Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• The doctor is in

Re: Why the addition of Jack Sparrow in Pirates has never bothered me

I agree with those who have said the inclusion isn't so bothersome, but the rewriting of the storyline to revolve around Jack is what bothers me. I don't really mind the Pirates movie animatronics. They look good and they are fun to spot. All the original pirates yapping about Jack Sparrow is another story.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Former Churro Jockey

Neither the addition of Jack Sparrow nor the changing of the women chasing the men bothers me in the least. It's still just as fun as ever. In fact, I'd like to see them change the pirate ship attacking the fort to be the Black Pearl (something I think will be an unpopular idea here on MiceAge). The thing that bothers me is that it really needs a serious update. It is starting to look a little bit old and outdated to me, and even a little bit hokey as far as the fake fire effects (which are so obviously sheets with a fan behind them to make them billow and a red light in front of them). I'm sure Disney can come up with something significantly better today.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Senior Minion

What frollofan, JerrodDRagon, HMF, micromind, greenalfonzo, SunsetLament, Pinrar, alphabassetgrrl, johnnylv and DrFink said.

Updating POTC is one thing. Turning it into a hamhanded, in-your-face infomercial for Jerry Bruckheimer's movie franchise is something entirely different.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-11-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Neither the addition of Jack Sparrow nor the changing of the women chasing the men bothers me in the least. It's still just as fun as ever. In fact, I'd like to see them change the pirate ship attacking the fort to be the Black Pearl (something I think will be an unpopular idea here on MiceAge). The thing that bothers me is that it really needs a serious update. It is starting to look a little bit old and outdated to me, and even a little bit hokey as far as the fake fire effects (which are so obviously sheets with a fan behind them to make them billow and a red light in front of them). I'm sure Disney can come up with something significantly better today.
    The Black Pearl idea is great. Even better would be to find a way to recreate the "moonlight" effect on the animatronics in Barbosa's crew since the sky there has the moon and occasional cloud cover. *day dreams*
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Minion

The way they should have handled it was make it just an It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World-esque Treasure Hunt where Jack ends up getting the prize and set up "Jack's in town" with Barbossa yelling that he doesn't want Jack Sparrow or anybody else beating him to the treasure. I don't like Disney treating the audience like they have the attention span of a goldfish and it doesn't make any sense at all that the village would be "protecting" a pirate like Jack.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

I never was bothered with the additions even with growing up with the old Pirates. To me, it made sense to add Jack onto the ride. When seeing the ride before the changes my cousin went on the ride with me and kept constantly bugging me about "Where's Jack?" I don't think it was initially done to "advertise" Pirates, but due to potentially having Disney get this question a lot from the younger audience.

The storyline is a little muddled as someone else described. It's a combination of the old and new ride storylines, it isn't just one storyline, and they don't fit together in harmony. His storyline addition doesn't make sense, nor fits into the original Pirates. That's why people typically have an issue.

To me, I'd prefer it if it was just Barbosa in the beginning looking for Jack and at the ending with Jack singing "A Pirates Life to Me" with the treasure. That way, the storyline is kept in, but stated briefly and we see him at the end having the treasure that everyone seems to be looking for.

•   
    • Minion

That's how I feel about it. I actually really like the Jack animatronics, and I think they add to the ride - I just hate that the pirates shout "JACK SPARROW" every two seconds.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    That's how I feel about it. I actually really like the Jack animatronics, and I think they add to the ride - I just hate that the pirates shout "JACK SPARROW" every two seconds.
    There should be a "Captain" in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Yes, as well as Barbossa is firing on the fortress, demanding they hand over Jack Sparrow. This all just made me realize: we don't hear any other pirates shouting out names, do we?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MWH1980 View Post
    Yes, as well as Barbossa is firing on the fortress, demanding they hand over Jack Sparrow. This all just made me realize: we don't hear any other pirates shouting out names, do we?
    dunking well pirate, pooped pirate

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    The addition of Jack does not bother me. The changing of the rides Storyline to revolve around Jack bothers me profoundly.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    It is starting to look a little bit old and outdated to me, and even a little bit hokey as far as the fake fire effects (which are so obviously sheets with a fan behind them to make them billow and a red light in front of them). I'm sure Disney can come up with something significantly better today.

What happened to all the fire??

Jack Sparrow's animatronics really don't bug me at all. He isn't the main focus of any scene he's in except the added one at the end with the treasure room. In all his scenes he's actually very out of the way typically. What really bugs me is how they changed the plot of the attraction from "Pirates raid Spanish Caribbean port town to loot treasure." to "Pirates raid Spanish Caribbean port town to find Jack Sparrow." It's absolutely bizarre hearing the newly recorded "Where be Cap'n Jack Sparrow?!" and then hear the 1960's "Don't tell him Carlos, don't be chicken!" in reply.

Also the film theme blaring as you emerge into the first scene feels like it's purposefully trying to add insult to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    I don't like Disney treating the audience like they have the attention span of a goldfish
    Happening more than with just Pirates...

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Corn View Post
    It's absolutely bizarre hearing the newly recorded "Where be Cap'n Jack Sparrow?!" and then hear the 1960's "Don't tell him Carlos, don't be chicken!" in reply.

Also the film theme blaring as you emerge into the first scene feels like it's purposefully trying to add insult to injury.

Yep. Wish they'd just left it alone.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

I hear "Captain Jack Sparrow" nine times during a normally operating float through. Yes, I've counted more than once.

It's ridiculous and anything but subtle.

I will admit, my Dad loves the POTC films, and had nothing bad toe aye regarding the new additions when we were there in 2008. He was pretty impressed by the smoke/waterfall with Davey Jones talking.
    The list of Disney people I've encountered in my life: John Lasseter, Brad Bird, Lee Unkrich, Darla K Anderson, Eric Goldberg, Don Hahn, Peter Schneider, Burney Mattinson, John Musker, Ron Clements, Nik Ranieri, John Kahrs, Jeff Turley, Patrick Osbourne, Dave Bossert, Roy P Disney.

People I would love to meet in person: Glen Keane, Andreas Deja.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast