Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Disney please update Star Tours!

I remember when Star Tours first opened, I was about 15 and when you are 15 even a 20 minute wait is an unimaginable long time to wait for a ride, for the impatiant teenager that I was anyway. We were on on a school trip and my best friend and I went together. The line to get on was about two hours and we both said that nothing was worth that. So we decised to for-go the ride until a later date. But then we went on the People Mover and saw the pre-view area and were so excited at what we had a glance at that we decided to wait in line. When we finally got into the building I thought that I had died and gone to heaven. Every teenage boys dream (besides dating the hottest cheerleader at school) had come true. I was actually in the world of Star Wars. Everything was so cool. From the giant screen telling you of vacation destinations to the R2-D2 and C3PO's arguing with each other it was great. When we got on the ride I will never forget that when we crashed through the ice wall to get out of the comet everybody in the ride vehicle clapped and cheered. At the end of the ride everyone was so happy and excited and talking to complete strangers about what they had experienced. It is in my mind one of the greatest moments of my childhood. Since it was the first ride simulator with that kind of technology it was like nothing anyone had ever experienced before.
    Sadly even for a ride as great as Star Tours time has caught up to it. No longer do I feel anything for it. There are just to many other ride simulators out there. If they want to have that type of AHH! factor again major changes must happen. I agree that it was once a great ride and it will be missed, but if Disney ever wants to have folks re-capture that kind magic again they'll really have to make some major changes!

Quote Originally Posted by HOBIE55
    I remember when Star Tours first opened, I was about 15 and when you are 15 even a 20 minute wait is an unimaginable long time to wait for a ride, for the impatiant teenager that I was anyway. We were on on a school trip and my best friend and I went together. The line to get on was about two hours and we both said that nothing was worth that. So we decised to for-go the ride until a later date. But then we went on the People Mover and saw the pre-view area and were so excited at what we had a glance at that we decided to wait in line. When we finally got into the building I thought that I had died and gone to heaven. Every teenage boys dream (besides dating the hottest cheerleader at school) had come true. I was actually in the world of Star Wars. Everything was so cool. From the giant screen telling you of vacation destinations to the R2-D2 and C3PO's arguing with each other it was great. When we got on the ride I will never forget that when we crashed through the ice wall to get out of the comet everybody in the ride vehicle clapped and cheered. At the end of the ride everyone was so happy and excited and talking to complete strangers about what they had experienced. It is in my mind one of the greatest moments of my childhood. Since it was the first ride simulator with that kind of technology it was like nothing anyone had ever experienced before.
    Sadly even for a ride as great as Star Tours time has caught up to it. No longer do I feel anything for it. There are just to many other ride simulators out there. If they want to have that type of AHH! factor again major changes must happen. I agree that it was once a great ride and it will be missed, but if Disney ever wants to have folks re-capture that kind magic again they'll really have to make some major changes!
    I know exactly what you mean. Back in 1986, people were awestruck by the entire experience. Finally, everyone had a chance to enter all of those worlds that were part of the Star Wars universe. The attraction was overwhelming, and it is still the most well-conceived and well-executed story and show inside Disneyland, even with all of the horrible changes that have been made to the experience over the years.

I just hope that the reports are true and that Iger is giving Lucas whatever he wants so that Star Tours can offer flights to more destinations throughout that galaxy far, far away.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 02-05-2006 at 04:27 AM.

• back in Austin

I don't get why pod racers would be so wrong for a ST redo. Nemo in Tomorrowland definitely clashes thematically (unless they're really creative in how they spin it), but pod racing fits right into the Star Wars universe and the general theme of TL.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

It isn't a problem in fitting with the land. It is a problem in fitting with the idea of a TRANSPORT vehicle. If you took the simulator capacity down to less than 5, bring on the podracing, but if you want anywhere NEAR the current capacity, I feel podracing/speeder bikes/etc just don't fit.

I think the concept that was being considered was to have the Starspeeder inadvertantly find itself on Tatooine in the middle of a podracer competition.

• Star Tours Fan

George Lucas during his Q&A at Celebration 3 last summer said he wants to update Star Tours.

http://www.theforce.net/celebration/...tion_91600.asp

Hear George say it himself:
    Session 1 about 7min in
    http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/member/audiocast/
    Last edited by Blueharvest1138; 02-05-2006 at 11:21 PM.

• Banned User

Apperantly WDI is reading everything on the message boards so lets put this at the top of the forum.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234