Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Clubs

• Foolish Mortal

Re: Social Clubs

Quote Originally Posted by TanyAnnette View Post

Speaking of attire, on my last visit I saw a guy with a shirt that had a picture of a naked girl from the waist up....with "Mickey Hand" covering her...um...space mountains. I thought it was in horrible taste and wondered how he even thought that was appropriate
    i saw a girl wearing that same shirt there yesterday when we were in line for StoryBook.

• a wind to shake the stars

Have any of you actually seen someone with a biker jacket and tattoos do anything wrong? Do you have any reason to be afraid of people who dress like that other than they just kind of seem frightening? And honestly the audacity that some of you have to say that you are victimized when you see someone wearing clothing that stirs up your own irrational prejudices? For shame. If someone's jacket style makes you feel uncomfortable then you need to ask yourself why that is, not hope that Disney bans any clothing that might stir up any negative emotions whatsoever.

• Singing Drinker

And for the record, Disney still does stop blatantly offensive - swear words and nudity - shirts on the way in. I've had a few friends required to change some of their more offcolor punk shirts in the last year or two.

Pinup style non-nudes? They're "retro" and popular. The fifties style of 'biker' fits with the overall look and a lot of clothing featuring that sort of artwork is straight out of the Sharks vs. Jets look. If you're going to get into a debate over banning that sort of clothing (again, not the items featuring actual nudes or obscenities) you open the can of worms on banning clothing offensive to anyone - pinups to those not wanting anything remotely sexualized, religious to those not wanting proselytizing in any form, group shirts those threatened by large organized gangs of tourists etc.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• a wind to shake the stars

I'm fine with them banning nudity and curse words, if the park was rated it would be somewhere between G and PG and it makes sense to maintain that type of atmosphere, but that doesn't apply to any of the outfits these Social Clubs are wearing. A biker jacket with a picture of Goofy on the back and having tattoos is completely G-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by glenbot View Post
    What's their deal? Main Street elite? Neverlanders? What's the point of these "clubs".

Apparently they're claiming their own "turfs" now and there was a fight in Redd Rockets pizza port over their "turf". Like an actual fist fight.

Do you think Disney takes action eventually?
    I find the idea of this absurd. This is how totally untrue rumors get started. You just say something, anything at all, true or not, and the more it gets repeated, the truer it gets. A fist fight...over turf in Disneyland...by people who love Disneyland so much they formed a group for it. Ludicrous.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

i like the idea of these social clubs, i think they're pretty cool! however when my husband and i went up to a small group of them (won't say the name...) but they were rude. We just were asking what they were about, and how can we join and complement them on how cool those patches are!! and they were rude, didn't care to talk then brushed us off one female member eventually said "Ok BYE!" as i was talking. How rude. relax, your a disneyland social club.. lol. We wear vest, we have tattoos, we grease our hair... why so rude to us? anyways we're thinking of making our own group without all the "im tough" bad *** and just be more.. fun! We are at Disneyland!! and we love the mouse! so lets have some fun!

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Rockaxtina View Post
    i like the idea of these social clubs, i think they're pretty cool! however when my husband and i went up to a small group of them (won't say the name...) but they were rude. We just were asking what they were about, and how can we join and complement them on how cool those patches are!! and they were rude, didn't care to talk then brushed us off one female member eventually said "Ok BYE!" as i was talking. How rude. relax, your a disneyland social club.. lol. We wear vest, we have tattoos, we grease our hair... why so rude to us? anyways we're thinking of making our own group without all the "im tough" bad *** and just be more.. fun! We are at Disneyland!! and we love the mouse! so lets have some fun!
    While I wasn't there to witness the interaction, these WERE very likely Disneyland Guests who had paid admission and were there under the same conditions everyone else was. They were/are under no obligation to talk to anyone, and their personal tolerance for answering questions is likely to be based on how well their day is going.

FWIW, I would likely have not bothered to even address the initial question. I don't talk to strangers in person if I can at all avoid it.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    While I wasn't there to witness the interaction, these WERE very likely Disneyland Guests who had paid admission and were there under the same conditions everyone else was. They were/are under no obligation to talk to anyone, and their personal tolerance for answering questions is likely to be based on how well their day is going.

FWIW, I would likely have not bothered to even address the initial question. I don't talk to strangers in person if I can at all avoid it.
    True, all true, and I hate talking to strangers too - but on the other hand, in a case like this, it gives the person a chance to be an ambassador for their group and leave another guest with a good impression. I'm not saying anyone has to spend their day talking with their new BFFs or something, just that answering brief questions with a smile can go a long way.

Why? Maybe you're the one person from that group that the guest is going to interact with on a personal level, and however you behave is going to be what they remember and influence how they feel about the group as a whole.

On Bats Day I usually get a lot of people who very tentatively approach me and ask me what's going on, and why all the goths are there. I try to make a point of answering their questions with a smile, and letting them know that anyone is welcome to join Bats Day. It usually happens when I'm waiting in line for something (so they're not taking up time; I'm going to be in the line anyway). I figure that if I'm pleasant, they will go away with the idea that goths are friendly/not scary/normal and have a good impression, rather than thinking "I tried to talk to one of those people in black and man they were RUDE..." and having a negative impression of Bats Day. I think the same could hold true with interactions with the social clubs - guests remember their interactions and one wants those to be positive.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-02-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    True, all true, and I hate talking to strangers too - but on the other hand, in a case like this, it gives the person a chance to be an ambassador for their group and leave another guest with a good impression. I'm not saying anyone has to spend their day talking with their new BFFs or something, just that answering brief questions with a smile can go a long way.

Why? Maybe you're the one person from that group that the guest is going to interact with on a personal level, and however you behave is going to be what they remember and influence how they feel about the group as a whole.

On Bats Day I usually get a lot of people who very tentatively approach me and ask me what's going on, and why all the goths are there. I try to make a point of answering their questions with a smile, and letting them know that anyone is welcome to join Bats Day. It usually happens when I'm waiting in line for something (so they're not taking up time; I'm going to be in the line anyway). I figure that if I'm pleasant, they will go away with the idea that goths are friendly/not scary/normal and have a good impression, rather than thinking "I tried to talk to one of those people in black and man they were RUDE..." and having a negative impression of Bats Day. I think the same could hold true with interactions with the social clubs - guests remember their interactions and one wants those to be positive.
    Completely agree, Malina.

I think this especially holds true if you're wearing something advertising your affiliation with a group. Why advertise that you're part of a group, especially one that is essentially a fan club IN the very place you are a fan of, full of other fans, if you don't want to be approached about it?

When I dress up for Dapper Day, I get lots of questions about it. I'm always happy to explain why I'm dressed the way I am, and hope to encourage others to join in!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

I cant stand when people act like theyre too good like theyre dont stink. Get over yourself all u do is make ur club look bad. Unless u wanna be known as the jerks of disneyland.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 10-07-2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Word filter violation

So, hearing lots of chatter on twitter about the SC's. Appears that some of the concerns a few of us had are coming to fruition, either caused by group or members of the group...which unfortunately give a bad name to all the SC's. Physical threats to "rival" SC members, abuse of CM's, expressions of entitlement...I predict that a) Disney actively tries to shut these down or b) they just fade away sooner than later. In either case, my gut tells me that their lifespan is fairly short.

I love the SC Idea!!! A few of us have been toying with the idea of joining one. They wear a vest big deal, bikers don't own the rights to them. There is so many groups that use vest to show their affiliation including GirlScouts!!! I know several Scout leaders with a 15+ history that wear the very same vests with rocker patchers that shows their neighborhood/troop #. So are they scary bikers too??? Come on please people realize these are rumors caused by people who are unhappy with themselves some people have nothing better to do then cause drama and spread lies about others. It's Called BULLYING!!! This looks and sounds like High School. I know REAL BIKERS they lived two houses down and trust me there is a big difference! BTW they wear leather not denim LOL and certainly not Pink like they PinkLadies SC or Mermaids

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by Bo0bo0kity View Post
    I love the SC Idea!!! A few of us have been toying with the idea of joining one. They wear a vest big deal, bikers don't own the rights to them. There is so many groups that use vest to show their affiliation including GirlScouts!!! I know several Scout leaders with a 15+ history that wear the very same vests with rocker patchers that shows their neighborhood/troop #. So are they scary bikers too??? Come on please people realize these are rumors caused by people who are unhappy with themselves some people have nothing better to do then cause drama and spread lies about others. It's Called BULLYING!!! This looks and sounds like High School. I know REAL BIKERS they lived two houses down and trust me there is a big difference! BTW they wear leather not denim LOL and certainly not Pink like they PinkLadies SC or Mermaids
    I agree (the bolded part).

Oh and I saw a post from these Anti-SC people that was very alarming. They said Everytime they see a SC or Patches they want to punch that person!!! REALLY ?!?! So whose the violent ones?!?! I hope they would never act on that urge or because of those comment get someone to do it!

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast