Degree needed to be a imagineer?

I am wondering if any one knows a type, or certain degree that Disney looks for in hiring imagineers. My son is very interested in doing that for his job. Of course he is young and things might change , but I thought I would see if there was any information out there. Thanks for the advice .

• Minion

Re: Degree needed to be a imagineer?

Most I know have a degree in mechanical engineering or architectial design, with a few years experience before hiring in.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

There are many types of Imagineers: Artists, model builders, architects, engineers, graphic designers, story writers, etc.

One thing to keep in mind, Disney is looking for the best of the best who have expertise in not only their field of study but a creative artistic side as well.

If you are an engineer who can also draw, you are a much better candidate for Imagineer than artist or engineer alone. ;-)
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

This is an interesting question.

Corporate America has outsourced the task of qualifying job applicants to the colleges and universities of America. Almost every large corporation requires a four year degree for the worthwhile and interesting positions.

But lets think about the activities of the imagineers. Imagineers need to be able to read all kinds of blueprints. They need to be able to produce blueprints, using a computer and they need to be able to clearly communicate with other imagineers in both stylistic terms as well as technical terms. They also need to be able to clearly communicate with contractors who are likely to be doing construction, engineering, machining, electrical, decorating, video production, music composition, research and dozens of other trades and specialties.

The days of building a cool animatronic in your garage and then getting a job offer from Disney because they found out about it are virtually gone.

I would think it would depend on what he wants to do. It could me anyone of a number of engieneering fields, graphic art desgin, animaition, autocad, etc..Why don't you send an email and inquire the types of degrees Disney hires and then see what might transpire. I do not know if they do internships either but might as well inquire on that too while your at it. Hopefully they can at least direct you where to get more info.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    I would think it would depend on what he wants to do. It could me anyone of a number of engieneering fields, graphic art desgin, animaition, autocad, etc..Why don't you send an email and inquire the types of degrees Disney hires and then see what might transpire. I do not know if they do internships either but might as well inquire on that too while your at it. Hopefully they can at least direct you where to get more info.
    Great idea. I will do that. Thanks for all the advice. I will pass it along to my son.

• The doctor is in

I have skimmed over Disney job listings because it is something I am also interested in. I do notice a lot of positions have a degree required area, but not all of them. Like with any artistic, design job your portfolio has a lot to do with things. It never hurts to apply and send resumes out there.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Singing Drinker

Keep in mind as well that Imagineering has definitely changed over the years - a LOT of layoffs have happened and MANY positions have been eliminated entirely and are now contract work, usually to the laid off ex-employees. Your son may find even more joy (and job stability) working in a ride/attraction design firm not owned by Disney. Many of them work with major theme parks and are often staffed with ex-Disney Imagineers.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

A degree can be quite important, but I believe it also depends on who you know and what you have done on your own free time. Check out nwrr.blogspot.com, this guy has the right idea and if he plays his cards right I am sure Imagineering would be interested in him by his models alone.

Keep in mind that job security isn't the best, but don't let that sway you away from a dream job. If you work at Imagineering and get let go, you now have something that is quite special on your resume and should have no problem finding a new job in that related field.

www.mouseexpedtion.net
    Your Ultimate Tour Guide to the Disneyland Resort

• Minion

Tell your son to do the Disney College Program when he's old enough to give him an "in" for professional internships and careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommabear64 View Post
    I am wondering if any one knows a type, or certain degree that Disney looks for in hiring imagineers. My son is very interested in doing that for his job.
    Your son might be interesting in the Entertainment Engineering and Design program at UNLV.
    I would have loved to attend this type of hybrid program, if I could have found one 30 years ago.