Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why the addition of Jack Sparrow in Pirates has never bothered me

I grew up with the old version of Pirates of the Caribbean. Prior to the movie being made and such and I thought it was the best ride there even at that time. With the success of the movies starting in 2003 my opinion is that Disney didn't anticipate it would be THAT popular. Hence, a person who has never been on the ride is going to be wondering where Jack Sparrow is the whole time. Disney had to put him in there, the movies were just that good. People always assume the rides are inspired from the movie where as Pirates was the other way around, which not everyone knows.

However, I've always felt they did a great job of blending Sparrow into the fray. He isn't in there THAT much but just the right amount for the fans of the movie to see him and in my opinion just enough for the fans of the "old style" not to complain too much. It still is a great ride either way. If Eddie Murphy was ever added into the Haunted Mansion, then that would ruin it, but a movie franchise that has been as succesful as this one has GOT to have some sort of reference to the movie in there.

• Minion

Re: Why the addition of Jack Sparrow in Pirates has never bothered me

My biggest complaint is that the pirates shout out his name way too many times imo. The pirates should be focusing on finding the treasure rather than a single person. This causes the premise of the ride to be muddled and thereby detracting from the original experience.

• Heavy Breather

I always have to tell people that the Pirates of the Caribbean films were based off of a theme park attraction. And the Haunted Mansion, which thankfully no features from that film made it into the Mansion.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

If he was just there..then fine...but they took out the long black cavern cool speech...have every third pirate saying Jacks name and jack really just adds nothing new to the ride because being there

• Member of Baxter's Army

The addition of Jack does not bother me. The changing of the rides Storyline to revolve around Jack bothers me profoundly.

• world class bilge rat

To me, DL is a place to escape reality and live whatever life the attraction aims for.

This is simply not possible when any part of the attraction features an image of an actual person.

While I still enjoy the ride, I feel it was much better years ago.

They say his name too much, and have too many Jack animatronics in there as well. One or two would have been enough.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    The addition of Jack does not bother me. The changing of the rides Storyline to revolve around Jack bothers me profoundly.
    Perfectly stated. He should be there once (in the background, and maybe referred to once). Focusing the entire ride around him was a terrible mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    This. Jack should have quietly joined the hunt for the treasure, not become the hunted.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I'm personally not bothered by the addition of Jack Sparrow. It doesn't really detract me from the rest of the ride.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    My biggest complaint is that the pirates shout out his name way too many times imo. The pirates should be focusing on finding the treasure rather than a single person. This causes the premise of the ride to be muddled and thereby detracting from the original experience.
    That's my issue, too. I don't mind the added animatronics, I think they're fine, it's the "Jack Sparrow!" bombardment that gets me.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

I could tolerate having a Jack figure in the ride. I don't like it, but I could tolerate it.

I don't like the constant focus of the ride being around "find Jack!" Pirates are looking for treasure, not just one dude. Much more fun that way.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I grew up on the original ride as well, but loved the films. I think the additions were well placed (though I agree about saying the name too much) however, the thing that really bothers me every time is the contrast of the old animatronics with Jack's new modern movements - he looks like a real person moving! It struck me as very out of place the first time I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetlament View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hmf View Post
    the addition of jack does not bother me. The changing of the rides storyline to revolve around jack bothers me profoundly.
    perfectly stated. He should be there once (in the background, and maybe referred to once). Focusing the entire ride around him was a terrible mistake.
    yes!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    Hence, a person who has never been on the ride is going to be wondering where Jack Sparrow is the whole time...People always assume the rides are inspired from the movie where as Pirates was the other way around, which not everyone knows.
    And this is a problem...because???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast