Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• D'land Visitor since '57

Arriving in Disneyland, with stops at Soda Fountain, Carolwood, & Merry-go-Round

On the third Sunday in August my wife Kathy and I made our way down to Disneyland. But this trip report is more about the stops along the way before we actually arrived at the Happiest Place on Earth. Let's get started ...

It was very early in the morning when we left Northern California. As we crested the Pacheco Pass and headed down towards I-5 we were greeted by a fabulous sunrise.
    Name:  Carolwood 001.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  120.2 KB

After an uneventful drive we arrived at our first stop, The Disney Soda Fountain in Hollywood. Kathy had heard about this place years before, but in all our prior excursions to Disneyland we never took the time to actually stop and check it out.
    Name:  Carolwood 002.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  243.5 KB

Mickey was there to greet us!
    Name:  Carolwood 003.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  210.6 KB

After the drive this was a wonderful way to enjoy breakfast. Or lunch. Or both.
    Of course, we had to try the Mickey waffle. Mmmmm-I-C-K-E-Y!
    Name:  Carolwood 004.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  109.5 KB

The sundae looked (almost) too good to eat. It even had a hidden Mickey! (All right, maybe not so hidden ...)
    Name:  Carolwood 004a.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  100.2 KB

After our brunch we headed over to Walt's Barn at Griffith Park. It was a short drive from Hollywood and was the real reason that we chose this day for our trip. The Barn, which houses memorabilia from Walt's home railroad, the Carolwood Pacific, is only open to the public one day a month -- on the third Sunday!
    Name:  Carolwood 005.jpg
Size:  233.7 KB

The plaque outside the Barn reads:
    Name:  Carolwood 005a.jpg
Size:  163.2 KB

Also on display is the combine car from the original Retlaw1 train which circled Disneyland on its opening day in 1955. I had a grand time discussing this car with the docent, and I knew almost as much of its storied journey back to the Disney family as he did!
    Name:  Carolwood 006.jpg
Size:  163.0 KB

Oh, how I wish that I could have climbed those stairs and walked in through those doors. But who knows? Maybe on my first visit to the Park in 1957 I might have done that very thing? I rode the train so often when I visited that it is very likely I've ridden in this car before.
    Name:  Carolwood 007.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  116.9 KB

Inside the barn itself there is a wide variety of objects on display, including this car from his Carolwood Pacific train. While I might have ridden once on the combine, I know that I've never been a passenger on this car! Oh, what fun that must have been!
    Name:  Carolwood 009.jpg
Size:  202.6 KB

Here is the control board from Walt's railroad operation. I love the name "Yensid Valley". However, the source of the tunnel's name eludes me. Does anyone have any idea to what "Rorex" refers?
    Name:  Carolwood 010.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  191.1 KB

In this view you can see a sampling of the many different displays around the Barn.
    Name:  Carolwood 011.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  244.9 KB

I would love to have a lamp just like this one! Hmmm, Christmas is coming soon ...
    Name:  Carolwood 012.jpg
Size:  162.1 KB

Dumbo actually flies over an operating model train. There were a lot of kids this day taking turns running the train, or operating Dumbo. Including me!
    Name:  Carolwood 013.jpg
Size:  105.6 KB

This is a neat poster. I'd love to find one, especially one updated to include the new Mark VII monorail.
    Name:  Carolwood 014.jpg
Size:  153.7 KB

When I was a little boy (OK, maybe I still am?) I had this book! Well, maybe not this particular book, but one just like it. I remember reading it over and over and over, and wanting a railroad in my backyard that I could ride, just like Donald does. Sure wish I still had that book.
    Name:  Carolwood 015.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  126.7 KB

Outside the barn I met Floyd Norman, a Disney Legend who has worked on the animation for several Disney movies, starting with Sleeping Beauty. We talked a lot about his early days with Disney and about the upcoming movie Saving Mr. Banks, on which he served as a consultant. He had high praise for the film and for Tom Hanks' portrayal of Walt. I can't wait to see it!
    Name:  Carolwood 016.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  218.7 KB

After several hours at the Barn we left for one last stop before getting to the Park. We had heard about the Merry-go-Round in Griffith Park and how it had been a favorite of Walt's before Disneyland had ever been built. Since we were already so close we wanted to stop and see it.

We may have been close, but unfortunately my GPS couldn't find it. Following its directions we drove in a big circle around Griffith Park and ended up back at Walt's Barn! Kathy's intuition then took over and we soon found this sign:
    Name:  Carolwood 017.jpg
Size:  151.7 KB

I guess that is still best to heed a woman's intuition ...
    Name:  Carolwood 018.jpg
Size:  227.7 KB

The merry-go-round is a grand, majestic attraction, but unfortunately is in need of major refurbishment. As many of you already know, Disney has donated some money towards the eventual restoration of this ride. I look forward to seeing it returned to its original splendor!
    Name:  Carolwood 019.jpg
Size:  220.9 KB
    And here is a question that has long intrigued me: What is the difference between a merry-go-round and a carousel? Kathy heard that a carousel had only horses, but this equine-only ride is called a merry-go-round. And why is the Disneyland Carrousel spelled with 2 R's? (My spell checker does not like that.)

The organ was in wonderful condition and all the animation seemed to be working, right in time to the music. Early animatronics?
    Name:  Carolwood 020.jpg
Size:  219.6 KB

Finally, late in the afternoon, we arrived at our final destination!
    Name:  Carolwood 021.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  159.9 KB

We were there in time for the Lighting at Radiator Springs (somehow in all of our previous trips our timing had not quite been right).
    Name:  Carolwood 022.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  160.9 KB

A special treat: A Disney CM taking a break from her "duties" to mop the pavement of Route 66 in the form of Mickey Mouse. (ed. note: Kathy informs me that it was Minnie Mouse, not Mickey.)
    Name:  Carolwood 023.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  154.9 KB

Finally, after starting the day with an inspiring sunrise, we ended it with a full Moon over Cadillac Ridge (or whatever it is called).
    Name:  Carolwood 024.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  96.6 KB

It was a very full and fun day, retracing much of Walt's personal history, and ending in perhaps his greatest legacy. I hope that you have enjoyed reliving this journey with us.

Photo credit: All photos by Kathy and Larry Tom, except for a very nice tourist who took our picture with Mickey outside the Soda Fountain.
    Last edited by lctom1; 09-02-2013 at 10:31 AM.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Re: Arriving in Disneyland, with stops at Soda Fountain, Carolwood, & Merry-go-Round

Great trip report! It's really cool that not only did you go to Disneyland but also took a mini Disney side trip! I had no idea there was a Disney Soda Fountain! Where is it exactly?

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Re: Arriving in Disneyland, with stops at Soda Fountain, Carolwood, & Merry-go-Round

Interesting stops you had on the way there.

Out of interest, what was the white stuff ran down the outside of the sundae glass with the sprinkles attached?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Great TR! Loved the photos! I really need to make it up to Walt's Barn one of these days..

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    I had no idea there was a Disney Soda Fountain! Where is it exactly?
    It's located right next to the El Capitan Theater on Hollywood Blvd (hhttp://goo.gl/maps/ec8IH).

YAY!! Absolutely beautiful trip report Larry and Kathy! It was lovely to see the two of you and go on Indiana Jones together - thank you again for those fast passes! Also, that's SO cool that you met Floyd Norman - thank you for sharing all of your wonderful pictures from your adventure! (We would quote "Up" and say "Adventure is out there!"... but you still haven't seen it yet, have you?) - Amy and Kiersten

• formerly very helpful

Great trip report. You truly started at the beginning of Disneyland.

• D'land Visitor since '57

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Interesting stops you had on the way there.

Out of interest, what was the white stuff ran down the outside of the sundae glass with the sprinkles attached?
    That white stuff is actually marshmallow creme. Because it was sticky all the sprinkles stayed in place ... until eaten, that is.

It created quite a nice effect.
    Proud member of Team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Gumball Rally Team Spirit Award.

• Elk Grove Chris

Very cool, thanks for sharing.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• Joe Flowers

Awesome! A great TR and great photos to go along with it.

The timing didn't work out on my last visit to Carolwood, and I was only able to look around from outside the fence. Seeing your photos reminds me that I need to hurry up and plan my next trip back there.

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Great report! I cannot believe I've lived in Hollywood my whole life and have NOT been to the barn or Carousel! They are now officially on my to-do list!

Great trip report - it was very interesting to see the barn. Thank your for sharing with all of us.

• Under that tree again!

Great Disney trip.

Rorex Tunnel refers to either John or Jack, Rorex, who has a window on Main Street. Some construction company is what his name is under. I think he made sets before being put on the Disneyland Project.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh
    Rorex Tunnel refers to either John or Jack, Rorex, who has a window on Main Street. Some construction company is what his name is under. I think he made sets before being put on the Disneyland Project.
    Correct! The window is above the Market House.

Jack Rorex was head of construction for Walt Disney Studios & Buena Vista Studios. In addition to his work with Disneyland, Rorex supervised the construction of sets and stages for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
    Name:  e3fb7d75-75a4-4a99-b3ad-bf90b92fc46c_zps61afb9e3.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  159.6 KB

Nice trip report! I'm sorry we were unable to go with you, but the timing just wasn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by lctom1 View Post
    And here is a question that has long intrigued me: What is the difference between a merry-go-round and a carousel? Kathy heard that a carousel had only horses, but this equine-only ride is called a merry-go-round. And why is the Disneyland Carrousel spelled with 2 R's? (My spell checker does not like that.)
    Per Wikipedia, carousels turn counterclockwise while merry-go-rounds turn clockwise. One guess for the reasoning behind this is so that riders can grab the brass rings with their right hands.
    proud member of Rally team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Team Spirit award

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Correct! The window is above the Market House.

Name:  e3fb7d75-75a4-4a99-b3ad-bf90b92fc46c_zps61afb9e3.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  159.6 KB
    Good to know my memory was working
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast