Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

•   
    • Minion

Re: Any news on upcomming "major" changes to GAC program?

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Which all gets back to the issue of "how to deal with abuse" - if everyone's allowed to claim disability, if there is no repercussion for doing so illicitly, and at no point is anyone allowed to verify or even question your claim, why wouldn't you?
    It's a tough question. I'd like to think there's a way to address the abuses/"tour guides with GACs" without hurting those who truly need GAC accommodation to enjoy Disneyland. I think issuing shorter GACs and limiting the number of people who can go along with a GAC holder are both steps in the right direction.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Disney Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    While I am about 99% certain you didn't see this this past weekend, be aware that due to some children's illnesses, children who need them will use a stroller in place of a wheelchair at younger ages. I know a mom with a 5yo, who prefers using a stroller to a wheelchair, and gets the stroller stamp. They are allowed to use the WC access areas with the stroller. They would be allowed to use the Disney parking vans.
    Really? 99% certain. I was there everyday Sat, sun and Mon. and yes I saw it everyday. I am sure that there is on occasion a need to take a stroller bound disabled child aboard, but I haven't witnessed it. If a child or anyone is staying in there chair/stroller it has to be anchored down by a CM. So most of the strollers are empty for that reason, the parents are just to lazy or tired or have too much junk to fold them down.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Isn't that the part that is technically against the law? Maybe its not against the law to tell people its a longer wait when in fact it isn't, but definitely against the law to make disabled folks wait longer than everyone else.
    Not if it's a safety issue (only one handicapped person per vehicle for evac purposes on most rides).
    I HATE that phrase "the CM made" them wait longer then everyone else; there's nothing forcing a disabled person to wait for a particular ride at a particular time, just like there's nothing forcing an able-bodied person to wait in the regular line. Everybody is at Disneyland by choice...

• Disney Philosopher

I agree...everyone there is there by choice. We know what we are getting into by walking in the gate. I don't think there are any CM's that make anyone wait any longer on purpose. They just follow directions.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemsfreckles View Post
    Not if it's a safety issue (only one handicapped person per vehicle for evac purposes on most rides).
    I HATE that phrase "the CM made" them wait longer then everyone else; there's nothing forcing a disabled person to wait for a particular ride at a particular time, just like there's nothing forcing an able-bodied person to wait in the regular line. Everybody is at Disneyland by choice...
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    The reason: one bit of case law that did come up in my search was the man who sued Disney for being on Small World for 40 minutes. He alledged that all abled body people were removed from the ride but he was forced to stay. As far as the ADA is concerned, that is absolutely discrimination and he ended up winning that case.
    Did you read the full case? If it was the one that occurred recently, he didn't "win"; meaning a judge didn't rule against Disney, Disney settled. The reason was that his boat was not stopped at an area where he could be assisted off the ride safely. This left Disney with two options: attempt a risky evacuation or wait until all the boats ahead of him were moved so he could be moved to a safer area to unload. Because the stoppage was due to a ride breakdown and wasn't a fire or anything placing him in imminent danger, the decision was made that the best thing to do for the disabled guest's safety was maneuver the boat into a position where an evacuation could be done in the safest manner possible, for both him and the CM assisting him. That is certainly a very reasonable decision, although I do think that being stuck listing to that song for 40 minutes counts as mental cruelty

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123