Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Why the addition of Jack Sparrow in Pirates has never bothered me

I'm also feeling okay with the Sparrow changes to the ride. There have been worse refurbs that Disney has done before so this is pretty much "eh" to me(in my eyes at least).
    "Imagination is something that belongs to all of us!"

-Dreamfinder

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    I grew up with the old version of Pirates of the Caribbean. Prior to the movie being made and such and I thought it was the best ride there even at that time. With the success of the movies starting in 2003 my opinion is that Disney didn't anticipate it would be THAT popular. Hence, a person who has never been on the ride is going to be wondering where Jack Sparrow is the whole time. Disney had to put him in there, the movies were just that good. People always assume the rides are inspired from the movie where as Pirates was the other way around, which not everyone knows.

However, I've always felt they did a great job of blending Sparrow into the fray. He isn't in there THAT much but just the right amount for the fans of the movie to see him and in my opinion just enough for the fans of the "old style" not to complain too much. It still is a great ride either way. If Eddie Murphy was ever added into the Haunted Mansion, then that would ruin it, but a movie franchise that has been as succesful as this one has GOT to have some sort of reference to the movie in there.
    you know I really do agree with you. I usually hate when they add movie stuff but honestly they did a really good job with jack sparrow. They made him look like every other pirate in the ride so it really doesnt take away from the experience in my opinion. I really dont mind him at all in the ride. my only gripe is the projection waterfall with the talking heads.

NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO! NEMO!

Oh, sorry, wrong ride. Same effect, though.
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

I certainly miss the pre jack Sparrow POTC. I wish Dland management would have taken the millions allocated to the project and used it elsewhere in the park (perhaps to rebuild the old water fall mountain at rivers of America) I cannot stand the fact that they removed the narration in the dark transiston tunnel. I cannot stand that they removed red beard from the ship battle scene and replaced him and his narration with Geoffrey rush! I cannot stand the addition of the films theme music during the battle. I think the whole
    Project was a pointless waste of money.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    I certainly miss the pre jack Sparrow POTC. I wish Dland management would have taken the millions allocated to the project and used it elsewhere in the park (perhaps to rebuild the old water fall mountain at rivers of America) I cannot stand the fact that they removed the narration in the dark transiston tunnel. I cannot stand that they removed red beard from the ship battle scene and replaced him and his narration with Geoffrey rush! I cannot stand the addition of the films theme music during the battle. I think the whole
    Project was a pointless waste of money.
    With so much you can't stand, do you still ride it? Do you still enjoy the ride overall or is it ruined for you?

Not trying to troll or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

I still ride it because the parts they did not destroy are still there (for now). I cannot for the life of me understand why so much money was spent on the "additions". Which really is sad

I could have handled Sparrow if it were less front-and-center and one time. But it's all over the place!

I still ride it, like the poster above said, there is still enough that is good about the ride, but Sparrow bothers me. I did prefer the old music to the movie theme in the ship battle, though that change bothers me less than the others.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Cunning infiltrator

They should have just make Captain Jack Sparrow a cameo like the first Jack you see hiding from the other pirates at Dunking the Mayor Scene.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

As a DL noob, what was the treasure room scene like pre-Depp?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lasttuesday View Post
    As a DL noob, what was the treasure room scene like pre-Depp?
    If you are referring to the lift hill treasure room, there used to not be a treasure room there. Before the 2006 refurb, there were two pirates struggling to move a stash of treasure up the lift, and as you moved up farther you could see a skeleton and hear "Dead Men Tell No Tales" echoing in the background.

The Davy Jones and Blackbeard narration a bug me more than any of the Jack Sparrow stuff (although they could cut down on the number do times they say his name).

I do like the Davy Jones floating head thing, but wish hey could change his spiel to go with the story better. Blackbeard talking to you at the end seems kind of random.

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    I never was bothered with the additions even with growing up with the old Pirates. To me, it made sense to add Jack onto the ride. When seeing the ride before the changes my cousin went on the ride with me and kept constantly bugging me about "Where's Jack?" I don't think it was initially done to "advertise" Pirates, but due to potentially having Disney get this question a lot from the younger audience.

The storyline is a little muddled as someone else described. It's a combination of the old and new ride storylines, it isn't just one storyline, and they don't fit together in harmony. His storyline addition doesn't make sense, nor fits into the original Pirates. That's why people typically have an issue.

To me, I'd prefer it if it was just Barbosa in the beginning looking for Jack and at the ending with Jack singing "A Pirates Life to Me" with the treasure. That way, the storyline is kept in, but stated briefly and we see him at the end having the treasure that everyone seems to be looking for.
    But it isn't really that the two storylines are incompattible it's just that the Jack Sparrow subplot really IS handled not in a story or character driven way but in a marketing driven way.

The pirates are attacking and pillaging a town and in the midst of the chaous Jack outsmarts them and manages to steal the main store of treasure. There's nothing wrong with that kind of setup. But this find Jack element doesn't work when the one thing the designers were terrified of is that people wouldn't find Jack. So he isn't really hiden (except in the fat scene) and all the dialogue isn't written to express character or story but rather to point out the addition as much as possible.

We have the largue plotholes like the mayor protecting Jack for some unknown reason. To smaller slightly off details like Barbossa addressing Jack by full title (maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember Barbossa ever considering Jack a real captain and would only reference him as a captain in a mocking sense). There are ways to express Barbossa's character and even name drop Jack in the process but there just wasn't any thought in the integration whatsoever.

The ride's ills would be hugely improved by having Barbossa's attack go back more to the origional attack dialogue (or something more fitting for his character). Returning the the dunking to it's origional form and then just leaving Jack's sequences with the fat pirate and the new ending.

There are other issues with the new upgrade. I find the new waterfall scene a bit chatty for my own tastes. Like just the fact that it's a fake out waterall is impressive and exciting enough. Having a cartoon projected onto the waterfall every 5 seconds just kinda punctures the illusion. But honestly my real issue is again it feels like there was a fear that guests might not hear every possible dialogue that waterfall has. So we get to see three renditions of it (possible more if the ride backs up) play through before we clear the scene. If they slowed it down a bit it'd make the scene less grating and if guests don't hear EVERY dialogue then it actually gives people reason to reride.

Honestly if they wanted to add even more movie like feelings to the ride how about replacing the "pirates life for me" song after the first drop with a music score from the movies? Then maybe have some ghostly quotes play as you near the first drop. "those who fall behind are left behind" "better start believing in ghost stories, your in one" all seem like good choices (again if it perhaps functioned on alternating boats and not in an overly chatty way).

I could go on with bigger attraction ideas but honestly the most mild of dialogue updates would make the entire movie update less obnoxious and MUCH more enjoyable. The current update just seems to love neither the ride nor the movies. Just seems to want to go "Jack Sparrow Jack Sparrow Jack Sparrow". I still go on the ride I suppose but I don't really reride it like I did back in the day. Of course maybe I'm just getting old and jaded, anything's possible.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    I could go on with bigger attraction ideas but honestly the most mild of dialogue updates would make the entire movie update less obnoxious and MUCH more enjoyable. The current update just seems to love neither the ride nor the movies. Just seems to want to go "Jack Sparrow Jack Sparrow Jack Sparrow".

Yep. That's exactly what it needs. More subtlety. Less "look here, look here!!!!"
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123