Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Clubs

• Singing Drinker

Re: Social Clubs

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    Serious question, do you think that some people (that don't understand the clubs) feel intimidated by the motorcycle club inspired jackets?
    *raises hand*

Absolute honesty - my first thought was "weird new CM group", my second thought was "threatening biker gang".

For quite some time I had a fairly negative opinion of them. After a while of having precisely none of my fears confirmed, I honestly just stopped thinking about them. I'm REALLY introverted so it's not like I was about to strike up a conversation.

*shrug*

My loss.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    Serious question, do you think that some people (that don't understand the clubs) feel intimidated by the motorcycle club inspired jackets?
    Yes, absolutely. Especially when you have a bunch of them in a group.

• Annual Passholder

Club 33 -- The ultimate Disneyland social club! They actually have "turf"

•   
    • Custom Shoes Artist

The clubs are just another level of Fandom and seem to have no ill intent other than enjoying the parks.
    I've interacted with a few of them via Instagram, which seems to be the best platform of social media for SC's as the pictures of the groups with the background of Disney parks has attracted a lot of attention. Though I've never met them in person, every conversation I've had via internet has been pleasant and positive.
    I've found some of one of the more popular groups "Code of Conduct"
    1. As a ------------- you will follow and abide by all Park Rules.
    2. As a ------------- you will treat each member with respect. This includes any guest that might join us on behalf of the member.
    3. As a -------------- you will help maintain the park as clean as Walt wanted it. If trash is seen on the ground or in line please just pick up and trash.
    4. As a ------------ you will try when speaking to Cast Members address them by the name on their badge and always be courteous. If a cast member does not provide proper magic, head over to city hall and acknowledge the issue. If cast member goes above and beyond head over to city hall and leave a positive note on their behalf.
    You can only purchase my custom artwork at
    www.danoflorez.storenvy.com

• Disneyland Dreamer

my only problem with them is the 3-4 MSE who took the wheelhouse ride I was aiming to get on the Mark Twain.

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by ItsDanOSucka View Post
    The clubs are just another level of Fandom and seem to have no ill intent other than enjoying the parks.
    I've interacted with a few of them via Instagram

I've encountered a couple of diff SCs @ teh D.
    One time I asked a CM a question - The CM didn't know the answer, the SCs did. This sparked a convo. Between me and them teh Disney geek level was at an 11.

They asked if I wanted to chat some more after the ride. I was flying solo that day.

Genuinely good peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG2 View Post
    Club 33 -- The ultimate Disneyland social club! They actually have "turf"
    +1
    The Mur

Posted by
    moregumboplease
    Serious question, do you think that
    some people (that don't understand the
    clubs) feel intimidated by the
    motorcycle club inspired jackets?

I personally do not see how people can feel intimidated by a group of ppl wearing vests with a picture of a disney character and "disneyland" on it honestly the first time i saw it i thought they sold em in gift shops. We dont have scary names like hells angels its all based around disney stuff whats.scary about that?

I'll be looking for any and all SC members to chat up when we're there in december....

We'll be the loud italian family wearing Chucks!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    There have been Disneyland-based social organizations organizing trips to the park since... oh, how long have MiceChat Sunday meets been going? At the *absolute* minimum time frame? Pretty sure they date back at least to the early days of the DIG.

Yes, there's a potential that things could go awry. But there's the same potential for an organized group of Red Hat ladies, Lion's Club tours, Renfaire Guild Trips, or pretty much any other group you could care to consider.

So far the problems have been with individuals, not groups in and of themselves (with the obvious exception of the mid-eighties street gang issues in Videopolis and other places that have been - very well - dealt with).
    The only way I could see these groups becoming an issue is if there became so many of them, constantly visiting the park is groups large enough to take over particular locations for meals of meets. If there started to develop conflicts when different groups wanted to use the same space at the same time.

Even individual, non-affiliated groups of guests have had conflicts when limited space starts being claimed by one or the other. Happens for parades and shows.

Larger groups take on a collective power that could be abused. And that could be between groups or just between a single group and other guests who are not part of any group.

Not to say that this will ever be any more of an issue than what happens between individuals in the park now.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I have no problem with the Social Clubs. They remind me of what we've been doing here at MiceAge/MiceChat for over 10 years. They meet at the parks with their friends.

The only reason people are concerned about the Social Clubs is because these folks dress (and sometimes act) in a slightly intimidating way. And it's that "Gang" association which has brought them to the attention of Disneyland Security.

If they just dressed like regular guests there would be no cause for concern.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Master Gracey's Music Man

Personally in my honest opinion, the SC's being in the parks and at any sort of Disney function is great. The love Disney and enjoy the park as a group which is always more fun when doing stuff with friends and colleagues. The biker vests are pretty awesome, and I like the personal touches each member I see has for theirs individually. I do consider Mice Chat as a sort of social club just the same as I do my fellow Doombugs. They're good people in good groups having a good time while maintaining good vibes and I'm all for it
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I have no problem with the Social Clubs. They remind me of what we've been doing here at MiceAge/MiceChat for over 10 years. They meet at the parks with their friends.

The only reason people are concerned about the Social Clubs is because these folks dress (and sometimes act) in a slightly intimidating way. And it's that "Gang" association which has brought them to the attention of Disneyland Security.

If they just dressed like regular guests there would be no cause for concern.

Yea, the sleeveless jean-jackets that were posted a while back does make them look similar to a biker gang of sorts

Though, yea I do imagine 'turf wars' being song and dance ala West Side Story lol
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Clearly, the social club pictured made a conscious decision to mimic biker-gang style jackets to display their colors. There were countless other ways to go, but they went with the iconic biker style sleeveless denim, nonetheless. Therefore, they purposefully chose an intimidating look; one that is associated (if not synonymous) with bad/illegal behavior. If they show up to the Parks en masse wearing these things, that doesn't help soften the image, either. If they get hassled, they asked for it.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast