Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: big thunder mt delayed

*Changed tag to "rumor" until more information is released from a reliable source.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Mistress of Evil

Really? You are reporting this based on something A CM said?

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    A tower crane like the one I say last year is heavy, but not heavy enough to cause structural damage to a foundation, unless said foundation was already compromised.

When any type of heavy equipment operates on an existing structure, an engineering study is always done first, just so the structure isn't damaged.

I'd bet this is a rumor with no basis in reality.
    Foundations are designed specifically for the purpose intended. I seriously doubt that the designers of the foundation in that area ever had a specification that called for a tower crane to be placed on the foundation. This sounds believable. Especially because of the long delay.

• Banned User

This will be open next february, this has been confirmed elsewhere within the homepage. close this thread.

• Mistress of Evil

Quote Originally Posted by whydoyoucare View Post
    This will be open next february, this has been confirmed elsewhere within the homepage. close this thread.
    Sorry to dissapoint, but Disney has not announced anything official in regards to this. DLR's official refurb list still shows BTMRR opening 10/31. A Mice Chat thread by a "supposed" CM does not make it an official announcement by any means.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Of course the foundation was cracking! That area is always a bit shifty. Everytime I ride Big thunder is seams there is a earthquake in the last mine!

• Disneyland Dreamer

A SMALL tower crane cracked the entire foundation for BTMRR? Suuuuuure...

• See Ya Real Soon!

Until Disney announces it it is a rumor.

That does not mean it is not true. Rumors have just as much chance of being correct as they do being wrong.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    Foundations are designed specifically for the purpose intended. I seriously doubt that the designers of the foundation in that area ever had a specification that called for a tower crane to be placed on the foundation. This sounds believable. Especially because of the long delay.
    Um, are you suggesting that they didn't use a crane when the ride was first built?

What delay? The entire delay rumor came from a thread here on MiceChat. Someone said the daily CM notes changed the opening date until 2/15/14, which people began spreading as a fact. A few posts later in the same thread had another CM say, the next day, in the daily notes the date was returned to the original. Unfortunately, the fact the original date has been restored (and never actually changed but for one misprint) has been ignored.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Parking Lot > DCA

Hearsay, I say!

• Johnny and Me!

The walkway the crane sat on was repaved after the rumored delay was announced. If the foundation was indeed damaged, it would already be fixed.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    The walkway the crane sat on was repaved after the rumored delay was announced. If the foundation was indeed damaged, it would already be fixed.
    Tower cranes aren't just set on walkways. They excavate a place for a footer, and then place a concrete footer to support the crane. I watched them set up a ton of tower cranes in DT Phoenix when I worked downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by whydoyoucare View Post
    A Disneyland guest services rep called me yesterday to address issues I have been having with my AP. She offered fastpasses to whatever attraction I wanted for our next visit (very nice of her btw, as I wasn't expecting or demanding anything) - I asked if BTMRR was going to be open for our mid-november trip, and she said "it will be opening on Oct 31".... now, obviously, I'm getting this from a cast member, as did the OP regarding the cracked foundation, so take it with a grain of salt... however, she is sending BMTRR fastpasses to me, and the most recent info they have is a halloween opening...just putting that out there.

• Sock Puppet

Hasn't the credibility of this site suffered enough in recent weeks?

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Tower cranes aren't just set on walkways. They excavate a place for a footer, and then place a concrete footer to support the crane. I watched them set up a ton of tower cranes in DT Phoenix when I worked downtown.
    For a refurbishment they would take into account where equipment like a crane could be placed without issue. They can use a variety of different measures (and usually do) to secure the crane - counterweights, sunk ground supports, etc. I'm 99.9% certain that they did that for this build - otherwise the crane would very likely have had a pronounced lean and eventual collapse-and-kill-people tendency. Placing a poured concrete footer *just* for the crane is a little less likely for a rebuild but still within possibility.

While the walkway being repaved is not 100% proof of an undamaged foundation, the trains that have been circulating with clearance checks are almost as close to that as you could ask. A foundation rebuild would have a significant chance of causing damage/shifting to surrounding areas and at the very least would require a massive amount of work to either rip out everything on the foundation or to suspend it above the foundation while it is removed/repaired (seen them do it for houses, not sure how you'd manage it for a rollercoaster). I really just can't see a situation where they'd run clearance checks on ride trains if that level of work were still ahead.

Myth: Busted.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast