Parking lot remodel

I am trying to figure out which hotels were demolished when the current parking lot/ California Adventure were built. I would like to know what is in their place now. Are there any old maps or overlays that could be used as a comparison?

• Johnny and Me!

Re: Parking lot remodel

You can try Historic Aerials:

NETR Online Historic Aerials

Search for "1313 Harbor Blvd, Anaheim, CA" in the box.

Off-hand I can think of one. I believe it was called the Tinkerbell Motel. It was about halfway down Katella Blvd. between Harbor Blvd. and S West Street. I'm thinking that it was about where Screamin' sits now.

We stayed there once in the very early 80s.

Donna
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

Thank you both. I am looking for an older hotel called the Hotel Concord. 1987 or 1988 timeframe I think. In my mind it wasn't all that close to Disneyland. I stayed there with the kids, and it would be fun to see what happened to it

• Under that tree again!

When DL was built the parking lot only went about half way to Katella from the gates. Then it spread south. Basically it had a border of hotels, that lines Katella and a few up West Street and some up Harbor. Disney bought these hotels over the years, wrecking some and rebranding some and had partners operate them.

I know the last few to go were a couple north of the Candy Cane Inn on Harbor, and a couple on West St(now called Disneyland Drive that were just of the intersection with Katella.

There were also a couple buildings where the Simba parking lot is now.

A good person to ask is oldhotelguy because he has lots of photos of the Disneyland Hotel, from preconstruction up to now. I'm sure he has plenty of areal photos with that parking lot and those old motels in the background.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

I don't remember any hotels in that area. I only recall one story motels.

we used to stay at the Musketeer Motel on Katella. I think it was near the seldom used Katella gate.

we used to play in the pool on warm nights watching the fireworks.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Why do I picture Clark Griswold circling Anaheim trying to relocate his favorite motel?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

There was a Godfather's restaurant, on West St (now DL Drive) Near what is now known as the Paradise Pier Hotel. (Yes, the Paradise Pier was a fairly recent purchase by Disneyland)

I don't recall the other Non-Disney shops/restaurants, on West Street that were torn down, during the DCA/DTD expansion.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I don't recall the other Non-Disney shops/restaurants, on West Street that were torn down, during the DCA/DTD expansion.
    I think they went away sooner as the parking lot was expanded. The ones on Harbor were razed when the may the new entrance that was across from Disneyland Way.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

That could be, but it was all done with preparation for the eventual expansion. I would like to know what other NON Disney hotels, shops and restaurants wear torn down in the process (other than the ones that were part of the DL Hotel, I recall those: Goofy's Kitchen, Neon Cactus, Monorail Cafe, the Shops and news stand on the 1st floor, of the monorail building, travel services, with the DLH Monorail Station on the 2nd level. Then there was the 3 story building just behind that, several other smaller store and shops on the other side of the Olympic size swimming pool, not to mention several of the DLH own hotel rooms being torn down)

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    When DL was built the parking lot only went about half way to Katella from the gates. Then it spread south. Basically it had a border of hotels, that lines Katella and a few up West Street and some up Harbor. Disney bought these hotels over the years, wrecking some and rebranding some and had partners operate them.

I know the last few to go were a couple north of the Candy Cane Inn on Harbor, and a couple on West St(now called Disneyland Drive that were just of the intersection with Katella.

There were also a couple buildings where the Simba parking lot is now.

A good person to ask is oldhotelguy because he has lots of photos of the Disneyland Hotel, from preconstruction up to now. I'm sure he has plenty of areal photos with that parking lot and those old motels in the background.
    Because the hotel my mom works at was a Best Western up until a few years, I know that the two motels north of Candy Cane Inn were Galactic Motor Inn and Cosmic Age Lodge. I remember them being next to each other with a common pool between them as well as a restaurant with pizza that I didn't like. West St had the Apollo Inn. They may have all been owned by Stovall. You know them as owning Stovall's Inn (the old Inn of Tomorrow) and Stovall's Pavillions (formerly Space Age Lodge). When they widened I-5, they got rid of the Station Inn, which sat next to the Sheraton and bordered by the freeway, Onyx Road, and Ball Rd. It was a 4 story hotel that often saw debris from the fireworks sprinkle the property.