Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Re: Court of Angels IS going to Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    If the infrastructure was there, this would be the ideal solution.
    "If" is the hard part.

While not having access to the plumbing maps of Disneyland makes this all guesswork, I can't see a reason they'd have installed the necessary plumbing and sewage pipes to the area by HM to make a bathroom work there.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The word "nobody" just does not seem appropriate in a conversation about theme park matters. I bet there have been more of these "nobody's" enjoying the COA, than the numbers who have dined at Club 33.

I am one of those people who loves to smell the roses, or enjoys stopping to take a picture, or pausing to appreciate a feature of the park. I will continue to do so as others hurry on their way to the listed attractions.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about that...

New York Times, May 7, 2013: Gains at Disney Parks Lift Profit
    "Walt Disney Parks and Resorts reported operating income of $383 million, a 73 percent increase.", from the article you quotes.

That's $383 million for 11 theme parks and cruise lines and the resorts (of which WDW has many more than DLR), and this is before taxes are considered. So maybe DLR makes about $40 million a quarter for the company before taxes . . . there were years after DCA opened when DLR was losing money, as a whole. How much does Disney pay in taxes? We might be looking at $80 million after taxes for DLR as a whole, and they've got to pay off the Carsland investment at some point.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Not sure how you'd fit the elevator up to the Club unless you also want to close Pirates and substantially reconfigure the line. The current location is both not really ADA friendly nor is it going to be going into an area that will be open to the public under the rebuild.
    There already is an elevator for the Dream Suite, it was installed after the renovation. It is require by law that they make it ADA friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Not unless the entry is through the kitchen of the Club.. And the elevator to the Dream Suite would make guests have to go through the DS to get to the kitchen area.
    That's why they would use the excess amount of room in the Dream Suite or another location for the kitchen. A simple design change would fix your issue.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 09-13-2013 at 12:27 PM.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    The word "nobody" just does not seem appropriate in a conversation about theme park matters. I bet there have been more of these "nobody's" enjoying the COA, than the numbers who have dined at Club 33.

I am one of those people who loves to smell the roses, or enjoys stopping to take a picture, or pausing to appreciate a feature of the park. I will continue to do so as others hurry on their way to the listed attractions.
    Who you calling a nobody!
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

•   
    • Minion

One more thing I've thought of...won't this sort of change the whole "secret club" thing? Yeah, a lot of people know about Club 33, but a lot of people don't - and they walk right by that nondescript door with the '33' medallion without even thinking twice.

When the entrance/waiting area is in the Court of Angels it's going to be right out there in the open...and now guests are going to be confronted with big gates. NOt only is it no longer secret, it's sort of shoving it in regular guests' faces that they can't get in.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• The "zip" in your doo dah

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    NOt only is it no longer secret, it's sort of shoving it in regular guests' faces that they can't get in.
    Exactly! Whatever the original design was for Club 33, taking away a beloved public area and making it exclusive to an elite group is going to be perceived as a slap in the face to many long-time Disney fans. I just can't understand why their executives don't understand this ... or just don't care. It's at moments like this that I'm glad that Universal is giving Disney a run for their money. I think the competition should help everyone remember that you can't keep insulting your core customers. They have increasingly good choices of where they can spend their entertainment dollars.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MonteJ View Post
    Exactly! Whatever the original design was for Club 33, taking away a beloved public area and making it exclusive to an elite group is going to be perceived as a slap in the face to many long-time Disney fans. I just can't understand why their executives don't understand this ... or just don't care....
    Diehard Disneyland fans from the 70s and 80s who return today after a 25 year absence will be struck by how many of the park's unassuming "quiet places" that they knew are now gone, many of them occupied by the ODV carts that erupted like an outbreak of zits during the Eisner regime.

The executives don't understand Disneyland from the point of view of a visitor who loves the park as a lifetime experience. Instead, they understand it as Disney has defined it for the last quarter century: not as a series of experiences and emotions but as a collection of separate revenue centers, each of which must make a profit.

The Eisner/Pressler philosophy of Disneyland, alive and well today.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-13-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

One more thing I've thought of...won't this sort of change the whole "secret club" thing?
    Exactly! Whatever the original design was for Club 33, taking away a beloved public area and making it exclusive to an elite group is going to be perceived as a slap in the face to many long-time Disney fans. I just can't understand why their executives don't understand this ... or just don't care.
    That aspect is a real shame, too. This article, which another Mice Chatter originally posted in other thread, compares the situation to the implementation of Fastpass 14 years ago: Clubbed (Mouse Tales' David Koenig) by David Koenig

When people waiting in the standby line weren't made to see the FastPass line, they didn't feel ostracized. However, when they did see the Fastpass line whizzing by, they felt "like rubes." The article continues:

The same principle has always worked in Club 33's favor. Few people rail against the existence of a private, members-only, booze-friendly fortress in the midst of Disneyland because they're either oblivious to it or accepting of it, because it's always operated so low-profile. It's not listed on any park maps, it doesn't have a neon sign, it doesn't allow drunken diners to throw beads down on the New Orleans Square from the balconies. Those of us who aren't allowed in are OK with it, mostly because we don't think about it. We aren't made to feel ostracized.

So, too, when we outsiders are finally able to finagle a reservation (through a friend's neighbor's mailman's uncle), we come to realize that Club 33's greatest asset is not its fine food, liquor or opulent furnishings--but its mystique. It's a thrill to be in on the secret, to relax in what was intended to be Walt's own speakeasy, while tens of thousands of day guests crowd below, oblivious the place even exists.

Admittedly, that mystique has become a little more mainstream over the years....But that mystique is going to take an even bigger hit, as Club 33 undergoes its massive overhaul.
    Thus, it can be argued that having a new, grandiose entry demystifies the club for the club member, while ostracizing the non-member.
    Last edited by The First Star; 09-13-2013 at 01:12 PM.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I used to take family pictures every year by the staircase in the Court of Angels. I could see my kids grow every year by that picture, because it was always around the same time. Just something special to me, but a lot of familes do that. A lot of out of town guests stumble upon that area and notice how nice it is and an ideal place to take a picture.

Based on some of the posts in here I should go ahead and take those memorable pictures in front of the Disney Vacation Club kiosk. Disney has to make a profit and what better place to take it than by Disney's "Best kept secret" While we are there we can tear out the Main Street Cinema, sleeping beauty's castle walkthrough, the taking down of the flag, because "no one really goes to Disneyland" for that silly stuff.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

A simple request: any and all personal attacks or deliberate bait designed to upset others or discount opposite opinions (on both sides) need to stop immediately. There have been many good and respectful posts and discussion, but an increasing tone of hostility. That will not be tolerated going forward, to the tune of posts removed, and some members will be contacted even about prior posting habits.

Thank you all for keeping discussions respectful and not posting solely in a way that will inspire other members to respond in a off-topic or attacking manner.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Minion

It's at moments like this that I'm glad that Universal is giving Disney a run for their money. I think the competition should help everyone remember that you can't keep insulting your core customers. They have increasingly good choices of where they can spend their entertainment dollars.
    And people should vote with their wallets. When the price of tickets went up significantly 18 mos ago, people were outraged and were going to vote with their wallets. And the parks remain crowded. When they went up again this year, people said "I'm not renewing". And the parks remain crowded. Two years ago when the new rules came out for Club 33, people said "They will never get new members", and they filled the slots with new members. And the parks remain crowded. Universal offers a nice product, and visitors coming to Disneyland often spend a day there. But few come specifically for Universal.

If you don't like what Disney is doing, vote with your wallet.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    There already is an elevator for the Dream Suite, it was installed after the renovation. It is require by law that they make it ADA friendly.

That's why they would use the excess amount of room in the Dream Suite or another location for the kitchen. A simple design change would fix your issue.
    There were plans for expanding Club 33 into the former Disney Gallery, which is now the current Dream Suite. Currently, Disney uses the Dream Suite for execs like Lasseter, and for movie stars as a perk when they sign on to do a film with Disney, kinda wonder if Tom Hanks/Emma Thompson and family stayed in the Dream Suite during shooting in the park.

It's isn't an accident that Walt Disney's private apartment was adjacent to Club 33's kitchen, too bad Walt wasn't able to enjoy what probably would have been the world's most exclusive room service.

I doubt they'll do anything with the dream suite, they spent a lot of money to do the make-over.

I think one thing we can agree on is that the Court of Angels is high quality WDI work, and that it is a "quiet place" that adds to the atmosphere, (and can be quite festive and is very beautiful) and that work of this quality is rare in certain areas of DCA. If CoA wasn't very beautiful, then they wouldn't have put Tiana's meet and greet there. To show the Disney brass that fans love this place, maybe people should post pics of themselves in this spot in a separate thread, I'm sure a lot of execs would be surprised that a lot of guests have discovered this area and that it resonates with them.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeDepot14 View Post
    People act as if they spend hours in the COA during every visit. Everyone here talks about the love and charm and the engagments that have happened there and how many "thousands" of people have enjoyed it and are going to miss it. What about the ones who have walked by it, no knowing it even exist? Whats about the people who are there for attractions and shows? The out of towner tourist... Do you think they give 2 mickey ears about the COA? Would a kid from Colorado rather see Mickey or some "quiet" spot in NOS? Think about it, the only ones opposed to this idea are the hardcore disney fans. Guys, nobody cares about the COA. The guy from New York doesn't care. The people from Canada, they don't care. The guy here for the college football game, he doesn't care. Its not even worth complaining about, it makes no sense. Its a change that needs to be accepted because when you look at a bigger picture you realize that most people, if of course they're not disney fans, don't care its going away. If things never changed Disneyland would become stale, if things stayed the same the product would become flat
    A good theme park involves discovery. It's a big part of what makes Disneyland and Disneyland Paris so much more engaging than the Magic Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Come on, the excitement has already started! The Club 33 (or will it be called Club CoA?) expansion is VERY exciting for the few hundred additional club members it will support.
    One more thing I've thought of...won't this sort of change the whole "secret club" thing? Yeah, a lot of people know about Club 33, but a lot of people don't - and they walk right by that nondescript door with the '33' medallion without even thinking twice.
    This is why I say these changes will not benefit Club 33 but in fact be part of its demise. Disney has already purged a significant portion of the famous waiting list. Now they are again expanding capacity, despite the tepid response towards the 1901 Lounge. There will be nothing special about Club 33 when anybody with the cash on hand is able to get in quickly.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    This is why I say these changes will not benefit Club 33 but in fact be part of its demise. Disney has already purged a significant portion of the famous waiting list. Now they are again expanding capacity, despite the tepid response towards the 1901 Lounge. There will be nothing special about Club 33 when anybody with the cash on hand is able to get in quickly.
    The profit margins for selling just high priced drinks are a lot wider than running a restaurant. Each division within DLR has a budget and expected profits,so not at all surprised that Club 33 wants this expansion. Plus more table space is a plus, during the 50th they put tables in lounge alley and close to the elevator! Not at all surprised that Colglazier would OK this move as they don't have to do much construction—mostly just a renovation, and they can start making $. Plus, the new area will allow for both presentations and dinning to happen simultaneously.

It really is sad for average guests that Alice still has a scaffolding and that the Court of Angels appears to be going away.

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast