Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Re: Advice for making toddler's first trip special?

We have been taking our DD since she was about 2 and 1/2 and she loved it and continued loving it. Her memories are vague about the early trips but her remembrance of loving them never stopped. Our memories of those early trips are priceless to us. As stated before, you really will take things on their terms as you go through the parks. Slow and steady with time off for naps worked well for us. Our first character meal was the Minnie and friends at the Plaza and the pictures I have from that are priceless to me. She loved dancing with Minnie and Tigger.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

I am hoping (praying) that we have good financial standing by next September so that we can go with our (by then) 3 and a half year old son and (by then) 7 month old son.............or daughter, my wife is expecting. Disneyland would be a riot for our son and I just want to see his reactions to things.

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Quote Originally Posted by Hapamom View Post
    Hi everyone!We are planning our daughter's first trip to Disneyland! We will be staying at the Grand California and would love some ideas on how to make her first trip special! She will be 19 months old. We had planned on going to Disney for her second birthday but decided to go early.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Food, activities, in room celebrations (good or no good). I've found a lot of people recommend Dumbo and know to go early. Is Car Land worth running over early for?

Has anyone had experience with the Disney express shuttle?

Any world of color or fantasmic tips?

We haven't been back to disney since 2009. Have a lot of things changed?

I know there are a lt of questions I've been googling but wanted to ask

Hi,

At this point, and don't take this the wrong way, but you are going on the trip for both of you and gladly, happily bringing your daughter along for the ride. At this age, she will never remember any of it which is unfortunate.

Now, I have been there before. We took my oldest a couple weeks after he turned 2. Neither my wife, nor I had been in years and went to Disneyland as something to do during a convention I was attending. Since it was kind of a throw in, we didn't have any expectations. My son loved it. That is why I am now a Disney fan and on these boards.

What that means for you is that as long as you take it down to her level you can still have a good time. Unfortunately, you will not be able to do everything as a family due to her age and size. This may mean child swap on certain rides or ignoring some of the bigger ones all together.

In regards to celebrations, she won't remember any of it. If you and your spouse want to do something, by all means do so. You know your daughter best and what she can handle. My son, screamed for three days whenever he saw Mickey, but eventually cheered up right before we left to come home.

Depending on her food tastes, you are either bringing your own or having her eat off the kids menu. THe kids menu is pretty good and children of all ages can enjoy it. Basically there are chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, PBJ ( I think) and a couple of other options.

In terms of rides, you can only know what she will like by trying them out. However, I would caution that most kids would probably take best to Fantasyland, Small World and other tamed rides. More than likely, she will just be wide eyed and taking it all in as she has NEVER seen anything like this before.

In terms of Carsland, yes for both of you you will have a blast. For her, she will not enjoy it most likely. Bugs land is a good option for her at this age unless she is a super kid and loves the more thrilling kids aged rides.

The Grand California is a fantastic hotel. Enjoy it and all it has to offer.

Go and have a great time but keep your expectations low. I learned the hard way with our youngest about that on his first visit.

I've taken my 2 year old niece and she loves it! Sure, she won't remember any of it, but she has a blast and asks me every time she sees me when we are going next. Unfortunately she turns 3 at the end of the month so our trips will stop. It's just the two of us so it's all about her, no adult rides. I also go to Knott's with my sister and other niece (18 mo) all the time and we do mostly stuff for us with child swap.

Advice:

take it slow, take breaks, and be prepared for meltdowns. They are in unfamiliar places, full of stimulation, and they are usually LONG days, so break it up.

Bring snacks and small toys for the lines as they can get bored and cranky very quickly.

You'll be using a stroller and parking it all over, so pack two bags, one with diapers, etc that you can leave in the stroller and a smaller bag with valuables to take with you. It really helps not having to carry your whole diaper bag through the lines and onto rides.

While you are doing rider swap find a place to wait where you can let your kiddo run around. Vthey will be happier and more likely to wait through the next line.

with characters, it all depends on the kid. My almost 3 year old niece gets really shy still, my 1.5year old loves them (took her one time of being scared/uncertain to loving them)

Thank you for this detailed reply! My daughter loves Mickey and gets excited looking at pictures of!ickey with other kids. The show advice is also what I needed to know. I was wondering about purchasing the dessert package for fantasmic, but I was worried shed fall asleep!

Thank you! I guess I had expectations, but I think I'm just going to go with the flow after reading everyone's posts. She loves people in costume (she saw Mickey when she was six months old at the Aulani and she just loved him. I'm hoping it will be the same!)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    I am hoping (praying) that we have good financial standing by next September so that we can go with our (by then) 3 and a half year old son and (by then) 7 month old son.............or daughter, my wife is expecting. Disneyland would be a riot for our son and I just want to see his reactions to things.
    good luck with your trip! We were the same for awhile. I've been saving for this trip (and started a part time job). I wish you and your family all the best!

Does she like princesses? When we went last year, my 2yr 1mos girl was thrilled to meet he princesses. Her least favorite thing was the dark rides, she hated them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12