Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comparing Motion Sickness factor Disneyland to DisneyWorld

I am an annual visitor to the DLR. The rides that give me problems are Space Mountain, Astro Orbitor, BTMRR (some days), California Screamin, ToT, Zepher. I pretty much ride everything else but rides like Matterhorn will have to be once and then something slower immediately afterwards. Basically I know my limits and pacing at DLR but I have no idea how tackle DW. The motion sickness sign is shown outside of Matterhorn but also outside of Space Mountain - but one is way worse than the other - at least for me. If anyone has been to both places and can gauge the puke factor for me, I'd be very grateful. On a scale of 1-10 - I'd say SM would be a 9 and ToT would be a 10. I also think the length of the ride has lots to do with it. A shorter roller coaster is much more manageable. I don't ride the tea cups because I know it will be bad, but I can do Roger Rabbit with no issues. Anyhow, whatever advice you can give I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

• MaliBOOMer

Re: Comparing Motion Sickness factor Disneyland to DisneyWorld

Space Mountain at Disney World will be closer to Matterhorn than Space Mountain here. I would say Expedition Everest is close to Screamin' just a lot shorter as far as action goes.
    Everything else should be very similar to what it is here.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Cool!! I would like to ride Space Mountain without ruining the rest of my vacation!!

• Minion

I wouldn't try Space Mountain in DW if I were you. It feels slower than the DL counterpart, but it's rougher and has a lot more drops, and a wayyy less predictable layout. Space Mountain in DL is a lot tamer than DW's. Even if you could compare the Matterhorn track layout and the DW Space Mountain layout, it would be irrelevant because the fact that you can see what's happening on the Matterhorn helps a great deal with motion sickness. Being in the dark is disorienting no matter what. If I were you, I wouldn't take my chances. If you're going with someone who knows you well, have them ride it first and have them give you a comparison of DL/WDW's if you really want to try.

As a big motion sickness victim maybe I can help. I go to DLR a few times a year and like you, know exactly what I can and can't ride. The two I NEVER EVER do are ToT and Star Tours. Everything else can be done in moderation but I still get a bit woozy on Space, Screamin' and BTMR. I have found that if I sit in the very front of BTMR I get less motion sick, the further back I sit the worse it is. On the Tea Party I hold the wheel still so the cup doesn't spin, but Roger Rabbit doesn't usually give me problems.
    At WDW I actually found that their version of Space makes me less sick than DL's version! I like it much more because of this! I did ToT there once-never again. Rockin' Roller Coaster didn't really give me any problems (maybe because it's short) and I can ride Everest as long as I can take a short breather after. It's the part that goes backward that gets to me! I would rate DL's Space at a 5 or 6 for me and Everest more like an 8. WDW's Space is more like a 3. ToT and Star Tours are 10s!
    One thing that has helped me a TON is getting some little wrist bands that have pressure points on them for motion sickness. One of the brand names is Sea Bands. You should be able to pick some up at a pharmacy. They usually have them next to the Dramamine.
    Hope that helps! Have fun!

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I wouldn't try Space Mountain in DW if I were you. It feels slower than the DL counterpart, but it's rougher and has a lot more drops, and a wayyy less predictable layout. Space Mountain in DL is a lot tamer than DW's. Even if you could compare the Matterhorn track layout and the DW Space Mountain layout, it would be irrelevant because the fact that you can see what's happening on the Matterhorn helps a great deal with motion sickness. Being in the dark is disorienting no matter what. If I were you, I wouldn't take my chances. If you're going with someone who knows you well, have them ride it first and have them give you a comparison of DL/WDW's if you really want to try.
    Space Mountain at DW is just rough, Space at Disneyland actually has g forces in the turns and is significantly faster.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I've heard from several people that Mission Space at Epcot is one to avoid if you have motion sickness. I've only ever gotten motion sickness from crazy rides like the kind at Six Flags parks or fairs. So I can't comment on my experiences at Disneyland because none of those rides have ever affected me negatively unless I didn't give myself enough time after having a meal.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I've heard from several people that Mission Space at Epcot is one to avoid if you have motion sickness. I've only ever gotten motion sickness from crazy rides like the kind at Six Flags parks or fairs. So I can't comment on my experiences at Disneyland because none of those rides have ever affected me negatively unless I didn't give myself enough time after having a meal.
    Oh yes, Mission Space. You can choose between the Orange Team and Green Team though. The Orange Team is intense (spins very fast to simulate g force of takeoff) and one to avoid if you get motion sickness. The Green Team is a toned down experience (doesn't spin) and wont cause motion sickness.

Oh, I love you guys!! Only people who understand my pain would know how grateful I am to get these tidbits of information and to save myself, and really save my vacation, from getting sick.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Space Mountain at DW is just rough, Space at Disneyland actually has g forces in the turns and is significantly faster.
    The max speed of DL's Space Mountain is (estimated to be) about 5 miles per hour faster--not too significant. And DW's Space packs a lot of force into its turns as well, with a lot more directional changes in general.

For DW, Expedition Everest was rougher on me than I thought it would be, mainly because of the backwards section. Beyond that it's fine. The only other rides that really get me Star Tours and the Teacups though I can feel very minor wooziness after any of the bigger coasters i.e. Screamin', SM, BTMRR, etc. SM and WDW didn't bother me at all other than being more uncomfortable that DL. Coasters didn't bother me too much until a few years ago...sucks getting older.

• Evil is Sexy

I love rollercoaster and motion simulation rides. I am a sufferer of motion-sickness. Car rides can make me sick, sometimes. I've learned that if I pre-prep myself ahead of time I am more likely to be able to ride more of the "iffy" rides. I do take them in staggered amounts. No stacking.

Two days before my trip, I take Dramamine (or promethazine) every 12 hours. I continue to do this all the way through my trip as long as I know I'll be at an amusement park or travelling via car or plane. I also take along candied ginger for emergancies. If I'm really worried about an attraction, I'll chew a little of the ginger before and after. Ginger is a natural motion-sickness remedy. I make my own, but it is a farily common item to find in stores (health food stores, usually.)

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Former Churro Jockey

Another one you must not do is Cyber Space Mountain in Downtown Disney. I don't get motion sickness at all and that one made me feel sick. It's inside DisneyQuest, which is fairly lame, so you probably wouldn't be going there anyway if it's your first visit. Expedition Everest is as smooth as California Screamin, but it does go backwards at one point if that bothers you at all.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Stay away from Mission: Space at Epcot, for sure. From what you've listed even the less intense version of the ride may cause you nausea.

• Blew By You

You and a few others have said it best: know your limit. I certainly know mine, which means no motion simulators, loops, steep drops or upside down ways and means.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast