Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Disneyland or Disney land squatting

With the report I saw that Disney just bought the RV park behind Disneyland(across the freeway) for a new staff parking lot…. It got me thinking... What is Disney going to do with all its undeveloped land that its hoarding? Sit on it for more decades? This isn't swamp land, this is valuable CA real estate. They now have 2 multiple day parks attached to an underdeveloped resort.

I colored in some of the land I know disney owns(I'm sure they secretly own more). I know they own a few more motels in the area too.
    Name:  disneysland.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  75.6 KB
    Staying at the Disney hotels at Disneyland is currently overpriced and often fully booked. I recently tried to book 2 person 2 night stay for next year and it came out being $2,300-$3,700 depending on the hotel. I hope it came with park tickets and parking for that! What happened to those budget hotels to be built between the parking garage and the Disneyland Hotel??? I'd love to book a room for under $150-$300 a night. Early entry to Cars Land is tempting but not for thousands extra.

I know all the land below the paradise pier hotel was supposed to be a water park at one time. Glad those urine filled water parks went out of style, but that's a BIG chunk of land to work with.

I know at one time another mega parking garage was going to go alongside the current one. But a small business park(with 2 small office buildings) and motel was purchased near the old grand hotel lot. I think its the new designated spot for the 2nd mega garage.

If disney wanted to they could buy the garden walk from its investors and possibly the huge(quarter block) and the poorly aging Anehiem plaza hotel next to it. I know Garden walk also has space designated for unbuilt hotels and timeshares/condos(dvc potential???).

I also know that Disneyland's bus drop off area and even the parking tram area across from the Californian Hotel can be used to build expensive rooms next to the park entrances.

With use of multiple indoor levels used in lands in a few places, the strawberry field is more than adequate for a 3rd park if they still wanted (AVATAR, MARVEL, STAR WARS).

Disney could eventually work with the city to build something massive at the nearby baseball stadium/CA high speed rail station(a massive location closer than epcot to the MK at WDW).

The DL resort is so compact, that an airport-like driverless cost effective peoplemover could connect the parking, parks, and hotels(unlike at WDW where the distance makes it impractical). I also wish they could build a "wold showcase" like collection of global themed hotels where I could shop and dine in all the countries after the parks close. That downtown disney strip mall is embarrassing when compared to local malls like Citywalk and The Grove.

Anyways…. I just wish they would do SOMETHING with all that land. I know that it cost a fortune to obtain. Does anyone know of any more Disney owned land, plans or timetables??? What should go in first and when?

• Selfie Expert

Re: Disneyland or Disney land squatting

Quote Originally Posted by eicarr View Post
    I recently tried to book 2 person 2 night stay for next year and it came out being $2,300-$3,700 depending on the hotel.
    What kind of rooms were you trying to book?!! Even the Grand Californian, the most expensive hotel on property, has standard rooms for MUCH less than that. That's not to say they're not overpriced, but they're certainly not $1000/night.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Closed Account

Staying at the Disney hotels at Disneyland is currently overpriced and often fully booked.
    A hotel that is fully booked is, by definition, not overpriced.

• The doctor is in

Yes, the Disney hotels are overpriced. I searched for a Disney hotel package when I was getting ready to visit in May and the price was ridiculous. I always stay offsite for that reason. I would rather spend $1400 for a 6-night stay than over $3000.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

It is pricey but if it's fully booked, people are obviously willing to pay that price and so they have priced it correctly.

I live far enough away that I have to fly down and staying at the GCH is double what a hotel within walking distance is.

Overpriced can be seen from 2 different perspectives...A) what you are willing to pay and B) what others are willing to pay. I will tell you that I'm in the A camp and would never pay the prices the DL hotels charge but clearly there are others that will. So in Disney's world, the pricing is just fine as it is as long as they are maintaining their targeted occupancy.

I would love if there were more Disney owned. lower price options like there are in Florida. We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge on our first trip in 2006 and loved it...but agreed we'd never pay for a higher priced room again primarily because we spent very little time in the room. All we needed was 2 beds and Disney transportation which worked perfect via Pop Century.

• Blew By You

Disney's business plans just don't make sense anymore. Even in a free market environment. Unless it's to have a vast array of attic second hand items ready to sell off in a panic to avoid the market correction it dreads.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

There will likely never be lower priced Disney-owned options at DLR simply because of the abundance of hotels nearby. In WDW, there are no reasonably situated non-Disney hotels, therefore lower-priced options had to be made available. Besides, what else would WDW do with all that land since the original concept of a TRUE city of tomorrow was never ralized?

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Besides, what else would WDW do with all that land since the original concept of a TRUE city of tomorrow was never ralized?
    You mean sea of sameness which is Golden Oak isn't the "City of tomorrow"?

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    There will likely never be lower priced Disney-owned options at DLR simply because of the abundance of hotels nearby. In WDW, there are no reasonably situated non-Disney hotels, therefore lower-priced options had to be made available. Besides, what else would WDW do with all that land since the original concept of a TRUE city of tomorrow was never ralized?
    Exactly, it's not WDW and there is already someone filling that market. That being said, Disney could probably do it better and even at a slightly higher price than the average HOJO, still pack em in. I don't think it will happen...I'm betting that any new hotels built will continue to be at the higher end with Paradise Pier being the lowest priced at the resort. As for the land, I don't believe that Disney is squatting at all. At some point the land will be used, probably for many different purposes i.e. a 3rd gate and parking structures. They're lucky that have what they do so they have to carefully plan how they use it.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    You mean sea of sameness which is Golden Oak isn't the "City of tomorrow"?

ohdeargodpleaseno!

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    As for the land, I don't believe that Disney is squatting at all. At some point the land will be used, probably for many different purposes i.e. a 3rd gate and parking structures. They're lucky that have what they do so they have to carefully plan how they use it.
    Technically they aren't squatting because they OWN the land. Squatting is when you move into an abandoned property, establish residence and then claim it as your own. Hording land? Perhaps, but that is entirely their right. Can't speak for the red and yellow sections, but as for the blue they may be holding out for (near) complete ownership of the West-to-Walnut-to-Katella-to-Ball section before they move there.

The patience of The Mouse is infinite... and beyond our puny understanding

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Is that the RV park that has the ART stop that is on the same route as motel 6, if so, that would be great, I always hate being the last stop on the ART for that route at night. During the day I take a different route.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    A hotel that is fully booked is, by definition, not overpriced.

One even wonders if the offsite hotels on harbor are even underpriced. If Disney packs to capacity for 3-5 times a harbor hotel, then I'd suspect that harbor could jack their rates by 50% and not realize much impact on occupancy.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

With the report I saw that Disney just bought the RV park behind Disneyland(across the freeway) for a new staff parking lot…. It got me thinking... What is Disney going to do with all its undeveloped land that its hoarding? Sit on it for more decades? This isn't swamp land, this is valuable CA real estate. They now have 2 multiple day parks attached to an underdeveloped resort.

I colored in some of the land I know disney owns(I'm sure they secretly own more). I know they own a few more motels in the area too.
    Name:  disneysland.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  75.6 KB

I'm a little confused by your map... everything you colored in blue are different parking lots that are being used. They're not open expanses of space that aren't being utilized. Obviously they could "double up" with parking by building a multi-level parking structure on one any of the flat parking areas, thus freeing up space in another parking area. But it's not like these blue areas on your map are just empty, nonused areas.

Also, in your yellow marked area, it looks like the part that extends west is the Best Western Park Place. Or did you mean to color in another hotel? In any case, are you certain Disney owns ANY of the hotels on Harbor? Can you give us a source for this info? That would be awesome if they did own something along that corridor so they can easily connect from the current resort area to their east of Harbor land. The area south of Katella is obviously where the 3rd gate will be, and from what I've read the area you have colored in yellow will be the parking for the new park (and the rest of the resort). I've read on here on MiceChat that Disney didn't take advantage of purchasing GardenWalk when they had the chance. Hopefully they can still acquire it and connect the new parking area with the 3rd gate.

• Former Churro Jockey

One thing about the budget hotels at WDW you have to keep in mind and that is that they are ENORMOUS! Each of the four budget hotels holds somewhere around 3000 rooms, which is presumably the only way that a $79/nt hotel room makes financial sense for Disney. A single All-Star Resort is far too big to go anywhere in Anaheim, so I wouldn't expect that we'll ever get a budget hotel like that. The Paradise Pier is probably as cheap as Disney is ever going to go. However, they are missing out on more revenue by not having more hotels, since the three hotels are totally sold out almost every single night, so I'm surprised that they haven't at least started building more, but of course that kind of expense requires approval from the Board of Directors, and as MiceAge reported a few months ago, the Board doesn't want Disney to spend any money right now because they've spent so much over the past few years between two new cruise ships, DCA Makeover, Aulani, Bay Lake Towers, Kidani Villas, and right now the DVC wing of the Grand Floridian. So we'll probably have to wait until next year before Disney even announces that they're going to start building a new hotel (or two), and my guess is that they'll have to add a DVC wing to justify the expense to the Board, so they'll probably go for the deluxe type of hotel with a DVC wing, which means any new hotels will probably be priced like the Grand Californian.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast