Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Disneyland Dreamer

Re: Disneyland or Disney land squatting

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    They'd probably just bump it up to only the higher-end packages. "Please note, staying at Disney's Don't You Wish You'd Dropped the Extra 2 Grand Resort does not give you access to Extended Magic, package drop, transport to or from the resort itself or four contiguous walls with a roof. Thank you for sharing the Disney Magic!"

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I don't see the lower price points as a plus. It is very easy to find better off-site accommodations that will still be cheaper after paying to handle your own transportation. Deals can also be had the non-Disney properties on property, the Swan and Dolphin as well as the hotels of Hotel Plaza Boulevard next to Downtown Disney.
    I like the Swan & Dolphin a lot, especially for their great location, used to stay at both spots with my family when I was a kid. But those are priced MUCH higher than the value resorts.
    As far as what I was saying, I was talking strictly in terms of on property DISNEY hotels. I don't have experience with off-site hotels, so I can't speak to those. But I imagine that being able to take a free bus to the parks is better than having to drive and deal with parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I would love to see Disney build some kind of water park that combined the best parts of Typhoon Lagoon (Crush Coaster, wave pool, lazy river) and Blizzard Beach (the thrilling water slides), but they'd have to find somewhere with a LOT of open land. Maybe they can build another Aulani style hotel combined with a water park, but it would't be in So Cal.
    That would be awesome. I'd love to see Disney build an amazing water park in California. If they somehow were able to acquire more land near DLR to make this happen, that would be incredible, though I know that's not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    A hotel that is fully booked is, by definition, not overpriced.
    Economics 101!

• Senior Minion

I agree with most of the previous posters that it's unlikely we'll ever see any Disney owned bargain hotels at the DLR. However, in regard to the other questions, I think there are a lot of good reasons why Disney hasn't rushed forward with building.

First, the most obvious is that they were not going to put any plans into place until they fully understood the impact of the DCA expansion. If that project had failed, DLR may have never expanded much beyond its current footprint. It takes some time to access the information and then determine what they expect the permanent impact will be. Only then can they really decide what they want to do next. Clearly, they've accessed that it's a good investment to put more money into DLR, but they've just begun the process of designing the next steps of expansion.

The second part of it is that they really need to have a better understanding of what they're working with overall. Disney is clearly in the process of buying more land to support more resort expansion. This actually will further slow the planning because they may change plans as new opportunities present themselves. Obviously this process could go on unending and at some point the have to move ahead with the land they have. But I don't think they quite at the point where they need to rush ahead with anything.

The third factor is that the plans for the resort area streetcar project are still in flux, but being finalized soon. I'm sure that Disney is holding off on a lot of the infrastructure improvements for the east side of the resort district until these plans are finalized and the money is in place to complete the project. Until then it doesn't make sense to design the specific details of the Pumbaa area parking structure and future of the drop-off area.

I have no idea if the Anaheim Stadium property might become available to Disney, but that would open up even more possible changes in plans which might also further push off Disney's decisions. To me if that became available it might make a lot more sense to turn the strawberry fields into a hotel complex with a really nice attached shopping and dining area and a parking structure. Maybe something like the world showcase concept in the OP. Then the third gate could be moved to the former stadium property and have a lot more space to work with.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Under that tree again!

1. The Toy Story Lot aka Strawberry Fields is basically under contract to become the next gate. A condition for Disney using the land as parking is that it will be the 3rd gate.

2. Disney needs more parking right away. In a couple months we will probably be back to days when the parking for guest overflows into CM parking and non Disney property and CM parking also overflows into no Disney parking.

Remember if you go during near capacity days you may be parking at Garden Walk or the Convention Center. If you work during those days hopefully your enjoy the bus rides from the Honda Center.

3. Disney can't just build hotels at will. Anaheim must approve them. Anaheim needs overall Anaheim occupancy to be at a target level, then approves more. A problem is Garden Grove approves hotels easier to capture that tax revenue. This keeps Anaheim's room demand low.

4. Disney does have three hotels planned, but this may of changed. All at Garden Walk was supposed to be short term rentals and two hotels. But Disney would let another brand manage them, so they wouldn't truly be Disney hotels. So maybe or not DVC and possibly something like the Swan and Dolphin.

5. A bunch of hotel rooms have been approved north and south of the parks, but nearby. So this will fill Anaheim's demand for a while. One interesting thing is they are all upscale places, not motels, likely because land value is high so high room revenue is required.

6. How can this all not matter? Disney has a big hand in Anaheim so lots of leverage to change things.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    4. Disney does have three hotels planned, but this may of changed. All at Garden Walk was supposed to be short term rentals and two hotels. But Disney would let another brand manage them, so they wouldn't truly be Disney hotels. So maybe or not DVC and possibly something like the Swan and Dolphin.

5. A bunch of hotel rooms have been approved north and south of the parks, but nearby. So this will fill Anaheim's demand for a while. One interesting thing is they are all upscale places, not motels, likely because land value is high so high room revenue is required.
    Where did you hear this? Are these statements a certainty? Do you have a source? I'd love to read more about this!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Where did you hear this? Are these statements a certainty? Do you have a source? I'd love to read more about this!
    He's mostly correct. I'm pretty sure the hotels at Garden Walk were going to be the exact opposite though, owned by other companies and operated by Disney. But yes, that basically was definitely the plan for Garden Walk. There are two open plots of land to the east for the hotels and the parking garage was built to support building the timeshares above. Also, yes, a couple of fairly major hotels have already been approved in the Harbor/Katella area and they are mostly high-end. You can find out more if you search old Orange County Register articles or old threads here on MC.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    He's mostly correct. I'm pretty sure the hotels at Garden Walk were going to be the exact opposite though, owned by other companies and operated by Disney. But yes, that basically was definitely the plan for Garden Walk. There are two open plots of land to the east for the hotels and the parking garage was built to support building the timeshares above. Also, yes, a couple of fairly major hotels have already been approved in the Harbor/Katella area and they are mostly high-end. You can find out more if you search old Orange County Register articles or old threads here on MC.
    I'm sorry, I'm confused... I thought Disney didn't purchase Garden Walk when they had the chance?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm confused... I thought Disney didn't purchase Garden Walk when they had the chance?
    Disney hasn't purchased Garden Walk. We're talking about the original development plan for the property which was to have the mall, two hotels and timeshares eventually built. It is my understanding that different companies own the land for the hotels and the timeshares while the mall itself is still owned by the bank which repossessed that property when it failed to make its payments.

Disney was never supposed to own the hotels at Garden Walk, but they were going to operate them as Disney branded hotels, another company would actually own the land and buildings. The reason for this was that the Anaheim City Council wanted to give other businesses opportunities to own properties in the resort district. I assume that Disney and its partner company could still move forward with this plan if they want to. Remember, this property is owned by another company that was always planning to partner with Disney on this project.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Disney hasn't purchased Garden Walk. We're talking about the original development plan for the property which was to have the mall, two hotels and timeshares eventually built. It is my understanding that different companies own the land for the hotels and the timeshares while the mall itself is still owned by the bank which repossessed that property when it failed to make its payments.

Disney was never supposed to own the hotels at Garden Walk, but they were going to operate them as Disney branded hotels, another company would actually own the land and buildings. The reason for this was that the Anaheim City Council wanted to give other businesses opportunities to own properties in the resort district. I assume that Disney and its partner company could still move forward with this plan if they want to. Remember, this property is owned by another company that was always planning to partner with Disney on this project.
    Ah, great. Thank you for the clarification!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Eventually, the Paradise Pier Hotel should get a makeover with a Victorian facade. Expand the hotel to the south and west, but make it a destination, an extension of the Paradise Pier section of DCA with Victorian themed restaurants, lounges and amenities.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Eventually, the Paradise Pier Hotel should get a makeover with a Victorian facade. Expand the hotel to the south and west, but make it a destination, an extension of the Paradise Pier section of DCA with Victorian themed restaurants, lounges and amenities.
    This would be great. That hotel is too bland and feels kinda cramped.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Well, if we're going to blue-sky it...

Whatever the Third Gate park becomes, it should include an IN-PARK HOTEL. The "front main entrance" would face "out" of the park and the "back main entrance' would face "in" the park. A valid park admission would need to be shown to enter the park from the hotel. Theme the exterior to that of the Third Gate so that it blends nicely. Rig the back entrance doors to be "entrance only" after park hours so that hotel guests can't wander out into the park willy-nilly, but keep a guard on those doors with a master unlock button so that they can be quickly unlocked in case of an emergency like fire, earthquake, or a super-villain invasion on the 4th Floor.

~ Offer in-park balcony rooms for the top 3 floors with some kind of latticework/grillwork to prohibit items dropping on unsuspecting patrons below but still allowing a view of the park.

~ Give all guests of the hotel either Magic Mornings or Enchanted Evenings where they get 30 minutes to themselves in the park.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Whatever the Third Gate park becomes, it should include an IN-PARK HOTEL. The "front main entrance" would face "out" of the park and the "back main entrance' would face "in" the park. A valid park admission would need to be shown to enter the park from the hotel. Theme the exterior to that of the Third Gate so that it blends nicely. Rig the back entrance doors to be "entrance only" after park hours so that hotel guests can't wander out into the park willy-nilly, but keep a guard on those doors with a master unlock button so that they can be quickly unlocked in case of an emergency like fire, earthquake, or a super-villain invasion on the 4th Floor.
    This would be pretty cool. Great idea. Man I hope they get moving on plans for the 3rd gate soon, very exciting.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast