Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: Overweight at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I must be extremely lucky or something. I have no problems with it? Actually no one I know personally does even a friend of mine who is 6' 2", I am curious as to what about these new sleds is so painful for people? Is it the bumpiness or the small space? I find row four pretty comfortable actually, as far as space and roughness goes it is fun. It tosses you around a little bit, but it's no Ghost Rider that's for sure.
    For me (and I'm very short, just under 5', and have plenty of room in the sled), it has been a) the lack of padding; b) the odd angle at which one has to sit. By the end of the ride I'm sore from the bumpy ride and cramped up in the hips and knees. I don't even bother with the Matterhorn at all anymore as a result. It's too unpleasant.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• The doctor is in

I've never had any real issues with the vehicle for Winnie the Pooh. I honestly feel more cramped on the Rodger Rabbit ride than I do on Pooh and I am 5'5" and average weight.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

I know is a weight limit on Screamin' but I don't remember what it is.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Matterhorn- yeah, it's the zero padding thing plus the really messed up angle that you sit in the sled. It hurts. Oh, and there's no place to grab to steady myself as I get tossed around. The grab bars on the side of the sled are about midway between my wrist and my elbow, and leaning forward to grab the ones on the back of the sled in front makes that sit-angle thing even worse.

So yeah, Matterhorn is out for me.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Hi. I like to share this experience. I don't know of my weight, but i was around 230 lbs. It was on Christmas day last year, I felt just a tiny Uncomfortable in Autopia and space mountain. In fact, its just the seat belts that makes it not good. I ride on them just fine and able to get out. So no problem. Can't say about Matterhorn. It was before they have new sleds, that was fine too. And toontown ride not so much. I was in a car just myself. I was with two other people. I can't say when i'll visit, but i'm sure that i'll tell my parents i want to go there in winter this time, because of going to Disneyland all summer years, but i am working out to slim down. And my results, i'm form 234 somwhere in July, to 228 today.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMommaApril View Post
    One Piece of advice I would like to offer is, when the ride is a safety belt you snap in place, I like to stand up and pull it all the way out while I am buckling it. Then I sit down and let the slack ease back in.
    yes on this

To the original poster, I'm close to your size at 5'10 and around 400Ibs so I feel I should chime in to offer my advice.

You will be fine. Obviously your shape is a more important factor than actual stats but there are very few attractions you will have to skip.

California Adventure:

I have never rode the kiddie rides in A Bug's Land nor Silly Symphony Swings or Goofy's Fly School so I can't comment but all look like off the shelf stuff anyway you could find at a carnival so no big loss. I have personally done all the rest of the rides and shows in the park with no problem. California Screamin' has an overhead harness but will stop where ever it meets your body. It's extremely forgiving. Pick an odd number row for more leg room. TOT, Soarin' and RSR, just pull out the seat belt all the way and try to latch it before sitting for more ease. TOT is easier to find the red button to latch than than other two I find. On Mater, the seat belt is not retractable and is a simple latch. Try riding in your own tractor. At least the first time. The seat belt is ample but another bigger person, it might not latch for both. Seats at Aladdian, Muppet and Bugs are tight for me, but not so tight as being uncomfortable. If uncomfortable, ask about alternative seating. Aladdin can require multiple stairs if you have to sit higher up.

Disneyland:

I have not ridden Gadget coaster nor the referbed Matterhorn or Tomorrowland Speedway. My only regret is Matterhorn but many people have given up on this ride. Space Mountain is tight. The lap bar only has to go back a little for you to ride. It only goes past my knees and I have never not ridden. It is not the most comfortable but doable for 3 minutes. Avoid the front of each rocket. It looks like it has more room but it doesn't. Bruised my knees terrible one time. Also you may want to ask to use the slow loading rocket on the side since it will give you more time for you to enter the vehicle and test it out without causing the ride to stop.

Haunted Mansion, you will be fine. It seems the bar has to come back further now than it used to but it shouldn't be a problem. When the safety bar comes down on your doombuggie, the CM will be there to watch it lock. Suck in your gut until it locks. At your size, you should not have to do much to get it to lock and if you do have to suck it in, it will be minimal. Once it locks, let it go. Your stomach may be pressed against the bar but it shouldn't be too uncomfortable. It's my favorite ride at Disney and I ride it the most of any ride in the park. The first time, you may want to ride it alone to sit in the middle where you would have more room.

Splash Mountain. Request the back seat. Very wide and roomy back there.

Astro Orbitor. You will probably fit but it's VERY cumbersome to get in and out of. Not worth it. If you want to spin, ride Dumbo.

Finding Nemo. I'm claustrophic so I don't like the ride but I think it's do-able for you. I made it down the stairs. The seats are small but there are no arm rests. Tell the CM you need 2 seats. That way there is no back up of people or miscounting of people to seats. As mentioned, you have the option of alternate seating.

Star Tours and Indy. Like before, pull out seat belt all the way and try to latch before seating. I find Indy pretty forgiving but Star Tours has more narrow seats (or lower arms rests) that make it feel more uncomfortable and harder for me to latch. I can still ride and not so uncomfortable to be a deal breaker but just want to make note. Try to sit on an outside seat on Indy for more room.

Fantasyland and train stations. I find the queues to be very tight at times. Especially the turnstiles. The ride cars themselves not too bad. With the turnstiles, go sideways and on your tippy toes to try to put as much weight over the turnstile as possible. Maybe ask a CM for alternate entry. I make it through the turnstiles but I always dread it. At the train station, especially at Main street, a CM can open a wheelchair gate for you. The only train station turnstile i had problem with is Tomorrowland station where when I entered sideways and lifted up, my cargo shorts got caught and I fell. The train itself is very roomy and highly recommended. Monorail will be no problem either.

Winnie the Pooh and Roger Rabbit have small doors when you get on the ride car but nothing you can't handle. Always sit in your own row/bench on the Fantasyland dark rides and with Pooh and Roger. Dumbo is fine too but probably ride in your own elephant.

Tea Cups. You will probably fit but stomach might be rubbing the center spinning wheel. If you want, give it a try but be prepared to suck in your gut or having it rub the wheel. Its a short ride either way.

Tiki Room, Pirates, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Storybook Canal and Rivers of America ships. No issue at all for you.

Who knows yet what Big Thunder will have in store for us bigger people but used to be no problem at all.

My biggest tip is just have fun and don't worry about your size. If something happens where you don't fit on something, don't sweat it. You're never going to see these people again. Don't let your fear of being judged or failing stop you from having a good time. Good luck and have fun!

• The doctor is in

Goofy's Sky School is a pretty tight fit, Roythe13th. Even for me it's pretty tight. The corner turns are really sharp as well.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

If you are concerned about riding Star Tours, ask for the front row seat closest to the entrance. It's the only seat with an armrest that can swing out during loading/unloading. This will make it easier for a cast member to help you if you're having difficulty.

I just wanted to thank you all so much for your help. It definitely makes me feel better about everything! All I can do is try and if something doesn't work, it doesn't work.

I am also going to Universal Studios... does anyone have any info about the rides there?

When my larger cousins were visiting last year, they decided to start a workout program a few months before the trip. They did a lot of walking to improve their stamina so that they could handle all of the walking involved at Disneyland. If you have a few months before the trip that may be a helpful idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JediPrincess View Post
    When my larger cousins were visiting last year, they decided to start a workout program a few months before the trip. They did a lot of walking to improve their stamina so that they could handle all of the walking involved at Disneyland. If you have a few months before the trip that may be a helpful idea.
    This is a good idea. I'm carrying about 30-40 extra pounds and did a lot of walking prior to my last two trips to increase stamina and it definitely helps!

• Hakuna Matata!

I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with everything. and after reading all these posts I will now try a few rides I have been avoiding because I didn't want the embarrassment of not fitting. Thank You all

Quote Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
    I am also going to Universal Studios... does anyone have any info about the rides there?
    Well, I went to Universal Studios in Orlando last year with a group of friends, and the rides there are a lot less accomodating than Disney's. The coasters with the over the shoulder restraints a friend of mine couldn't fit in because her bust and stomach were too large. Some of the seats for rides can be a bit of a tight fit if you have larger hips/thighs as well. Of course this is for Orlando, I haven't been to Hollywood's Universal Studios for 10+ years so I can't really weigh in on that.

I think I can help you on this one. I am 6'2" 280lbs. So I am significantly taller than you although you are most likely wider. But I am big everywhere, long legs, broad shoulders, big stomach, etc.

You know, the only ride that was borderline for me was the Matterhorn. I was in the back seat, and while I don't have a basis for comparison it looked a lot tighter than the ones in front of me. But who knows. I fit in there, but I'm telling you the major problem with the Matterhorn was height, not width. My knees were kissing the back of the seat in front of me.

Everything else you should be fine with. I found Space Mountain surprisingly roomy to be honest. Everything in Fantasyland is friendly for us big guys. The rest of the attractions are fine. Pirates, Small World, stuff like this is a one size fits all type of ride. Disney is a lot different than your average Six Flags rollercoaster park. I have to admit I've been too big for the odd rollercoaster that for whatever reason was built so that Football player-sized men can't fit on them, but alas.

Disneyland isn't bush league like this. They know there are big people out there and can accomodate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast