Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Re: Disneyland or Disney land squatting

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    One even wonders if the offsite hotels on harbor are even underpriced. If Disney packs to capacity for 3-5 times a harbor hotel, then I'd suspect that harbor could jack their rates by 50% and not realize much impact on occupancy.
    You'd be amazed. Unless there's something *big* going on (major convention, Valentine's Day, NYE - that level of "big") it's usually insanely easy to find a room in the area.

It may be a Super 8 or Motel 6 level room, but if you base pricing off occupancy, the offsites are probably a bit *high*. Don't dismiss the allure of Disney property - they might drop the prices to under $20 a night offsite and still have the same issues.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Or people could simply book rooms at one of the 5 diamond resorts in Newport or Laguna for roughly the same price as the GCH.

This is also why the Harbor Blvd hotels don't jack up their rates. The DLR area hotels are not the only hotels near DL, folks. There are many other hotels in OC to choose from, and many whose offerings equal or even exceed the best Disney area hotels at costs that are equal to or even lower than what they charge.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    One thing about the budget hotels at WDW you have to keep in mind and that is that they are ENORMOUS! Each of the four budget hotels holds somewhere around 3000 rooms, which is presumably the only way that a $79/nt hotel room makes financial sense for Disney. A single All-Star Resort is far too big to go anywhere in Anaheim, so I wouldn't expect that we'll ever get a budget hotel like that.
    Where are you seeing all-star rooms for $79/night?

So we'll probably have to wait until next year before Disney even announces that they're going to start building a new hotel (or two), and my guess is that they'll have to add a DVC wing to justify the expense to the Board, so they'll probably go for the deluxe type of hotel with a DVC wing, which means any new hotels will probably be priced like the Grand Californian.
    The question is where would one go? The grand has location going for it, anything else will be further out.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Or people could simply book rooms at one of the 5 diamond resorts in Newport or Laguna for roughly the same price as the GCH.

This is also why the Harbor Blvd hotels don't jack up their rates. The DLR area hotels are not the only hotels near DL, folks. There are many other hotels in OC to choose from, and many whose offerings equal or even exceed the best Disney area hotels at costs that are equal to or even lower than what they charge.
    Walking across the street and driving from miles away aren't exactly apples to oranges.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Walking across the street and driving from miles away aren't exactly apples to oranges.
    This is true. A bit off topic but I find it interesting how people think staying in Huntington or Newport is as if they are staying on the moon, when it arguably takes the same amount of time to get from these cities to inside the DLR as it does using the busses at WDW to get from the hotels to the parks.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    This is true. A bit off topic but I find it interesting how people think staying in Huntington or Newport is as if they are staying on the moon, when it arguably takes the same amount of time to get from these cities to inside the DLR as it does using the busses at WDW to get from the hotels to the parks.
    Unless you're using the personal experience of WDW as a gauge, it likely never once enters the thinking for the trip.

Sorta like most people gloss over the FL offsite hotels, even if they're not using their Disney room for anything other than storage and a bed. Rented car, paying for all the "perks" associated with that and never considering the price difference a location change and a few minutes extra travel involves.

Vacations aren't rational. They disengage the more important cogni... cereb... er...

Mouse good.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by boglurch View Post
    vacations aren't rational. They disengage the more important cogni... Cereb... Er...

Mouse good.

rotflmao

• Former Churro Jockey

Where are you seeing all-star rooms for $79/night?

The question is where would one go? The grand has location going for it, anything else will be further out.
    Actually, that's what I paid for the All Star Movies back in 2004, so it probably is higher now.

As for where they go, that is the big problem. If you imagine the Boardwalk Hotel in WDW, that would probably take up half the length of Harbor Blvd between Ball and Katella. So can Disney come up with that much property in Anaheim around the hotel? The one place I think maybe they might be able to would be north Ball directly across from TDA. There's an old Sheraton there now, but Sheraton just build a brand new (and really nice) hotel on Chapman and Harbor, so they might conceivably be interested in selling that location. Otherwise, the question is, can they build it a little bit away from the park and bus people to and from DL they way that they do in WDW? Will that work in Anaheim, and would people be willing to pay $350/nt or so for a Disney hotel that is not either walking distance or on the monorail route to Disneyland? I personally suspect that they will, as long as their is transportation, but I think that more than anything else is what is holding Disney back from building more hotels.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Disneyland Dreamer

Don't forget that EMH loses its benefit the more people they allow to have it by staying on property.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

In terms of finances, it is very wise of Disney not to massively build out their hotel supply. The limited availability is exactly why they are able to charge so much.

Not sure how you can say water parks have gone out of favor. Almost everybody but Disney has been investing rather heavily in water parks for the last several years.

The Toy Story Parking Lot is still legally slated to one day become a theme park, the parking lot is a "temporary" use.

And the Value Resorts at Walt Disney World are exactly the sort of tacky, poorly decorated motels that Walt so disliked next to his beloved Disneyland.

• Singing Drinker

Don't forget that EMH loses its benefit the more people they allow to have it by staying on property.
    They'd probably just bump it up to only the higher-end packages. "Please note, staying at Disney's Don't You Wish You'd Dropped the Extra 2 Grand Resort does not give you access to Extended Magic, package drop, transport to or from the resort itself or four contiguous walls with a roof. Thank you for sharing the Disney Magic!"

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    In terms of finances, it is very wise of Disney not to massively build out their hotel supply. The limited availability is exactly why they are able to charge so much.

Not sure how you can say water parks have gone out of favor. Almost everybody but Disney has been investing rather heavily in water parks for the last several years.

The Toy Story Parking Lot is still legally slated to one day become a theme park, the parking lot is a "temporary" use.

And the Value Resorts at Walt Disney World are exactly the sort of tacky, poorly decorated motels that Walt so disliked next to his beloved Disneyland.
    IMO it's a reaction to the state of water park 'industry' being in flux. Cedar Fair's been shedding standalone waterparks, a few others apparently have closed of late (not local), and for a while there was a bona-fide water park trend that eventually had to taper off.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    YES. From all the times I've been to WDW, the only positive thing I can see about the value resorts is that they're priced at significantly lower price points than their Moderate and Deluxe counterparts (which I admit I'm glad there's something​ affordable for people like me). The quality is crap and EVERYTHING at these hotels looks and feels cheap, and outdated. Art of Animation would be the lone exception to this.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    IMO it's a reaction to the state of water park 'industry' being in flux. Cedar Fair's been shedding standalone waterparks, a few others apparently have closed of late (not local), and for a while there was a bona-fide water park trend that eventually had to taper off.
    I agree, but I think that what's in flux is that they're getting away from generic waterslides like you have at Raging Waters and Soak City and going toward more highly themed waterslide-rides like they have at Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, and Schlitterbahn (sp?). I would love to see Disney build some kind of water park that combined the best parts of Typhoon Lagoon (Crush Coaster, wave pool, lazy river) and Blizzard Beach (the thrilling water slides), but they'd have to find somewhere with a LOT of open land. Maybe they can build another Aulani style hotel combined with a water park, but it would't be in So Cal.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    YES. From all the times I've been to WDW, the only positive thing I can see about the value resorts is that they're priced at significantly lower price points than their Moderate and Deluxe counterparts (which I admit I'm glad there's something​ affordable for people like me). The quality is crap and EVERYTHING at these hotels looks and feels cheap, and outdated. Art of Animation would be the lone exception to this.
    I don't see the lower price points as a plus. It is very easy to find better off-site accommodations that will still be cheaper after paying to handle your own transportation. Deals can also be had the non-Disney properties on property, the Swan and Dolphin as well as the hotels of Hotel Plaza Boulevard next to Downtown Disney.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast