Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14212223242526 LastLast

Re: Court of Angels IS going to Yesterland

Things like this are why I let my AP expire and did not renew. I have been very unhappy with how they are handling the park, so I'm staying home or going to other parks instead.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

It is true, you don't know what you have until it's gone. I admittedly didn't while away the hours back there. I would make it a point to pass through, take a couple photos and be done with it for the day. There are so many things in life in general you take for granted, but once gone, miss very much. It's not a brand new concept...

We all know that this isn't an E ticket attraction. That, at least to me, and from what I can tell to several others, is much of the whole point. It's a subtle detail that is far more important than it seems. The park needs big attractions, but another element that makes the park so wonderful and unique is the atmosphere and theme.

Areas like this one may go under the radar for the most part, but the theme elements around the park are carefully created to give you a sense of immersion that works on a subtle, yet powerful level. Theme awakens imagination and helps you "leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." I think the rides, shows and restaurants are much more dependent on the thematic touches in the park than one may realize. They set the tone, they start working magic on you, sweeping you away and preparing your senses to have an even more enchanting experience. Even the best E tickets benefit so much from well themed lands and queues. Disneyland is at it's best when it's engaging with your imagination.

Is NOS still a lovely area with this section closed off? Yes. But some of us do lament the loss of an essential element of the area, no matter how seemingly small.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by StarDustFairy View Post
    It is true, you don't know what you have until it's gone. I admittedly didn't while away the hours back there. I would make it a point to pass through, take a couple photos and be done with it for the day. There are so many things in life in general you take for granted, but once gone, miss very much. It's not a brand new concept...

We all know that this isn't an E ticket attraction. That, at least to me, and from what I can tell to several others, is much of the whole point. It's a subtle detail that is far more important than it seems. The park needs big attractions, but another element that makes the park so wonderful and unique is the atmosphere and theme.

Areas like this one may go under the radar for the most part, but the theme elements around the park are carefully created to give you a sense of immersion that works on a subtle, yet powerful level. Theme awakens imagination and helps you "leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." I think the rides, shows and restaurants are much more dependent on the thematic touches in the park than one may realize. They set the tone, they start working magic on you, sweeping you away and preparing your senses to have an even more enchanting experience. Even the best E tickets benefit so much from well themed lands and queues. Disneyland is at it's best when it's engaging with your imagination.

Is NOS still a lovely area with this section closed off? Yes. But some of us do lament the loss of an essential element of the area, no matter how seemingly small.
    Very nice post!
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StarDustFairy View Post

Beautifully and eloquently said!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Very nice post!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Beautifully and eloquently said!
    Thank you! :-) I am grateful to Micechat for providing all of us Disneyland lovers the ability to exchange our shared enthusiasm and adoration for the park!
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Agree. They should have had one there for a while and not just because the CoA is closing.
    We used one back there last Christmas.... They are there on weekends also.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Boy View Post
    The reason there's never been a Photopass photographer at the Court of the Angels before is because for over 40 years almost nobody went in there.
    I never found this to be true at all. I used to enjoy sitting in the Court of Angels and on most days there would be a steady stream of people passing through. Some stopping to take pictures... some stopping just to look around, take off their sunglasses and see where they were... some stopping to propose marriage.

• I do believe in fairies!

Wow! I waded through 18+ pages to get here. I can tell that many of you are very passionate about this subject. I've been to Disneyland many times over the years, first as a child, then as a teen, eventually as a parent and now finally as a grandparent. I just bought an AP for the second time. I can't believe I've never personally seen this little gem. We are taking the grandkids tomorrow so I will make a point of popping in if it's still open that is.

While I can't say I will miss it (since I've never seen it in all these years) I can agree with the people who feel at a loss for it's passing. I happen to agree that it's a shame that only a select few will now get to enjoy something that has been available to so many for so long. It is sad when Disney officials and big wigs take anything away from the average Joe.

Some of you have come up with remarkable alternatives. I especially like the one that suggested expanding NOS to the other side of the train tracks. Holidayland sounds fascinating and something I'd really like to see, but I digress, I give those of you with suggestions kudos. It's a shame you aren't part of the WDI team perhaps if you were there would be a solution that would please everybody. Ah, in a perfect world.

I hope that I will get to see the CoA before it's gone, if not I have wonderful pictures of it taken by photographers much better than I am. For those of you who are losing an integral part of your visit to the park you have my sympathies.
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

Court of Angels is now closed.
    Plywood blocks the inside of the gates and construction walls surround the ornament shop.
    Constuction walls are also next to the Mint Julip bar and the balconies above.

• Science Factual

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  92.9 KB
    Last edited by MyFriendtheAtom; 10-07-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Photo fail

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendtheAtom View Post
    It's such an UNAPPEALING space now. It has such an unfriendly aspect about it.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Bah, was hopping it would stay open at least until we go for Halloween
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    It's such an UNAPPEALING space now. It has such an unfriendly aspect about it.
    Good thing that's just the first construction wall put up before anything else is done to the exterior then.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Glad I took a ton of pics when I was in DLR last. I must have been clairvoyant.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendtheAtom View Post
    This disgusts me.

DISNEY, YOU S--K!!!