Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland or Disney land squatting

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The design of the Pier itself is Victorian because it was built earlier than when we visit.

The Mictorian thing has been done to death.
    Not in Anaheim; guests still love it; it blends to DCA sight lines; California has a rich history of Victorian architecture, yet no love at DCA or DLR hotels...

• Senior Minion

The problem with trying to retrofit the PP Hotel into Victorian style is that it just wouldn't look right on a building with those proportions. I'd always figured that if they built a small hotel in the current drop-off area east of the esplanade that one would be Victorian. I think giving the PP Hotel either an Art Deco or Art Nouveau feel would be relatively easy, and fit the PP area well. The lines of the basic structure already work and you could just add a new "skin" to the building.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Blog Entries

I'm picturing a hotel and development 3 or 4 times the size - an equivalent to the Disneyland Hotel.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I'm picturing a hotel and development 3 or 4 times the size - an equivalent to the Disneyland Hotel.
    That would be great and probably will happen eventually. But they're still going to keep that building for a long time, so they need to remodel it in a theme and style that fits its basic form. So either they need to do the entire expanded PP Hotel in a style that will also work on the existing tower or build a new hotel. Personally, I'd remodel the PP and build a new hotel to its south with a different style.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    The problem with trying to retrofit the PP Hotel into Victorian style is that it just wouldn't look right on a building with those proportions. I'd always figured that if they built a small hotel in the current drop-off area east of the esplanade that one would be Victorian. I think giving the PP Hotel either an Art Deco or Art Nouveau feel would be relatively easy, and fit the PP area well. The lines of the basic structure already work and you could just add a new "skin" to the building.
    Agreed. And an art deco style hotel would be awesome for DLR. Goes with the style they ripped off from Hollywood Studios for the entrance of DCA.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

We're talking past each other. If the existing hotel doesn't work in any way, I'd demo it.

It was a purchase, not Disney construction, but then so too was the DL Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    To do this, I think you just have to tear Paradise Pier Hotel down entirely. Build a seaside-ish Hotel Del, with waterpark, and a boardwalk over west street with an entrance to PP/DCA.

... if we're blue-skying it.
    The boardwalk over West was the original idea for Paradise Pier. If you're in the hotel, I believe the 3rd floor is still designed to feed onto a walkway over the road. And, if you're in the park, then the entrance would have fed into Paradise Gardens/Goofy Sky School area.

Unfortunately, this idea was halted by Anaheim, which is why guests now have to do this awkward walk from the hotel, up the sidewalk, across the street, up the drive of Grand Californian, through the hotel, and into the park.

Disney's biggest problem in any expansion will be to get the city to play ball.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    Maybe cruise ships are more fun these days than stationary parks. How much does Disney spend on its cruise ships? Dobby says "NO!" to both cruise ships (no grass) and water parks (water).
    Ah, Dobby... many cruise ships have "lawn" areas where they have planted small areas of grass on their ships. Just stay away from the side rails so you don't fall!

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Senior Minion

We're talking past each other. If the existing hotel doesn't work in any way, I'd demo it.

It was a purchase, not Disney construction, but then so too was the DL Hotel.
    Sure, if you want to just blue sky it in any way you prefer, you could do that. But blue sky is just the start of a real design process and then you have to take into account existing realities. I just don't buy that the building doesn't work in any way. It could relatively easily be fixed, much like what they did to the DLH. Demolishing that building would be a waste, it's a bad move both financially and environmentally. There's a huge chunk of land available in the adjacent parking area for another hotel and an additional tower for the PP which could house nicer amenities for that hotel as well.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Blueskybuzzkill (TM)

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Not in Anaheim; guests still love it; it blends to DCA sight lines; California has a rich history of Victorian architecture, yet no love at DCA or DLR hotels...
    Then Disney would have to really commit to California Victorian, not Mictorian, and they just don't do anything "non Disney" anymore. But I still think it'd be far more exciting for Disney to again aim high and really make blended, period appropriate aesthetics work properly.

The problem with trying to retrofit the PP Hotel into Victorian style is that it just wouldn't look right on a building with those proportions.
    Have you seen the Villas at the Grand Floridian?

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Carson Manor could serve as inspiration! (I'm like an Imagineer, in that I'm not above recycling an idea.)

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post

Have you seen the Villas at the Grand Floridian?
    That building is hideous.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Carson Manor could serve as inspiration! (I'm like an Imagineer, in that I'm not above recycling an idea.)
    A good Imagineer would be inspired by Mystic Manor because its Disney.

• Former Churro Jockey

I've seen high-rise hotels with those kinds of themes before (normally designed for smaller buildings) pull it off, so it is possible. I think the number one example is the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louse. It's themed to look like a French Chateau (2 - 3 stories at most) and the building is probably about as high as the Paradise Pier hotel. Aulani is another one that comes to mind, designed after a Hawaiian building that is only one story, yet it works on a 20-story building. So I think it can be done, and maybe they could even incorporate some fiber optics or something and have the building be involved in World of Color the way that the ferris wheel is now.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast