrowland

16 69.57%
  • Planes: Fire and Rescue

3 13.04%
  • Captain America: the Winter Soldier

4 17.39%
  • Maleficent and/or Cinderella

7 30.43%
  • Guardians of the Galazy and/or The Good Dinosaur

2 8.70%
  • Finding Dory

8 34.78%
  • Ant-Man

2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Should Disney Movie Skins Be Periodically Added To Monorails? Which Films?

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Ride Warrior, are you saying the wraps on the Monorails aren't advertisements?
    Why would I deny the obvious, explodingboy? The wraps are creatively entertaining advertisements - and far more subtle than city bus and taxi ads.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The wraps at WDW are about efficiency and show, just like everything else - right down to the cast members themselves.
    Show is supposed to come before efficiency.

Six Flags paints its coasters, and in no way can that be construed to be a wrap.
    There is no significant difference because the effect is the same. A wrap achieves the same end in a more cost effective manner.

Skin wraps are entertaining in the same sense as overlays at Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain and Small World.
    Not at all a close comparison. The overlays to The Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain and "it's a small world" all noticeably change the experience of the attraction itself. No such change is achieved with wrapping a monorail. It remains the same ride as always while impacting the built environment on the outside. Why not hang huge move posters off the side of Space Mountain?

Disney ultimately makes money from everything it foes at the parks. It makes money entertaining guests with themed monorail wraps. There's certainly nothing wrong with being a successful company as well as a successful job creator, and a company that has launched the careers of talents ranging from Tony Baxter to Steve Martin.
    None of the money being made on the wraps comes from them being entertaining. It is advertising money paid by the Studio.

NO, IT IS NOT. Seems like Disney is turning enough profit these days to keep the entire resort freshly painted. That's a far cry from what it used to be under Pressler, Rasulo and Eisner....and that's a wrap!
    Have you been to Walt Disney World lately? You can shout all you want and deny the reality of the situation, but the wraps at Walt Disney World are just about big advertising spaces and a chance for the Transportation Department to make some easy money.

Exactly what vehicles at Six Flags are you referring to as having wrapped skins?
    While they have pulled them back, almost every Six Flags started wrapping coaster trains in advertisements a few years back. But again, the lack of actual wraps is a silly triviality.

I think if it is a integrated tie in vs billboard it is ok. My kids LOVED the Cars 2 skins, and the alternate voices and personalities. My 6 year old made me pull her around the back yard in a wagon while she pretended to be "Mona the Monorail" giving a tour of Disneyland! Priceless! I didn't think I would like them, but they were done very nicely. Something like Planes, or Tron, where they could be an integrated experience is fine, but simply wrapping in a moving billboard kind of way, Nah.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Show is supposed to come before efficiency.
    That's an arbitrary assertion, I believe that Disney has proven itself to be pretty much balanced and equal in terms of the delivery of both dhow and efficiency.

There is no significant difference because the effect is the same. A wrap achieves the same end in a more cost effective manner..
    If a Six Flags coaster paint is a coating (perhaps more than one coating) and not a wrap around. If coats of paint on a theme park ride were considered a wrap, then the monorails paint would be considered a coat. We are getting into semantics here. in no way does your notion logically support that coats of paint on a rollercoaster as the same as a monorail wrap. It clearly is not.

Not at all a close comparison. The overlays to The Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain and "it's a small world" all noticeably change the experience of the attraction itself. No such change is achieved with wrapping a monorail. It remains the same ride as always while impacting the built environment on the outside. Why not hang huge move posters off the side of Space Mountain? .
    The thematic additions in overlays and wraps are each coverings in order to project a thematic alteration. So, yes, they each share a direct common purpose in the name of entertainment.

•   
    • Minion

It's hard for me to accept that the way six flags advertises even comes close to the presentation that Disney does. Lets just look at the way the monorail was wrapped for the Carsland opening which I actually liked. They took the time to implement that one with a backstory for each of the monorails and it wasn't intrusive IMO. Six flags has nothing like that to my knowledge. I just don't see many franchises where they could do that though and think the Cars one is an exception which is why I would vote none. But the ones in WdW are in my opinion done rather well too IMO but are a different calibur than the DLR versions.

Speaking of advertisements in the parks one thing I really like in WdW is how they advertise their attractions around the resort. Like the Tower of Terror billboard when you are driving past it it's a 3-d billboard I think that is awesome. I am open to well thought out advertisements.

That's an arbitrary assertion, I believe that Disney has proven itself to be pretty much balanced and equal in terms of the delivery of both dhow and efficiency.
    Disney's rank of important issues is as follows: Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency. Efficiency does NOT come above show because SHOW is more important.

If a Six Flags coaster paint is a coating (perhaps more than one coating) and not a wrap around. If coats of paint on a theme park ride were considered a wrap, then the monorails paint would be considered a coat. We are getting into semantics here. in no way does your notion logically support that coats of paint on a rollercoaster as the same as a monorail wrap. It clearly is not.
    You are getting too entangled in the manner of obscuring the various vehicles with advertising. The issue is they ARE obscuring the vehicles with ADVERTISING. You admitted it by equating the Las Vegas monorail advertising with Disney's Monorail advertising.

Actually, Six Flags applying character graphics on their coasters is more relevant to their level of themeing than Disney's application of marketing graphics on their Monorails.

The thematic additions in overlays and wraps are each coverings in order to project a thematic alteration. So, yes, they each share a direct common purpose in the name of entertainment.
    The overlays' only purpose is advertising. Just because a few people may get a kick out of them does NOT make them an entertainment element. There are some people who probably think that graffiti on busses is entertaining.

• Iron-Clad Allie

None of the money being made on the wraps comes from them being entertaining. It is advertising money paid by the Studio..
    And again, where are your stats that support your conclusion? Do you have an official Walt Disney Company report?

While they have pulled them back, almost every Six Flags started wrapping coaster trains in advertisements a few years back. But again, the lack of actual wraps is a silly triviality.
    The lack of actual wraps at Six flags is only a "silly triviality" only if you are grasping at straws in order to find support for your claims.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    It's hard for me to accept that the way six flags advertises even comes close to the presentation that Disney does. Lets just look at the way the monorail was wrapped for the Carsland opening which I actually liked. They took the time to implement that one with a backstory for each of the monorails and it wasn't intrusive IMO. Six flags has nothing like that to my knowledge. I just don't see many franchises where they could do that though and think the Cars one is an exception which is why I would vote none. But the ones in WdW are in my opinion done rather well too IMO but are a different calibur than the DLR versions.

Speaking of advertisements in the parks one thing I really like in WdW is how they advertise their attractions around the resort. Like the Tower of Terror billboard when you are driving past it it's a 3-d billboard I think that is awesome. I am open to well thought out advertisements.
    I believe there is good reason that Disney will compete with itself regarding the highly successful Carsland opening wrap and henceforth continue to deliver significant well thought out wrap advertisements that are just as entertaining if not more so.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-03-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Skin wraps are entertaining in the same sense as overlays at Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain and Small World.
    No, they are not.

Disney ultimately makes money from everything it foes at the parks. It makes money entertaining guests with themed monorail wraps. There's certainly nothing wrong with being a successful company as well as a successful job creator, and a company that has launched the careers of talents ranging from Tony Baxter to Steve Martin.
    That should be "It makes money - with themed monorail wraps". There in NO financial gain for the company from the guests other than from the advertising.

Your points about job creator and career launcher make absolutely NO sense in the topic.

NO, IT IS NOT. Seems like Disney is turning enough profit these days to keep the entire resort freshly painted. That's a far cry from what it used to be under Pressler, Rasulo and Eisner....and that's a wrap!
    Another out of context point. None of that has ANYTHING to do with Disney wrapping their Monorails AS AN ADVERTISEMENT! For MARKETING PURPOSES.

Yep. Viva Las Vegas!
    Las Vegas' monorails advertisements are the same as Disney's? Then you agree that they ARE advertisements?

Synergy is a tool - a creative tool not unlike a physical set of pliers. Synergy itself is no more clever than the aforementioned set of pliers. It's how you use the tool that is constructive and clever. There's nothing lazy about using tools in a productive fashion. It would be silly to hire a plumber that is equipped only with his hands, and no experience on to of that.
    I think you have run out of viable metaphors.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Have you been to Walt Disney World lately? You can shout all you want and deny the reality of the situation, but the wraps at Walt Disney World are just about big advertising spaces and a chance for the Transportation Department to make some easy money..
    The dad (dragondad) and his kids in the quote below were thoroughly entertained by the DLR Cars2 skins. When they got home, his 6 year old had him pull her about in her wagon which she named "Mona the Monorail". Pretty cute. huh?! The kid was so entertained that she was inspired to do some creativity of her own!

Trying to look at the world though the eyes of a child is more important than thinking too much of it is all about easy money.

Quote Originally Posted by dragondad View Post
    I think if it is a integrated tie in vs billboard it is ok. My kids LOVED the Cars 2 skins, and the alternate voices and personalities. My 6 year old made me pull her around the back yard in a wagon while she pretended to be "Mona the Monorail" giving a tour of Disneyland! Priceless! I didn't think I would like them, but they were done very nicely. Something like Planes, or Tron, where they could be an integrated experience is fine, but simply wrapping in a moving billboard kind of way, Nah.
    The story of your integrated experience with the Cars wrap is very inspiring, and your little daughter's love of the more characterized and entertaining monorail is wonderful and warm! Thank you so much dragondad. You just made my day!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-03-2013 at 12:46 PM.

• Minion

And again, where are your stats that support your conclusion? Do you have an official Walt Disney Company report?
    There IS an official Walt Disney Disney Company report - we get it every year. Marketing and advertising financial numbers are in a TOTALLY different budget than Parks & Resorts.

Since you are asking for stats to support conclusions, WHERE ARE YOURS?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    There IS an official Walt Disney Disney Company report - we get it every year. Marketing and advertising financial numbers are in a TOTALLY different budget than Parks & Resorts.

Since you are asking for stats to support conclusions, WHERE ARE YOURS?
    It only stands to reason that Disney company stats are not going to show the skins are a poor investment. They have likely heard all kinds of positive reports, just like the dad and daughter in the post before yours.

It only stands to reason that Disney company stats are not going to show the skins are a poor investment. They have likely heard all kinds of positive reports, just like the dad and daughter in the post before yours.
    Right. If they aren't a good investment, they certainly won't be promoting the fact. Advertising is one of those nebulous areas that they can't directly quantify. But they DO spend the money there, even if they only THINK it will be a benefit.

Just like anything else the company does, there will be some who like the idea and others who don't. However, in this case, it appears that a good majority are against the program in spite of the few warm-and-fuzzy responses.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345