Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Captain Eo Closing...

We revisited when it reopened... I thought it was out dated and a little silly. Jackson has quite a following and most the comments I heard leaving had to do with admiration for his talents (though heard a lot of comments questioning his being a role model for kids, and, thoughtfully questioned)
    I've been surprised to see it last so long.

I'll still say it's only slightly more campy now that it was the first time I saw it opening year but it's a part of Disneyland history (and theme park 3D/4D history) so I made sure to catch it a few times in my recent trips. And, like it or not, the 80s were "my generation" (though I was more "new wave" than "pop") so there's nostalgia in there too.

Also, I have a soft spot for Yesterland so for those few minutes it's fun to regress. While you're sitting in that theater you can imagine that when it ends and you step outside you'll once again be greeted with the sight of leisurely-crawling PeopleMovers, and Rocket Jets soaring high overhead.

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

I was happy to still see this open when i visited a few days ago.
    I was under the impression it was supposed to close the day before i arrived, but it was a nice surprise to see it open when i strolled through Tomorrowland.

Watched it three times during my four day visit...and enjoyed it as i always have. Had a lively ( but small ) audience at two of the three showings i saw.

• Artistic integrity

I hope Disney thinks real hard before they decide on another 3D film based attraction. As .. not only are 3D film showings common on a daily basis at your local multiplex ... the format is also common for home televisions. And the number of homes with 3D HDTVs will increase as time goes on.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Minion

lets see... Captain Eo never has a line.
    Mupetts never has a line.
    Bugs 3d never has a line yet has a very nice empty queue.

• Sock Puppet

Tourists seem to like these attractions far more than locals. They are very popular at WDW and I imagine will become more popular at DLR as the ratio of tourists to locals continues to change over the next decade. I really hope they don't do anything to ITTBAB unless IT and a Bugsland are eventually taken over by either a CARSLAND OR a Hollywoodland expansion.

• Singing Drinker

The "status quo" for 3D movies has also become more expensive. It's gone from limited theatrical effects (Original EO) to more immersive full theatre effects and wall-breakers in the forms of live actors and in theatre animatronics (Muppets, TTBAB, T2-3D, Shrek, add nausea till browned, serves 150), to the point where there's likely more tech in the theatre than there would have been on a fullscale ride experience back when they first started making them.

The line that used to separate Star Tours from Captain EO is pretty much gone now - you'd need to present nearly that level of ride experience to be taken seriously. Moreso in a market with large hybrid simulator rides like Transformers and Simpsons - not to mention Soarin'.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Disney Philosopher

I think 3D is still viable, but you need really good content.

Went to see Cpt. EO a few weeks ago after a many year hiatus. There were about 10 people in the theatre. There was an obnoxious 20 something girl in there screaming like it was MJ live. Really...
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

Please let it go away. It's incredibly outdated with poor 3D by today's standards. I doubt the vast majority of guests will miss it.

• Kingdom Comedian

I, for one, go to EO at least once every time I'm in the park. Sometimes there's a decent to large crowd, sometimes there isn't.

I will be sad if it's being closed now. But to be fair, I will probably be sad even if it closes far in the future. This was the trifecta of the three things I loved most as a kid A) Michael Jackson B) George Lucas and C) Disney

Then again, I was sad to lose Golden Dreams in DCA...so clearly no one takes their cues from my tastes :P

EDIT: HA! I just noticed my avatar has Captain EO on it. (I don't come on here nearly enough these days )

I am afraid it is true. On January 2nd, 2014, Captain EO will close for good along with the entire Imagination Pavilion in Epcot. I am really sad to see it go, but my Disneyland will still have Captain EO for a good 10 years or more. BREAKING: Imagination Pavilion to Close

• Greetings, Program!

Please get rid of it for good. Never thought Michael Jackson belonged in Disneyland anyway.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEOforever View Post
    I am afraid it is true. On January 2nd, 2014, Captain EO will close for good along with the entire Imagination Pavilion in Epcot. I am really sad to see it go, but my Disneyland will still have Captain EO for a good 10 years or more. BREAKING: Imagination Pavilion to Close
    I think he is talking about the one at Disneyland & not Epcot.

Glad I got to see it but it really has no place in the park anymore.

its sad they wanna close the show...

luv it... everytime we go theres always a bunch of people
    but i get why they wanna close it they milked all they could off of MJ
    so its time for them to move on since his show isnt pulling in a full house every showing
    (stars wars wont either once the hype dies)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast