Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Is Disneyland justified as the happiest place on earth?

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Generally speaking, yes; but the huge crowds and lack of an off-season has caused more than a slight loss of said happiness.
    This. Also, the more you know about the internal workings, the chances that you'll be disenchanted will exist.
    Last edited by Druggas; 10-05-2013 at 07:52 AM.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• And Dad was my hero.

3rd happiest for me.

First, home. Cultivating a place I can be happy and calm for most of the year is my priority. Keeps me "happiest". Was I like that before I had kids? Nope. For me, it took having a child to realize home needs to be the happiest place.

Second, S. of France. I hold some of my dearest travel memories there and when I have a choice between there or Disneyland, I pick there.

Disneyland is third though, which is darn high if you think about it. There are millions of places in the world to visit and so many are WONDERFUL, so considering all the places I have loved and all the more that I still have yet to visit, third is praise for me.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I think it was definitely true when the moniker was first created. But sadly seeing how much the park has slipped since then, I'm not so sure anymore.

• Local Animatronic @ Dland

ticket booth in front of Main Street Cinema

Disneyland is the Happiest Place on Earth. <(period!)
    -> -> http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/181693-after-hours.html <- <-
    Stories of Disneyland from an animatronic's point of view

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Disneyland is not the most important thing in my life.
    Now the LA Dodgers are a whole 'nother thing
    Disneyland never broke my heart. I can't say that about the Dodgers. Chavez Ravine has many redeeming qualities but I would not rank it anywhere near Disneyland in happiness.

I just think asking the question in this context is gonna get subjective answers. Micechat has become one of my "happiest places." I want to retire within closer proximity to Disneyland. Court of Angels was the exact place, of course, where I could imagine living in Walt's apartment and having an early morning coffee before guests arrived.

Could we build housing for low income seniors above the stores on Main Street?

Maybe I should move to Marceline? (Dobby says he would prefer Chavez Ravine under the bleachers to Marceline...)
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Another overreaction to a simple, perhaps innocent question acting you are being personally attacked. I'm seeing this far too much on the boards anymore. Nobody told you what should or shouldn't make you happy.

I didn't post the questions but I think the they are somewhat valid as it frames what other life experiences you've had. If your life is so totally focused on Disneyland, you may be missing out on some amazing life experiences. Not a condemnation, just an observation. If you have kids or are married, very often your life priorities and experiences change dramatically. I've been to DL hundreds of times but the experiences I have with my family, inside or outside of Disneyland, are my happiest moments.
    Thank you stevek, well said. they were just innocent questions. I love Disneyland but it is not the most important nor the happiest thing in my life.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    This. Also, the more you know about the internal workings, the chances that you'll be disenchanted will exist.
    I think it's rather amazing that I can know as much as I do and the "magic" and "happiness" still happen.

I've never seen "The Happiest Place on Earth" as a literal statement (well, not since being a young 'un perhaps) but more as an aspiration. The fact that they've gotten away with using it so long says something. If Universal Studios tried to call themselves "The Happiest Place on Earth" it wouldn't make much sense, would it?

Taken from another angle, how many people are at Disneyland at a particular time and how many of them are happy, and to what degree? Summed together, especially on a busy day, there might be some quantifiable way to determine that Disneyland is at some specific moment, in fact, the place on Earth with the greatest concentration of "happy."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Another overreaction to a simple, perhaps innocent question acting you are being personally attacked. I'm seeing this far too much on the boards anymore. Nobody told you what should or shouldn't make you happy.

I didn't post the questions but I think the they are somewhat valid as it frames what other life experiences you've had. If your life is so totally focused on Disneyland, you may be missing out on some amazing life experiences. Not a condemnation, just an observation. If you have kids or are married, very often your life priorities and experiences change dramatically. I've been to DL hundreds of times but the experiences I have with my family, inside or outside of Disneyland, are my happiest moments.
    If someone loves Disneyland enough to consider it their happiest place, it doesn't say anything about their life or their experiences other than the fact that they really love Disneyland. I can think of a couple of rock stars that have spouses, have traveled around the world and accomplished great things and still think of Disneyland as their happiest place (Robert Smith of the Cure comes to mind). Marriage and/or kids aren't the end-all or life goals for many people, and there are a ton of "amazing experiences" that don't involve that which are just as valuable to the individuals that have them.

At the end of the day, what works for you doesn't always work for someone else.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-05-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    If someone loves Disneyland enough to consider it their happiest place, it doesn't say anything about their life or their experiences other than the fact that they really love Disneyland. I can think of a couple of rock stars that have spouses, have traveled around the world and accomplished great things and still think of Disneyland as their happiest place (Robert Smith of the Cure comes to mind). Marriage and/or kids aren't the end-all or life goals for many people, and there are a ton of "amazing experiences" that don't involve that which are just as valuable to the individuals that have them.

At the end of the day, what works for you doesn't always work for someone else.
    He's merely asking the question to understand the perspective; nothing more and nothing less. I'm looking forward to the response.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Disneyland is going on 60 years old in a few more years. It has brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people over the years. From that perspective, I think it can definitely claim to be "The Happiest Place".
    I'm Going To Disneyland ! - May 11, 2015 - May 16, 2015

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    He's merely asking the question to understand the perspective; nothing more and nothing less. I'm looking forward to the response.
    I think the person already answered the questions, and said that it was irrelevant to his/her Disney perspective - and I think that's valid.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-05-2013 at 07:32 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

I think the person already answered the questions, and said that it was irrelevant to his/her Disney perspective - and I think that's valid.
    Of course it's valid; it's a matter of personal opinion. The request is to explain the answer in more depth for a more full understanding of where this person is coming from.

•   
    • Minion

Of course it's valid; it's a matter of personal opinion. The request is to explain the answer in more depth for a more full understanding of where this person is coming from.
    But it's not appropriate, IMHO, to ask someone to give details of their personal life to justify or explain their love of Disney. The poster doesn't really owe anyone an explanation - they find Disneyland to be their happiest place/experiences; someone else finds their wife and kids fill that role. It's a difference of opinion and neither party needs to explain it or invalidate the other.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

But it's not appropriate, IMHO, to ask someone to give details of their personal life to justify or explain their love of Disney. The poster doesn't really owe anyone an explanation - they find Disneyland to be their happiest place/experiences; someone else finds their wife and kids fill that role. It's a difference of opinion and neither party needs to explain it or invalidate the other.
    I think that's a fair enough opinion. It's perfectly valid for there to be no response or to decline the request for a more detailed answer. I don't understand the sentiment of Disney being the Happiest Place on Earth for myself so I am curious for a more detailed answer. Of course he/she is not obligated to answer at all. Fair enough point on your end.

• Selfie Expert

I think that's a fair enough opinion. It's perfectly valid for there to be no response or to decline the request for a more detailed answer. I don't understand the sentiment of Disney being the Happiest Place on Earth for myself so I am curious for a more detailed answer. Of course he/she is not obligated to answer at all. Fair enough point on your end.
    I'm happy to attempt to explain why Disneyland is MY happy place:

When I'm home, I'm thinking about work, bills, money, etc. Not constantly, mind you, as home is also my place to relax and escape. However, home is still part of "reality" and "responsibility" for me, so I can't escape 100%. Kudos to those who can. When I'm in Disneyland, I'm worry-free. I've completely abandoned my real world responsibilities (to an extent... I'm still a responsible adult but hopefully you get what I mean), I'm not thinking about work, I'm not there to worry about anyone but myself and my loved ones that I'm with.

As for spouses/kids/family... those aren't "places" to me. They're people. My happy place becomes even happier when I can share it with the most special people in my life, obviously, but I consider those to be very separate. Obviously, people will have their own definitions and opinions.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast