Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Storybrook boats monstro whale no longer blinks or blows water out blow hole?

Something i have noticed lately did monstro stop blinking his eyes? I could of swore he used too? Secondly didnt he used to blow water out his blow hole? Whats the deal ?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Storybrook boats monstro whale no longer blinks or blows water out blow hole?

I noticed that, too.

Re: Storybrook boats monstro whale no longer blinks or blows water out blow hole?

i havent been in a few months but last time we went he was blinking.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

oh yea that has been not happening...
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Disneyland History Lover

The effects were working in June. Haven't been there since, though.

• Tokyo Disney Sea Cast

I have never heard of that effect! Does anyone have a video of Monstro blinking?
    Tokyo Disneyland Crew!

Currently working at:: Journey to the Center of the Earth!

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    I have never heard of that effect! Does anyone have a video of Monstro blinking?

This video shows both effects rather nicely:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn2OcDoopQ8
    Last edited by ScottG; 09-08-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

It's decades old - I think they built it in when Storybook Land originally opened. And I haven't seen either the spout or the sweeping and winking eyeball working in several years. Stopped and looked closer a few weeks ago.

Part of the problem might be Show - If they don't have a second Eyeball (fixed or animated) to swap out while they fix the animated one, they can't just stick an eye-patch on the whale...

Part of the problem with the Spouting is they want to avoid maintenance costs, because the spray from the spout discolors the paint on Monstro's head. No spray means no cleaning, no repainting. Budget wins, Show loses.

Though it would be easy enough to filter the water with a Reverse Osmosis and/or steam distillation system before the spouting equipment, that would take active effort and a small investment, and create new maintenance tasks they have to assign to a crew.

Another wrinkle would be getting Maintenance workers inside to fix the problems - both the spout and the eyeball must be a real whale of a time crawling through tight spaces getting to them. Which you'd want to do at two in the morning so you didn't get cooked.

If it's still 1955 in there and they don't have proper permanent lighting or ventilation in the crawl spaces, they'll have a major project adding it from the inside. Lots of flex duct and BX cable...
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

I wonder if they have plans to do any new work in SBL for the 60th anniversary, maybe they are waiting to fix the effects because they have plans to give Monstro a makeover in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Disneyland - Monstro - YouTube

Both of those are pretty nice (the blow could be bigger!). They are totally worth having - anytime you can animate something is a big plus.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I had no idea that it had blowhole effects! Is it just me or does the eye look really far down? I feel like it should be higher up.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Disneyland - Monstro - YouTube
    I could swear he both blinked and also looked side to side, but it's been so long... That part might have been broken already at the time they recorded that clip.
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It wasn't that long ago that I saw his eyes blink, though, so I assume this is recent.

• the rum is always gone

Looks like Monstro has had some cosmetic work since the whale was first placed in the park. Very interesting to compare the original Monstro to the one we have now.

stuff from the park: Monstro a Poolaza

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Part of the problem might be Show - If they don't have a second Eyeball (fixed or animated) to swap out while they fix the animated one, they can't just stick an eye-patch on the whale...
    I don't think they need to take out the 'eye-ball' in order to fix this effect, rather, the hardware that works the eyeball needs to be better maintained, or redesigned and replaced, the eye lid/eye ball joints don't necessarily need to be replaced, but the motor/control system might need to upgraded and regularly maintained (lubrication). The mechanism for Monstro's eye is accessible in a small walkway on this side of the whale, so it can be fixed from the "inside" without removing the eyeball and eyelid.

Part of the problem with the Spouting is they want to avoid maintenance costs, because the spray from the spout discolors the paint on Monstro's head. No spray means no cleaning, no repainting. Budget wins, Show loses.
    Was this what a castmember said? Doesn't make sense as Anaheim gets a regular amount of rain, and there are marine-grade paints which stand-up very well to wet environments. Years ago they slacked on Monstro's paint job/maintenance, if properly maintained, a little bit of water won't matter much.

Though it would be easy enough to filter the water with a Reverse Osmosis and/or steam distillation system before the spouting equipment, that would take active effort and a small investment, and create new maintenance tasks they have to assign to a crew.
    Not sure what this would accomplish. Wouldn't make the paint job easier to maintain.

Another wrinkle would be getting Maintenance workers inside to fix the problems - both the spout and the eyeball must be a real whale of a time crawling through tight spaces getting to them. Which you'd want to do at two in the morning so you didn't get cooked.

If it's still 1955 in there and they don't have proper permanent lighting or ventilation in the crawl spaces, they'll have a major project adding it from the inside. Lots of flex duct and BX cable...
    The spout, has its hardware outside the whale, there is a PEX tube which runs up to the top of the whale, and Monstro's "eye" hardware is accessible via a readily accessible ground-level walkway into the inside of Monstro's right "face" (I guess for lack of a better word) without having to go up into the whale. Monstro's spout is just pressurized water flying out of a modified lawn sprinkler, and it is tap water. No reason for it not to be working, probably somebody forgot to turn it on after maintenance or something . . . outside of the last major refurb, nobody ever crawls up into the inside of the whale.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 09-09-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast